Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Advice

Stripmine ยท 2009-01-20 15:35

Hello all, I've got a problem.. A problem I think a lot of people are having right now... I can't find work! I'm 21 years young and live in Northern VA. I know many people are unemployed now due to the economic situation and the season (Hopefully Obama will get some new jobs going with his revamping of the US infrastructure) but I'm curious as to how to get into the industry. By industry I mean anything to do with heavy equipment, light equipment, trucking, construction, mining maritime anything at all. I would even relocate if needed. I'm sure you have all been asked this or something like this has appeared on this forum before so I apologize but I'm really starting to loose all hope. I got my CDL thinking "Okay this should give me a bit of an advantage." but boy was I wrong. I wish I would have known then what I know now, its all about experience. My main question and what I don't understand is where did the experienced employees start? I've tried to get with a few across country trucking companies because from what I've heard they hire new drivers but I haven't heard back from any of them. I've tried almost every local company within a 25 mile radius of me and applied to numerous companies using the computer (Everything's so impersonal now how am I supposed to let my amazing personality shine answering questions to a computer?) Maybe you guys could tell how you got started what your doing and maybe help me out with a little advice I would sure appreciate it. I apologize if I came off as angry its not that I'm angry I just don't understand. I know some of you have probably heard this expression before when I was younger my dad would always say "well the world needs ditch diggers too!" if I wouldn't do my school work or something and I had always thought "Hell yeah they do! I wouldn't mind doing that" and now it seems like the world doesn't unless you have been digging them for years prior... ...Sorry that was a bad analogy ha. But thanks guys any advice would be greatly appreciated! -Josh

Replies13
  1. #1milling_drum2009-01-20 18:24

    Sine you confessed you will travel, you have to figure out how far you are willing to go and for how much money. If you type into a search engine "heavy equipment operators" you will get a number of hits not exactly related to what you want but there will be things to look at. Try to pin down a company that may have some work you can do and call or email them. I know the money sucks down here in Fl, but I had no choice if I wanted to stay working. Easy for me being single with no kids, I know alot of people don't have that option. Good Luck!

  2. #2Stripmine2009-01-21 00:36

    True I'm single and have no kids either. The search thing is a hit or miss some of the sites just seem to be made up for people to click on its dumb. Thanks for the advice though I really appreciate it! -Josh

  3. #3surfer-joe2009-01-21 00:38

    You might try the military and do your best to get into an engineering outfit or the Seabees. Otherwise, you may have to just wait for business to pick up. No telling when that might be. When the financial boys get all their bonuses and get each other bought out I guess and start loaning out some bucks. Right now, just about the entire country is hurting, job wise......

  4. #4stumpjumper832009-01-21 06:40

    Surfer joe hit the nail on the head, as usual. Look up the Army corps of engineers & the Navy seabees. Don't forget to look at the defence contractors like haliburton & kellog, brown & root. Other than that, its probably going to be a wait. When skilled, experienced, and connected operators can't find work, its just that much tougher for an inexperienced one without the connections.

  5. #5swampdog2009-01-21 11:15

    It's been a long time since I looked for a job working for someone else, but some things do not change. I remember responding to newspaper ads and finding dozens or hundreds of other people applying for the same job. One thing that always worked for me was going from business to business asking to talk to the person responsible for hiring. Most were not advertising for employees, but they often had a job that they wanted to fill.

  6. #6Stripmine2009-01-21 12:37

    Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately the armed forces won't take me because I'm a diabetic. I'm going to just keep looking I guess. I did get a call back from Dunbar Armored yesterday and I'll be calling them back today to see about that. It's not exactly what I was hoping for but maybe I'll at least get to drive a truck. (and carry a gun) -Josh

  7. #7surfer-joe2009-01-21 12:44

    Bad news about the medical condition, hope you are able to controll it. Keep your eyes open for newspaper ads, look on the internet at Monster or some of the other employment message type boards, there are many. Check out Craig's list for areas you might consider going to. look at InfoMine too. In todays job environment, sometimes just keeping an eye out for projects just starting, asking some questions, and showing up on hiring day will bring you some luck.

  8. #8Construct'O2009-01-21 13:13

    If you get along with family and friends:beatsme they might be able to help. Long time ago when i first started my brothers was working construction and got me on working with them right after i got out of the Army.I had no experience.Started out running junk(scraper sparemachine) worked my way up to better machine with the help of my brothers.Now own my own company. If your family or even good friends has a good work record for a company, they can put a good word in for you.Because the company knows your family or friends and they recomend you, they will sometime hire you, on that. Not all company ,but several do.Good luck:usa I might add in the old days just show up on work site,ask for the forman of the job, talking to him direct,would sometimes get you a job or aleast put on a list.These was small dirt spreads,not large. In todays world might not be as easy or possible!

  9. #9Stripmine2009-01-21 15:52

    Again, thanks guys for the help. Surfer-Joe I do keep my diabetes under great control I've had it for 12 years so I've got it down packed. I just recently made a resume on monster the other day and have searched craigs list a few times. I've never tried InfoMine though and will check that out right now thanks. -Josh

  10. #10Buckethead2009-01-22 00:20

    Stripmine, you might have to start at the bottom as a laborer and work your way up. A lot of people started that way nothing wrong with it. While you look for a job maybe get your CDL license, learn how to weld, any skill that might make you useful to a contractor that has equipment.

  11. #11Stripmine2009-01-22 01:02

    Thanks Buckethead. I do have my class A CDL I got it back in November. I would like to start out as a laborer but It seems no one is hiring or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

  12. #12OCR2009-01-22 01:33

    Advice: You can also carry a gun.... :cool2 http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm OCR

  13. #13Stripmine2009-01-22 20:31

    I know OCR unfortunately I don't have the funds nor a sufficient reason for my Glock 17 yet ha. Soon enough though. -Josh