Need to get rid of the bounce when roading this machine. Tires are filled with calcium and still have to much tread to replace them with new ones (75% remaining). Anyone ever attempted to add ride control. I would think an accumulator tank, valve w/solenoid, switch, hoses to both lift cylinders, and couplers.
Serial Number of the machine..? With that I could track down a complete parts breakdown of the Rid Control system. Effectively all it should be is a bolt-on, albeit a quite complex one.
Thanks Nige, SN# 31R00880
That Serial Number comes up as a 950B Wheel Loader. You were saying 928 in your post above - who's right..?
It is a IT928. picture was taken from side of frame. The city sold 2 of them at auction. The other is also a IT928 1 SN lower. thanks again.
I've never even heard of an IT928. The corresponding Wheel Loader would be a 928, the Toolcarrier variant would be an IT28. Does the machine have a Z-bar linkage for tilting the bucket..? The Serial Number definitely corrresponds to a 950B. Either way it seems to make no difference. Neither the 928B nor the 950B were ever sold equipped with ride control, it only came in from the F Series machines and newer. The best I can suggest is I can look at a newer model of both 928 & 950 and get the download of the parts required for the Ride Control from that. Drop me a PM with your email address.
Sorry IT28. [email protected]
Yes it does have Z bar linkage. With big IT28B on the side. For valving it has 3 valves and a electric switch to transfer the dump valve to a set of couplers on the lift arms.
I think all the IT machines had parallel linkage not Z bar. a full picture would help
That was the reason for my question. Loaders have a Z-Bar dump linkage, toolcarriers have a parallel dump linkage. I get the feeling it's a loader that has been converted into a "toolcarrier" by the installation of a quick coupler.
Guess I did not know what I was discribing. Picture to fallow as soon as I can get to a real computer. Can't post pictures from my phone.
What model engine is in it..? According to the information I have found the IT28B that was manufactured between 1986-1993 has a 3204 engine, the 950B (31R-prefix machine) has a 3304. Machine S/N 31R00880 was manufactured on 4th February 1982.
Here is a picture. I am not sure what engine it has. But can check later today if needed.
I don't know much about IT's but that does not look like a loader arm arraignment to me. Looked on SIS for 31R and this is what they show in the parts book for the bucket control/boom arraignment. That is what I would expect on a loader. And as Nige says 31B shows up as a 950B not an IT28B. Something is not adding up here! I know my SIS only seems to list machines made for sale in US so maybe I don't see all Prefixes, but the ones I see for an IT28B are: 1HF, 1JK, 5SD Is there by chance a S/N tag in the cab? Most of the bigger machines I've worked on have a tag inside that lists the major components, like engine, and transmission along with the machine S/N.
yeah thats an IT boom arrangement . thats a Z bar in the drawing above
You know there were some counterfeits being built in the middle east for a while.... or mebbe Finning made these out of spare parts? LOL
There were 2 of these machines made for the city of Juneau. I remember something about them coming from Canada but not sure. When I go to our local CAT dealer with the SN it comes up as an IT28B but they are the ones that sold them to the city in the first place. (NC Machinery) I look for more information before I leave town tomorrow. Any work is going to have to wait till I return from a road trip. Nige and everyone else, Thanks for your time on this I hope I am not a pest and wasted any of it. Question though? Am I barking up the wrong tree or is it possible to add a ride control option? even something home made would be better then the bounce it gives me now.
As others posted earlier that machine is defnitely a toolcarrier. It has a parallel tilt linkage rather than a Z-Bar. You're not being a pest at all. What I'm trying to establish is exactly what model your machine is based on. Once we have that it's not difficult to come up with the Parts List for the Ride Control system for the newer version of the same model of machine. Obviously that would not be a straight bolt-on but it would be the nearest thing you could get and more importantly the accumulator would be correctly sized for your machine. Back to the engine question which should give the answer once and for all. Does it have a 3204 or a 3304 under the hood..?
It has a 3204. Found a different SN on the paperwork 01HF02511
That's better......!! 1HF02511 is an IT28B manufactured on 13th August 1992. So as far as I'm concerned the closest Ride Control system would be one from a slightly later model US-built IT28F which would be an early 3CL-prefix machine manufactured in 1993. Drop me a PM with your email address.
So it looks like it may have been a 950 converted to an IT machine when built because the SN plate in the picture is on the side of the frame and the IT SN is on the original bill of sale. The sister machine is set up the same way. What year were the first IT"s?
According to what I can see it can't be derived from a 950 because the 950B's of that era had a 3304 motor in them rather than the 3204 in your machine. I am wondering out loud if the fact it was built at a Cat factory in Canada as indicated by the plate in your photo on Page 1 might have led to an error in the S/N plate markings, or if Canada even used different Serial Number prefixes. Your 2nd S/N 1HF02511 posted above is definitely for an IT28B toolcarrier. The earliest IT28s came off the production line in the 1984-85 time frame, depending on whether they were built in Europe or North America.
Just out of curiosity can you get a look at the S/N tag on the frame of the sister?