Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adding skidsteer

suladas ยท 2017-06-12 00:45

Going to be adding a skidsteer to my fleet, tired of borrowing my dads or brothers. Both have cases, so I am preferable to stay with same brand, i'd like to be able to use all the attachments we already have breaker, augers, forks, snow buckets, etc. I just want something on the smaller side, ideally something just under 5' wide, and 6000lbs ish so I can haul it with my mini ex on my current trailer, and still be legal with my deere 225 on my lowboy if I need it with that machine. So i'm looking for a 40xt, 410, 420, 420ct, or possibly a sr130 or sr160? I'm not opposed to other brands, but being familiar with the case and knowing some of the problems and doing the repairs and the dealer support is pretty good here. Other equipment is a Takeuchi and Deere, and i'm not really considering either because the dealers here are awful. Is it wrong to prefer the XT models? One machine is a 2000 75xt and other is a 2010 430 and hands down I prefer the XT. I find the controls to be narrow on the knees and kind of awkward on the 430, not to mention problems with electronics and the hydraulic bucket change is something I absolutely do not want. I've rented a terex pt-30 a few times and considered one, they are small and handy, but not being able to use other attachments and hearing of issues is making me shy away, and would prefer something just a bit bigger. I've asked a few rental companies and they say around 3000 hours they have wiring harness issues and some issues with hydraulic hoses getting cut and they get rid of them around that point because too many problems. A bobcat T110 seems perfect, but so rare, and a little worried about considering a bobcat. It will be used for backfilling basements, some concrete work, and just general grading. Tracks wouldn't hurt, but I would prefer wheeled to lesson maintenance costs. Machine might see 200 hours a year, not a lot of use so only looking to spend maybe $20k tops, and i'm in Canada with costs being higher. I will go older and lower hours over newer with higher hours, I think i'd like to stay under 3000 hours if I can. What would you guys recommend for a machine?

Replies1
  1. #1KSSS2017-06-12 09:51

    There is not a lot of difference between the XT and 400 series. I would get a machine that had 12X16.5 tires. The 60XT or 70XT are good machines 430 or 440 are better in my opinion. The SR130 and 160 both have the small tires and wheels so for me that is no go.