Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Advice for a new guy?

Alabama Hammer · 2018-05-30 10:31

I'm an Army mechanic, getting ready to transition into the civilian side. I was wondering if y'all could help me with a couple questions. 1. Does CAT treat their techs good? What is it like working for them? 2. Do I need tech school? I have 6 years of turning wrenches in the Army, experience with just about everything from undercarriage to electrical. Would I make a solid candidate without tech school?

Replies21
  1. #1thepumpguysc2018-05-30 12:24

    1 thing I've seen is>> its VERY HARD to transition to mechanics IN A SHOP setting.. Seen it time & time again.. they/you/military personnel cant get used to "the slackers".. They last for "awhile" but it just gets to them.. Most of them are STRICK "by the book type".. Weather its drinking coffee past "start time".. or doing a procedure "faster & better"..but that's not how the book says to do it.. it just gets to them.. The people are GOOD mechanics..they just cant adjust to civilian life fresh out of the service.. THATS been my experience anyway.. I hope yours is different.. Good luck & thank you..

  2. #2Delmer2018-05-30 14:12

    I'd say six year wrenching in the army make you a solid candidate. Better than a kid straight out of tech school, not as attractive as a farm kid your age who's been doing it all his whole life. Even six years in the army scooping unicorn manure would make you a more attractive applicant than most these days with spotty work record, short stays at previous jobs, etc. A Cat dealer MIGHT be a better fit for you than an independent shop where you'd be working on a broader (unsupported) range of junk.

  3. #3Alabama Hammer2018-05-30 14:56

    Well I'm a farm kid too, so I guess I got that going for me as well. I have another question; if I get picked up and start working for say $14-15 an hr, how long before I can expect to start making a better wage? (Of course, given that I work my tail off and know my stuff). What is the advancement timeframe like for technicians?

  4. #4old-iron-habit2018-05-30 15:11

    It sounds like you have a great background. It might also be worth checking out your local Operating Engineers Union. They have a program for military veterans where they get preference getting in. Union heavy equipment mechanics here are in the $40.00 hour plus benefits. They are also in demand and good ones complain about getting to much overtime. Most have a company service truck also. Not sure what your area is for union wage but its public information and can be found on line or at the local hiring hall. Its nice to have a structured wage agreement and not have to scratch and beg for a raise when due. As a apprentice you can get credit for what you already know so advancement can be moved up if starting as an apprentice. Most base apprentice programs start at around 60% with advancements based on provided schooling.

  5. #5Delmer2018-05-30 15:12

    I don't know what the timeframe is in a dealer or anywhere else. I sure hope you start at more than $15/hour, you can get that in any factory around here, and we're not a high wage area. If you're single and/OR don't mind travel, I hear the railroads are looking.

  6. #6Vetech632018-05-30 18:48

    Expect a lower wage to start off. Most wont pay real good money until you prove yourself worthy. Now days, being on time EVERY DAY is a lot more than most can do. If you pass a drug test your even MORE on the plus side. A lot of dealers may send you to school, but it usually requires an employment contract with them. They don't like paying for it unless they know your going to stick around for awhile. I know in my area here, ALL of the dealers and contractors are looking for good heavy equipment techs, there just aren't many available. I haven't worked as an employee for over 26 years so things may be different now days. I prefer self employment...….its the only way to make decent money.

  7. #7dist32018-05-30 19:00

    Just looked at this website. http://www.thompsontractor.com/career-opportunities

  8. #8f311fr12018-05-30 21:34

    My grand daughters boy friend works at Thompson, He graduated from Nashville Auto Diesel Collage. I think he started around $24.00 per hour. He has been there in the main shop for about a year and really likes it.

  9. #9JD955SC2018-05-30 21:54

    Four years at a Cat dealer for me. They treat us pretty decently, decent benefits and all that. Pay varies I don’t have solid numbers to compare mine to some of our fellow mechanics say we are underpaid compared to other companies in the area others say we are ok. Probably no school for you with your experience. They will likely train you with in house classes on various things such as electrical, machine specific classes, and so on

  10. #10CM19952018-05-30 22:21

    As a customer of Thompson Tractor for 15 years, I can say they are a top notch company to do business with and employee turnover is minimum, which shows me they treat their employees as good as their customers. I would highly suggest you at least put in an application and see where it goes.

  11. #11walkerv2018-05-30 22:58

    If you want more phone calls than you can shake a stick at from recruiters , post your resume on monster and make it public my ex work phone if it is still activated is probably ringing off the hook if they power it up lol

  12. #12Numbfingers2018-05-31 03:03

    This is so very true! I went to work for several outfits after my military career and the ethics of some other employees frustrated me. Just gotta do your best to blow it off.

  13. #13dist32018-05-31 17:56

    Won't hurt too talk with there HR department. Take the time to speak with them and ask your questions. Looks like they have positions available.

  14. #14Alabama Hammer2018-05-31 19:42

    I'm actually moving to NC, Wilmington area. So it's Gregory Poole I am looking at. They have positions open, but I couldn't figure out who the contact would be to ask those questions

  15. #15walkerv2018-05-31 19:53

    I believe Raleigh is the main store just grab the 800 number off there website and give them a ring . I am in the carolina tractor territory

  16. #16catwelder2018-06-01 00:04

    gregory poole is pretty good from what ive heard there also hiring it seems to for techs all the time

  17. #17walkerv2018-06-01 06:16

    Every shop around and in charlotte nc has a sign out front that they are hiring . Yet when you have recruiters call you some of them choke when you name ur price and others are ok and say i think you can get more . For myself it isnt about the money Totally i have settled in nicely to my new job , and have done a good enougj job in 6 weeks time to get 2.00 raise .

  18. #1863 caveman2018-06-01 06:30

    It seems to me that most shops want to hire at a lower hourly wage and then have you work 60+ plus hours a week to make a respectable pay check. Also it seems those same shops that don't pay much have a hard time letting you take time off to live a little. Strange that a $15 to $20 a hour guy is that critical to their operation?

  19. #19thepumpguysc2018-06-01 06:38

    Amen to THAT caveman..

  20. #20catwelder2018-06-01 12:01

    charlotte is a huge place just like Raleigh enough contractors there is a demand

  21. #21Tarhe Driver2018-09-02 10:03

    Alabama Hammer, I am a lurker here, with occasional posts of admiration for the incredible advice, and humor, seen on HEF. You are wise to be seeking advice from this fine group. Here's an angle that you might not have considered (or you may be so fed-up with the Army that you just don't want to consider). Once you have figured out where you're going to live and you have a job, join the National Guard or the Reserves. While it's still the military, it's a lot different than the military you have experienced. I had 4.5 years of active and 17 or 18 years in the reserve component, sandwiched around a 7-year break. I started out as an E-1 11B10. Yes, you run the risk of being deployed, but there are some strong federal laws that prohibit employers from penalizing you for military-caused work absences. It's kind of a pain-in-the butt to go to drill once a month and to two or three weeks of summer camp, but as a retiree, it sure is nice to pick up my wife's and my medication free on base (we are lucky in that the base is only 20 minutes away), or we could get them in the mail for about $10.00 per prescription, and to get a little retirement check once a month. At some point in your life, if you don't already, you will want to be in a position to impart knowledge to others, and being an NCO or a warrant in the reserves would allow you to do that. There would also be the opportunity to be an AGR (Active Guard and Reserves) where the retirement is the same as if from active duty. There's an Engineer BN in Raeford, which is about 100 miles from Wilmington. If you do consider the guards/reserve, go spend a drill-day with the unit you're thinking about joining. There's also an INF regiment in Wilmington, I believe, and they probably need good mechanics. Good Luck!