Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adjusting new steering cylinders on Case 580c

csthompson12 ยท 2013-07-21 09:25

Hello, I am installing new power steering cylinders on a 580c. You can adjust the length of the cylinders by threading the tie rod ends in/out. I was wondering what case calls for as far as adjusting the length? I should try to locate a manual.

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2013-07-21 10:47

    If you're talking about "toe in" it's usually something like 1/4"-1/2" toe in, unless you plan to take this thing out on the track.

  2. #2nova4812013-07-21 11:59

    hope this helps

  3. #3csthompson122013-07-21 16:01

    Thanks for that info, that does help too. But what I was wondering -- say the toe adjust is already set (using the rod that goes all the way across #2 in picture). Then I go to install the right and left steering cylinders. The steering cylinders have ball joints at the ends that are threaded into the cylinders. I was wondering how far to thread in the ball joints at each end of the cylinders. For example, when you turn the wheel, do you want the wheel stops to hit before the steering cylinders bottom out? Nova, would you happen to have the page in steering cylinder installation. THanks!

  4. #4alrman2013-07-21 17:11

    The steer cyl adjustments are discussed here - It is re a 580E, but the info would be the same as a C

  5. #5nova4812013-07-21 18:00

    how about this