Hey guys and gals, has anyone ever added some sort of aftermarket air conditioning to their hoe? I have a 95 case 580 sk, and ive been bouncing the idea around of upgrading to a newer 590, but the damn thing works so well, its hard to get rid of it. Besides a few pins and bushings, and a couple of seals needing to be replaced, the only thing im really lacking is air conditioning. So, anyone ever add anything? Im hoping to stay away from looking for a complete wrecked machine, cause they are pretty sparse around here. Thanks!
Look into a red dot system maybe they have one. They make a lot of aftermarket systems and OE too.
You can always fit something on, and yes, Red Dot is one good possibility. You can go belt driven for the compressor, hydraulic drive, etc. Does it get that hot in Saskatoon?
Kysor made a nice little ceiling hung evap unit that had a low profile and cooled well but I'm not sure it is still made since they were bought by Bergstrom. For the other pieces, such as the condensor and the compressor and mount, and crank pulley, I would buy salvage from a donor machine, no reason to reinvent the wheel. Those cabs were a torture chamber here in the Ohio valley in the summer with no a/c. I have never been to the Great White North so I don't know how hot and humid it gets there. You mention a 590 as a wish, those machines are a good bit larger than a 580 aren't they? I was told that a 590 was the replacement for the 680 series.
Ive kinda checked into the red dots, I was hoping for something that didnt stick up on the roof. That was a year or two ago though, at that time i couldnt find anything that wouldnt stick up on the roof. Yes it does get pretty hot here! Seems like when I do the bulk of the work I do, its in the summer time when its plus 30. For the 590 yes it is a larger machine. Ive never actually tried one out, but I find I can always use a little larger of a machine! I live in an area where I road the hoe around quite a bit, and the sk i have is a good machine, but roading it around isnt its high point haha.
Look up a kysor/bergstrom ka-400 and see if that suits the space you have. It is interior only, nothing above the roof. That said you will need a condensor in the usual place, hence my boneyard suggestion. 30c or 85f ain't nuttin that's a cool breeze here in July!
Serious? Haha, anything over 30 and I damn near shut down!
http://www.hammondac.com/ you might try these folks. I checked with them in the past and they had a couple options for a 580k.