Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adding Counterweight to Mini Excavator

traildog1997 · 2025-11-20 08:59

Hello everyone, I am a trail worker building hiking trails with a John Deere 17g mini excavator. The zero-turn machine would not be my first choice, but its what my boss purchased and we can't buy any more equipment for another 10 years (government entity). A suggestion was made to me to add an additional counterweight, for better stability and comfort. Does anyone have any experience with doing this? If so, what is a good weight for the counterweight? I would like to get another machine, but that is not an option. Thank you.

Replies1
  1. #1Tags2025-11-21 06:37

    If you have clearance between the tracks and underside of the machine I’ve seen people have a pice of 3/4 - 1” plate cut to fit under the rear of the machine to add weight. Need to have it cut to line up with existing bolt holes and access panels for servicing. Also, it may be worth reaching out to John Deere to see if they have an extra counterweight you can bolt to the existing counterweight.