Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adding ride control IT38G

dozerdan1 · 2017-11-03 22:06

Hello, I am looking at a 2005 Cat IT38G II without ride control. I'm curious what the cost would be to install it at this point, and how difficult it is to do. Does the existing wiring harness have the needed plugins to add the switches/relays? Thank you in advance.

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2017-11-04 10:30

    I think it will depend on the Serial Number prefix of the machine you are looking at. I found documentation regarding the installation of a ride control kit on an IT38G II CSX-prefix machine but nothing for JAN-prefix. That does not mean to say that the same kit won't fit on a JAN-prefix machine, just that the documentation does not explicitly say whether it will fit or not.

  2. #2dozerdan12017-11-04 20:05

    Thank you sir! Yes this is a CSX prefix! Can you tell how involved the kit looks? Do you have a part number? The help is much appreciated!

  3. #3Nige2017-11-05 06:26

    The instructions are contained in a Caterpillar Special Instruction REHS1731 entitled "Installation Instructions for the 2Q-8075 Ride Control Kit". Your local Cat dealer should be able to print you a copy. 2Q-8075 is the Part Number of the Kit, your dealer would be able to give you a price. Basically the job involves: - 1. Installation of a manifold & solenoid onto a plate inside the machine frame. 2. Installation of the accumulator & a wiring harness. 3. Installation of some steel tubes & hydraulic hoses to connect the accumulator to the bucket lift hydraulic circuit. 4. Add a switch in the cab. 5. Charge the accumulator with nitrogen. 6. Activate the Ride Control System using Cat ET. (this might be a dealer job)

  4. #4dozerdan12017-11-05 20:03

    You've been great, thank you so much! Now one more thing: I've read in the Cat literature that a single lever joystick with F-N-R switch was an option, do you know if I can easily retrofit this machine to that style control?

  5. #5Nige2017-11-06 03:57

    Anything is possible if you throw enough money and manpower at it, but having seen both styles of controls first hand my thought would be that although technically the conversion would be do-able it would cost far too much money for it to be cost-effective, especially on a used machine.