Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adding Electric over Hyd. Solenoid?

ReligiouslyCAT ยท 2014-08-24 11:05

Hello Folks, I was wondering if, I could add an electric over hyd solenoid on a skidsteer, more specifically, a Caterpillar 289c. This model does not have High Flow XPS, so it does not have any of those other couplers, or the 14pin electric control coupler. First off, is it even possible to add a solenoid control on the machine? Is so, how hard would it be? And the ballpark cost. Thanks, ReligiouslyCAT

Replies5
  1. #1Desertwheeler2014-08-24 11:54

    Cat probably has a kit to add more functions to the standard flow machine. That would probably be the easiest route mosy likely plug n play, price wise tho may not be real cheap? Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

  2. #2ReligiouslyCAT2014-08-24 18:59

    Thanks for the reply, I am kind of new to this, what is plug and play? Thanks

  3. #3durallymax2014-08-24 20:19

    It means no modifications required, just plug in/bolt on just like it would be from factory. Can't confirm it is the right number for your machine but the kit listed in the book for our 262C2 we had is 258-4125. That would include everything to add the work tool wiring. You can search for it for your machine under the same name "Wiring GP-Work Tool". IIRC every machine is prewired to a certain extent. I am a bit confused about what you want to do though. Do you have something with an EH block on it that you need to control with the Cat auxillary hookup? Or do you have something that you need to add an extra function to? If the latter is the case, you will need to also get an EH block with the number of functions that you need and wire it up so it can be controlled by the Cat auxillary electrical control as needed.

  4. #4ReligiouslyCAT2014-08-25 01:32

    Hello, Thanks for the reply durallymax, I am actually very new to this and I barley understand what you are saying, , all I know is that I would need the equipment to run these 2 attachments. http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/s...-hx-backhoe-w-hydraulic-thumb-aux-hydraulics/ http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/skid-steer-attachments/dozer-blades/eterra-dozer-blade-96-6-way/ Which would probably be a 14pin Electric Control for the dozer, and a solenoid backhoe. If I wanted to control them VIA the joysticks, I would basically need to buy new ones, which probably and most likely be expensive. Again, I am very new to this, and basically just got the unit a week ago. Thanks for coping with my lack of knowledge

  5. #5durallymax2014-08-27 22:05

    To run those you just need the wiring hookup on your skid steer. The way it works is you activate the auxillary hydraulics, then run the other switches/buttons/triggers on the joystick to actuate the functions electrically through the wiring hookup. Some things have the auxiliary hydraulics running something as soon as you activate it, this is usually only on things with a constant flow motor like a snowblower, trencher, planer, stump grinder, etc. You activate auxillary flow to run the motor, then use the switches to operate the additional functions. You should not need to change your joysticks, you are probably only missing two of the buttons on the right joystick. The rest of them are probably there. The manual will show you the number for each button, theres also a switch to turn the two speed trigger into a function as well. You may have to re-pin the harness to your liking.