Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adding hydraulic plumbing for auger attachment PC-50uu2

707pc50 ยท 2010-04-28 23:56

I want to add an auger to my new to me excavator, I was told the best way to go is to just have a mounting plate made to fit the auger that the local rental yard carries, then I can rent it for 60 bucks a day instead of buying as I wont often need it. The excavator has offset boom, so I was told by the previous owner to just instal a switch or a valve on the boom at the end of the lines that are for the offsetting boom, so I could switch the offset off and use my accessory, then switch back when finished drilling. Any advice on how to do this, I have an operator who can help with the mechanics, but I would like to have an idea of the best way to do this since he has never done this before either. What switch or valve should I use, or should I just use quick connects and unattach the hoses and hook on extensions out to the end of the stick? Thanks any advice is appreciated

Replies8
  1. #1soso2010-05-08 08:28

    why not just hang it off the end were your bucket goes and just use bucket control to spin the auger. on one pin it should hang straight

  2. #2707pc502010-05-08 19:03

    Any one have any pictures of this set up using the bucket controls and just hanging from quick connect?

  3. #3Hendrik2010-05-08 22:45

    I made up an adapter plate for my Kub 1.6 tonne What you have to consider is flow rate of the knuckle/offset boom circuit.

  4. #4707pc502010-05-08 22:55

    Would I be better off using the bucket curl/control circuit instead of the offset circuit? If the auger is freely hanging/swiveling on a pin, I shouldn't need to move it? But the downside is that if I ever wanted to add a brush cutter I wouldn't be able to use those hydraulics from the bucket control circuit, since I would need to be that circuit to be working for its original function.

  5. #5707pc502010-05-09 01:35

    What flow rate do you guess I will get out of the offset boom circuit? I though about it and this is how I want to go, mainly because if I add a thumb or brush cutter I will be plumbed for it.

  6. #6707pc502010-05-10 01:46

    I did some research and found out that the offset circuit should put out about 6.5, should be fine I think, the augers say 5-15? My question now is how do you plumb that, what valves do you use, I have been told you can do it with ball valves, but it seems you would need 4(two for the off set boom, 2 for the accessory circuit with 2 tees bringing them together. I would just switch one side off and on side on. I have also been told this is fairly easy to do with a electric activated diverter valve with a 12v switch in the cab? Or an I over complicating this and should I just use quick connects, and unplug the circuit each time, I really don't think I will be switching offset/accessory all that often? Thanks for the help, I am about ready to start getting this done

  7. #7Hendrik2010-05-10 06:39

    Another thing to think about is pressure, the offset circuit may well have a relief valve set at a low pressure because all it does is move the boom sideways. All in all you may be best of to plumb in an aux circuit. I do advise you to get the pressure checked to make sure your auger has some grunt. Pressure = power, flow rate = speed.

  8. #8707pc502010-05-17 02:25

    what do you think it would cost to have a mechanic plumb in an auxiliary circuit?