Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Apprentice Question

NPGC · 2018-05-31 02:57

I just scored a 101(got extra points for a class A) on the test to become an operator apprentice. Haven't got a call yet but they say above 95 has a good chance. I am currently a groundman for the IBEW power lineman union. Its really taking a toll on my body digging holes by hand and crap like that so I thought I would test and see what happens. Just wanted to get some opinions from you guys. 1. Is the workload good for operators/apprentices right now and in the foreseeable future? 2. Should I stay on my current path and become a lineman or switch to an operator? I know lineman work a lot and make a little more but I usually don't see many past 60 years old still working. 3. The union where I tested has a few options. Heavy Equip operator, Inspectors, and mechanics. Any opinions on the best choice? Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1Vetech632018-05-31 06:52

    OK, this is just MY opinion from what Ive seen here for years...……… Heavy Equipment operator- Air conditioning and heated enclosed cabs, don't get real dirty, not extremely physical, 40 hour weeks with most weekends off. Heavy Equipment Techs- The only a/c or heat you get is driving between jobs, a lot of lying in the snow or mud, sweat to near heat stroke, Bust your knuckles constantly, cuts are expected, long hours, sore as hell where you have a hard time getting a good nights sleep, dealing with superintendents or operators that think they know more than you do about fixing things, little appreciation, rarely weekends off. Its a no brainer to me. This was a light hearted view so don't any of you operators feel disrespected.

  2. #292U 34062018-05-31 09:34

    You forgot to mention that operators have some excellent skills. Like being able to break a machine in the absolute worst position or location for the mechanic to fix it lol.

  3. #3NPGC2018-05-31 14:27

    Thanks for the reply really eye-opening

  4. #4Welder Dave2018-06-01 00:34

    I'm curious how old you are? It sounds like you don't like doing grunt work but I think you're going to have to do some of it no matter what career path you choose. I don't know if any employer is just going to throw you on a machine without seeing what your work ethic is like. Cleaning mud out of tracks isn't too fun but still needs to be done. Knew a guy that had newbie learning how to dig pipeline. Newbie got in a hurry and drove across a frozen swamp without checking it and fell through. Only kept his job because he hooked up the cables to pull it out.

  5. #5NPGC2018-06-01 16:58

    I just turned 40. I know my body can take it right now but I want to be able to last in a career until 65+. Thanks for the info. Thats a crazy story about the swamp.