Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adding lugs to grousers

watglen ยท 2013-11-16 09:04

Hello everyone, I am at the point in the year when traction pulling the tile plow has pretty much vanished. It's time to think about adding lugs to the grouser bars. The D6R III currently has brand new extreme service 36 pad, which quickly load up with the clay silt I am in. Add a little water and they become slippery enough so that a couple of strong guys could likely push the machine around. I know its common for tile plows to use lugs on the track pads. There are pics showing them floating around this site. Is there a right or wrong way to do this, right or wrong material? Ken

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2013-11-16 12:27

    Have you tried track pades with trapezoidal (trap) holes in the shoes..? That tends to squeeze the clay/mud through the holes both into and out of the tracks. If you can keep the clay moving on the shoes maybe that might help...?

  2. #2watglen2013-11-16 13:13

    Hi Nige, yeah we looked at that for winter operations. My CAT dealer can actually punch those holes in pads if they aren't there already. I found a pic of the kind of additions I am looking at. It is pretty common in tile plows.

  3. #3cutting edge2013-11-17 10:02

    Call around to dealerships in northern bc and alberta....almost every machine up north wears them, and they sell them by the box up there