Hi all, I turned 18 on the 10th and got my permit a couple weeks ago. I'm scheduled to do my skills test on the 28th. I have been practicing on my own quite a bit. Does anyone have some tips for my road test? How critical are they of small things such as shifting while you make a turn or palming the wheel a little bit? Or coasting a little when you come up to a light? And also with floating gears... I can float smoother than I can double clutch so I am tempted to just take my chances with that. The test consists of the pre trip inspection, backing maneuvers (straight, offset, parallel), and then on road driving. I am still refining my shifting, but for the most part I am able to find every gear. Any help is appreciated or any insight from anyone who has tested recently. Just having a difficult time keeping my nerves from getting to me. My truck is an 86 FLC 13spd Cat 3406B and a 25ft tag trailer. The truck isn't perfect but everything inspected during the pre trip on this truck should be acceptable. Thanks, Keith
Keep in mind, if you use your truck and trailer, you will not earn a fifth wheel endorsement, and thus will not be able to drive a tractor trailer combination. Nice looking rig, BTW.
In my case, I had a hired instructor. He worked with the DMV shop daily, and would tell you what they wanted to see. For instance, no shifting in an intersection is ridiculous. So you would just verbalize that, "not supposed to be shifting in this intersection but the light will change 3 times if I don't." Lots of gray areas for sure. You need to find out what is expected in your local area if you can. Also Shimmy's good point about the 5th wheel. That restriction did not exist when I tested. I am not 100% sure it exists in every state yet but probably it does by now.
There was talk when I was training an individual in 2018 of upcoming changes that were going to disallow shifting through an intersection. Don't know if that were ever enacted however. "Floating gears" will not be allowed and I've had a "student" failed on the test for exactly that. You mention "palming" the steering wheel; I wouldn't as "10&2" is what they are looking for when not shifting. Nothing wrong with wheel sliding in your hand on the return to center completing a turn however. You must keep in mind this is a test so I really would recommend you read that CDL manual, memorize a lot of it, and don't vary from it during the test. Hopefully you don't get a "ballbuster" for an examiner also. I've had students failed for jumping a tire on a curb during a tight turn. You can scrape, or drag a tire on a curb twice before failure, and only climb a curb once for automatic failure. It's not difficult to get through the test at all. Just memorize the pretrip inspection well as most have problems with that. Nerves are tense at this time and it's easy to forget small and seemingly trivial items, but it's these items the examiner(s) are looking for in your knowledge base. I've had a heavy truck license since 1978 and was "grandfathered" into the CDL program when it started so I'm sure there have been a few changes along the way I'm not aware of.
So much varies area to area. Floating gears is fine here, just not allowed to switch once you pick a way. Shifting in intersection fine, just not while turning. Hitting curb with tire at all is instant fail. They do not like coasting and it's a deduction. Don't overshift, here they just want to get into low range, going down to 1st or 2nd just increases chances of missing a shift. Big thing is cannot leave cab unless both buttons are pulled regardless if wheels are chocked. Chocking wheels on trailer before starting to unhook. The walk around best to bore them to death with so many details they stop listening. Some of these questions you can also ask before test starts. I got a good one I asked about one hand on steering wheel and was told it's fine if you want, just 5 point deduction. Chances are the examiner isn't looking to bust balls, they just want you to demonstrate you are a safe driver and know what to look for. Miss a few things on the pre-trip and a few minor things on the drive and they will likely not even dock for it. Basically about 100 things I do on a daily basis that would be a fail on a test
They want to see double clutching here, also all down shifting no coasts.
In AZ, do they require a 5th wheel for a non-restricted license now?
Yeah it'll be an O restriction on the license.
Thanks guys, I am aware of the 5th wheel restriction with this rig. I will do the best I can with double clutching. I’m studying the section in the manual that describes on road driving and it’s funny how much DOT contradicts themselves over and over. Thanks for the advice, I will let you know how it goes.
I did it 8 or so years ago, my younger son 4 years ago, Older son just did it. I suspect the test giver intends to fail you first try. I don't know about your State, VT will require you to go to CDL school after January 31 2022. The computer test is multiple choice. They typically offer two or more correct answers, you get it wrong if you don't answer word for word a quote from the manual. Pre trip inspection; They give you a checklist to inspect. I failed first time because I didn't mention headboard or landing gear on the trailer. I pointed out it wasn't equipped with either. He answered: "You need to mention that it doesn't have them. I also failed to mention the condition of my windshield or mirrors. The docking maneuver is more difficult with tandem truck & pintle trailer. More accurately, you need more room. I took mine in a five x two transmission. I pointed out the operator's manual instruction to not split shift an empty truck, not split shift down a steep hill, found nothing difficult about road test.
This is common everywhere, mention everything on the list even if not equipped. In my case you can rent a truck for testing in. I would suggest you do this so you don't have to go back ever again, they only make it harder and harder. Of course if you get in with pintle restriction before they add the school requirement maybe all it will take is another road test to remove the restriction in the future if you already have the class A, who knows.
That's a good point, it's easy to miss minor things like that. Have to say windshield clear, make sure defrost works, wipers, high beams, that you have fire extinguisher, triangles, and wheel chocks basically everything. Tester might not dock for every minor thing but they also might, and here I think if you miss like 7 things on pre-trip it's a fail. And all it takes is missing 1 of something like checking a tire even if you mention all the others.
Any tester with that intention should not be testing. I've done 3 road tests and 1 was like that, he was a "New Canadian", believe 1000% he was passing his people for bribes. Failed me on pre-trip because it was winter so truck was running and loud and said he couldn't hear me, I was pissed and said it's my job to say what i'm looking at, it's your job to say if you can't hear me, it's not my problem if you don't. It almost cost me huge, it put me over the timeline for new schooling requirements, after a lot of back and forth with government BS they let me test again, it was a lady probably in her 50's passed no problem. Wasn't one to let you get away with anything and if you didn't know your stuff you were failing, but not one to give you a hard time. New test same thing, a older guy who wasn't out to give you a hard time but needed to know your stuff.
Not sure what it is like in the US, but I suspect it is the same the world over. If you come to a stop sign. It is probably a good idea to actually stop. I won't say what I did, but it was not a good idea to do during a driving examination.
I'm about to send a couple guys to get there's. Im interested to see what all has changed since I got my A 20yrs ago.
They just called me cancelling the test because of "weather". Soonest I could be rescheduled for is 1/6. Now I'm starting to think I should test with a tractor so I never have to deal with these people again...
Cost me 10 bucks for a written in 1974.
Load your CDL up and don't look back, get the Tanker and Double/Triple endorsement too if you can. All you have to do is take the written portion of Tanker and Double/Triple then you got more room to move about in life if something comes up, but yes get the tractor trailer instead and do it with a manual. I did it all last month with my own rig, I don't drive for anyone and I'm retired but still you never know what life will throw at you, best to have it and not need it.
Yeah, I mentioned in response, I had driven 20 miles to get there. I checked windshield & mirrors before leaving home.
Make sure and read the section on swinging chickens. Most fail on that one.
Zachary (my younger son) did it while in college in my single axle dump with 9 ton trailer. His only restriction was fifth wheel. He graduated from college with no prospects in his field of education. Next day he was driving a dump truck on one of those federal financed projects making $36. per hour. When he moved to New York, somehow the fifth wheel restriction got dropped. I used my truck, got the same license as Zack. Seth used my next truck with Allison. He had automatic only & fifth wheel restrictions. He then borrowed a manual transmission truck & took the test again. The beast (35 year old FORD tandem dump) had what I believe was a malfunctioning clutch. It really only worked well floating gears. Somehow he passed. He has been driving fire truck 17 years, but fire trucks are CDL exempt.
I got mine in 92, the union had a cabover and 45' flat so no restrictions. FIrst thing that happened, he brought the truck to Yakima for the test and one of the cans on the trailer was blown and we had to cage it to get started. What I recall is being nervous and revving too high, just settle down and take it easy no race to the finish line. Willie they did that on my new crane card too. I did not take the tower refresher but it is on the card again.
X10 yes. As others have said get all you think you will ever want, need or might on your license now. When I tested all it took to get an A was a truck and trailer combo over 26K GCWR. Took the road test in a single axle Hino 26K automatic air braked truck with a 14K pintle electric braked trailer. At the time (mid 2000's) in AL that's all it took to get a Class A. Had a super cool tester. Here in AL the DL examiners are State Troopers that don't carry a sidearm. Knew I had a good one when during the pre-trip I was rounding the rear of the trailer about to go down the passenger side of the truck and she said - "You can go on to the skills test if you want to as you can't miss enough on the other side to fail the pre-trip". So off we went to the skills test which went well. On to the road trip. She hopped up into the passenger seat with a smoke in one hand and a big gulp in the other - never asked if she could smoke in the truck or not and I didn't care, at the time I smoked as well. Took off on the road trip and she asked " what was the posted weight limit on the bridge we just crossed?". I replied - "There was no posted weight limit sign" - correct answer. We tooled around the little town and 4 lane HWY where she wanted me to perform an emergency stop on the 4 lane. I missed the hazard - turn signal sequence, forget which way I did it but it wasn't correct. After the emergency stop she says - "Let's go on back, you know how to drive a truck". Got lucky with my examiner. Now with AL's CDL rules I would have an auto and pintle restriction on my license. Glad I got it when I did.
Yeah sounds like the examiner really makes or breaks it. I think all of the examiners should have at least a couple years as a CDL driver.
Not sure if it's a requirement here in AL but she had driven over the road. She spent 1/2 her working time giving 16 year olds driving tests and the other CDL's. Remember her saying the kids scared the **** out of her and she really enjoyed the CDL tests.
Too bad you don't live in Washington St. The guy who tests our new hires is also a Wash St CDL examiner. He gives the exams in our truck yard, I see three to four exams a week. Some don't pass, most do.
When i did my class 1 a few years ago the woman didnt like that i called it a throttle pedal and not a gas pedal. I did it with a 53 foot trailer in a a tight down town setting and if the trailer crossed a solid line anywhere you failed. There is many horror stories about her in this area. She is gone now. Load up with every endorsement you can. I run a excavator and this year when i was looking for a new job i had the choice of what ever company i wanted to work for since i can drive any truck they own.
Pay attention to road signs. They will ask you about one you just passed.
I have two large trailers, both the same dimensions, 18' flat, 5' beaver tail. The lighter is 10000LB gross Vermont law, CDL is 10000+ trailer. The tester sent Seth away, said his trailer would suffice if it were rated 1 lb heavier. Had to make a new appointment & bring the heavier trailer.
Are they going to change the CDL in febuary i cant get a concrete answer?
Yes it will be Federally mandated everyone that doesn't have one attend so many hours at a school to get one depending on which class you get. No more going in and taking the test as individual, you must go through a school.
I've took mine twice at a driving school. Back then it was single axle auto with short lowboy. Walk around was hardest for me but the lady inspector I got last time was great. I forgot the horn and my teacher knew I had failed but didn't. She did get me for palming the wheel and using to much road on a narrow blacktop but passed. We have a business in town that does cdl classes with a single axle and short single axle trailer. He has people from all over the country come in. I'm at a point now I could almost run farm plates but it probably won't be long till all farmers and help have to have a cdl.
I'm probably going to get the forth degree for this but as far as I'm concerned farmers should have to have one now and have to follow the same rules.....
Yes and no can you imagine how this would affect farmers. I dont have the answers and i dont think anyone else does ether.
It might not hurt some of them to have to live like the rest of us! Aren't laws suppose to be equal for everyone?
I could not care less how it effects farmers. I do care about my family and friends who are on the road with them while they do ridiculous things. It is a business like anything else and should have to respect the same rules.
Here farmers need license same as anyone else, no reason not to if they are traveling on public roads, when they brought in new regulations they did give farmers longer though because of harvest which made sense. Only thing I don't agree with is moving equipment on road without a license, you should at least need a basic drivers license to drive even farm equipment on a road. Where they get it easier is things like plates and inspections.
This is Merica!!!!! No, there is NO equality! Get used to it. Some get a bigger share than others.
Practiced double clutching and backing maneuvers today. Definitely getting a better hang of shifting. I feel pretty good about testing now.
Nice, Keith. Just remember to take it easy and no rush.
Thanks.
Yea beat up on farmers all the while the Swift boys and Western Express are out and about lol.
Have not 'Double Clutched' since I went to trade school, an unnecessary physical exercise that also taxes machine components.
Might as well take the tanker endorsement, then you can be a water truck monkey.
Sure does wear on throwout shaft and bushings in the clutch housing no matter how much they're greased. Seen a lot of torque limiting clutch brake tangs torn out from students thinking they need to "floorboard" the clutch pedal during double clutching also.
Driving test is a base of skills, shifting clutchless is a Skill, evidently the Testers have no such skill.
You need a Drivers license to drive anything on the road in Mo.
How long has that been in effect Doug? When I was young we'd be at family's farms during harvest around St. Louis in the county, Tuscumbia, MO, Puxico, MO, and Poplar Bluff, MO and never needed a driver's license to operate farm equipment on the roadways. No interstates of course which is still the case.
Farmers are not as bad as guys under CDL weight. If instead of making it tougher on every one if they would crack down on what going on that would make more scents .
I dont know but i read it in the Drivers book. I did it to.
It's been about 47 years since those days for me but from about seven or eight years old, it's what the kids of the families did during harvest. If you were big enough to reach the pedals and controls, you were big enough, and expected to operate the machine. Some of the best jobs and most fun I've ever had too.
My Dad sold trucks when i was 9 he found me a wood block to set on after that he would say find your block. I loved every minutes of it and luckily nothing bad happen. I never had kids but i dont know if i would turn a 9 year old lose with a truck i was a teenager before i ever drove a car or pickup.
Its the same difference at times.
I lived through it alright and as far as remember, never got hurt anything bad. Was teaching my son when he was three how to operate the shift handle on the auxiliary in my B61 as he could easily reach it from the rudimentary car seat he was in. That truck has very short throw shifter(s) so about 5" of movement is all it takes. He got pretty good at the timing before kindergarten. Daughter same way, but she rode between the seats on a platform I'd bridged the gap with. Both kids have spent hours mowing grass on tractors but my wife won't mow ditches, nor would she allow our daughter to. My son, well his attitude is simply "*uck it", if Dad can do it, I can better and he's had his ass handed to him more than once as you cannot beat experience. Fortunately for anyone that's a parent, that hardheadedness goes away when they enter their 20 somethings. Never had that problem with my daughter however as she's always been closer to dad than many are. Either one could be trusted to drive at 10 with an automatic trans and power steering. Never tried with a manual on either kid but daughter certainly was capable at 14 as I'd have her bring my truck out to the shop if I'd driven a customer car out there and wasn't returning soon.
Went back thru OLD History lesson today and double clutched a few times just to see if still had it, Still Do, and STILL prefer Clutchless Shifts.
Yes, I absolutely agree. Just doing it for the test. Sometimes you have to play their darn game...
Thanks, when I tested for my permit I got tanker and wiggle wagons endorsement. Was interested in hazmat but have to be 21 for that.
I got my CDL A last year after 18 years driving on the farm without one. Study up on the inspection. YouTube tutorials are an excellent resource for this. My examiner was fairly easy going. He warned me before we left the office, that 90% of his fails occur during the inspection. The other 10% come from skills test. Said he had never failed someone during road test in his 10 years of being a CDL examiner full time. I did ask him when we went to start the road test, if floating the gears was allowed or if I would have to double clutch all day. He flat said he did not care, and would not fail someone for operating a vehicle safely. So, I floated them. Took that part of stress out. I was taught to double clutch when I was first introduced to big trucks by my grandpa, but I never got smooth at it.
You also have to re-test every 3 years for Haz-Mat too. https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/sites/phm...zmat_Transportation_Training_Requirements.pdf
Written, changes for HM with new rules and eliminated rules. I download booklet EVERY time have to take it. As to inspection point and be VERY Vocal. As in Point at Drive seal area, ‘Looking for grease contamination’. Point at springs and bushings speak out what looking at, check Tire pressures BEFORE take test, get gauge out and check inflation. The inspector will say when if has heard enough!!
Yes, they will. I got about 60 minutes into the inspection, being overly thorough, and my inspector said "yep, we're moving on".
We only get 20 minutes to inspect truck and trailer and 15 for just a truck.
This guy is a trainer in the same town I will be testing at. Best video I have found.
My sister teaches for GED classes she also helps in the cdl classes at a collage. She brought her book for me to look at i have another cdl book also there are so many questions that are stuff that is only know from a book. She lives over 3 hours away. If i cant get my cdl before they change things that will be a deal. I will run my truck till i get caught or buy a lighter junk truck and use its title on my truck. If i have to i can haul my truck on a goose neck behind my pickup to the test place unload it hook it to the goose neck take the skill test reload it . At least i could pull a goose neck with it. I have alot of friends and customers that owe me a favor but getting the stars to line up will be a deal there is also the rent a test trucks. Nothing is easy
Here, you must be accompanied by a Class A licensed driver. I worked a deal with my younger son's boss, He was a retired executive, who started a landscaping business. Having one truck requiring CDL he had gotten his license & most of the time his truck wasn't being used. It was a real ordeal for me. First trip for a road test requiring a heavy truck & trailer, I had been told I wouldn't need a medical card for in state travel. The test was April, the law was to change in July. I showed up for my test, Tester: "Where's your medical card?" I: "You told me I didn't need one." Tester: "Who told you that?" I: "You." Tester: "The law's going to change in July. We're enforcing it early." Next trip, he failed me on the pre trip inspection. I didn't mention the landing gear or headboard on the trailer. I also failed to mention windshield & mirrors. Next trip, they had no record of me having an appointment. By the last trip, my CDL licensed driver backed out on me four days before, said his truck wasn't registered, & he didn't have time. I understand, four trips to DMV 50 mile round trip was a lot to ask. I scrambled, spent $2000. on my own 35 year old truck, got it ready. I found a retired trucker who kept his license, but admitted he couldn't pass a physical. He accompanied me. Thank God, they didn't ask him for his medical card.
No medical card or can't pass physical-no license. To get a cdl-well it's not hard enough-installing tire chains should be part of the test also. No slack. Chains are part of the safety equipment/required to carry winter months, driver should have to prove they can correctly install them. Maybe I should send everybody's friend Pete a note to make that a federal cdl requirement
Edit- I deleted my first paragraph after looking up more info on chain laws. I made an incorrect statement and didn't want to be providing false information. When I worked for SLB, anyone that was going to drive a heavy truck had to take their HVT course in Kellyville, OK. Part of the requirement to pass was properly chaining a truck in an allotted amount of time. They had an old set of trailer tandems mounted on a riser to practice on before your scheduled test.
I'll do it, but the tester is going to get bored watching.
At one time i could chain up my 2wd pickup about as fast as some could lock in their hubs. I ran a all season rounded shoulder tire in the winter so the chains would go on easy.
I have been hitting the books and i think i will go take the written part tomorrow. The more i think about it the more i am leaning to using my truck and a gooseneck . I need to see if any of my buddys in St joseph have their cdl if they do i could drive my truck stop off at my brothers get his newer trailer then meet a buddy to drive it to the test place. I need to go to stjoe and see if i can find a driver and maybe a trailer or what it cost to rent a truck.It sure would be simple if i could take the driving part in town. I could get a farm truck or borrow a trailer easy for my truck and get a driver with out filling like i am put any one in a spot.
Call the cdl places and see who rents. Star Truck Rental here does CDL testing with rental trucks. The cost of my CDL A test with a tractor/trailer rental was $275 in June of 2020. It was an almost new truck and a 53ft van. Best part is they can not fail you for the rig you test in. If the examiner (star truck rental emoyee) says the truck fails inspection, Star Truck would void their own rental agreement and have to replace it as per the agreement with a unit that does pass inspection. Around here, there are several stories of guys failing their test because some part of their truck they provided failed inspection. Not worth the risk. Another CDL examiner, a bit farther away from me, also has a truck to rent. An old F750 with a 5 speed, single axle and a 30ft, single axle, van trailer. All with air brakes. Meets the minimum requirements for a CDL examination without having any restrictions, super easy to drive, and cheap to rent for your test. They charged about the same as what Star charged me.
The only thing better would be something with a rear window and a flatbed type trailer. So you can look all around and have no blind spots.
Good luck. The written for me wasn't very hard but lots of the questions were splitting hairs. For example there was a question something like this: What is something that would not be damaged by rough acceleration? 1. Coupling damage 2. Tire damage 3. Mechanical damage I don't remember the answer all I know was I got that one wrong.
I called a rental place he is booked till april but he told me that if i get a permit and i took the skill test before it ran out the Feb 16 deal wouldnt apply to me. He also told me i didnt need a air brake trailer as long as the truck had air brakes. I have took every test i could find there are alot of questions that if you didnt read it in the book you wouldnt know.The hardest test i ever took was on train brakes it was every tuff and you could look up the anwsers in the book. You could take it 3 times i didnt think i had a chance ever passing it. One day at the mourning meeting the foreman sad Doug you must be one smart ------ ------. I thought o no i felled the test big time but he went on to say not only did i pass but i made a better score than any one in the shop had ever made.
The only correct answer was a quote from the manual. I believe the manual was written at Home Depot, where the only forklift operator must be the Down's Syndrome kid. 20 Qualified operators carrying flags, while the Down's Syndrome kid feels his way through it.
Years ago they used to give you back your test sheets with the answers marked right or wrong. Our employer had them stashed in a folder so you could study them. Then they decided that was super secret squirrel stuff and did not give them back any more. That way if a question was stupid or wrong, no one at the DMV would be called to account I suppose. Now it is all done on a computer. There is really no accountability that way.
I use that on the boss regularly.-------Secret Squirrel and Morocco Mole cartoon.
I worded that wrong he said if i took the written test before Feb 16 and got a permit i had till the permit ran out to take the skill test and the Feb 16 deal wouldnt apply to me i will ask them today and find out what is what. I am not afraid of the skill test but it wouldnt hurt to have more time to get the truck deal figured out.
I passed I felled the first two parts of the test on the first try but i only missed 2 on the first part and 1 on the second part when i retook them.I advise any one that is going to take the test to read the book. I took several practice test but the real one had stuff on it that i hadnt tested on. I ask about the new deal and they told me yes i wouldnt have to go through the new stuff if i took the skill test with in a year.
I PASSED!! The whole test was easier than I thought. I had a pretty laid back examiner she was an old Indian woman. Pre trip was easy, you basically just have to know the items to inspect, not so much in a certain order. She directed me which areas of the vehicle I needed to inspect. Front of the vehicle / engine compartment, then in cab inspection with air brake test, door area, and then had me inspect from the bed back to the end of the trailer only on the drivers side. Since both the truck and trailer were tandems she told me to inspect just one axle from each. Backing test was easy. Trailer just seemed to go right in the hole, glad I practiced. Driving test itself was pretty relaxed as well, however I did make a mistake when she asked me what the speed limit sign said on a road I did not remember, however I was not exceeding the limit... Double clutched during the whole test and floated it on the way back to the yard. What I gather from this experience is that if you know your stuff, practiced, and don't talk too much but ask questions if needed and be respectful and courteous you should have no problem. Unfortunately she made me wear a mask while we were in the cab together driving... very frustrating... it is my truck. But I have a license now so that's what's important.
Congrats to you!
Thank you
Now you just need to get rid of the 5th wheel restriction and try getting that trailer in the alley dock test portion, You got your foot in the door now, now just need to open it up with removing restrictions and adding endorsements.
Congrats! It's a good feeling getting that endorsement on your license isn't it?
Congrats @Keith Merrell !
Thanks for all the help guys! I have the 5th wheel restriction unfortunately, but I have tanker and Doubles / triples endorsements.
Gotta love the gov't! Now you can pull 3 pintle hitch trailers legally??
I wonder if you will have to go through the new deal to up your cdl in the future?
I'm going through this right now. Just got my training finished through my employer and need to setup a test. I will have to clarify with the DOL, but the examiners I have talked to said if your training is finished before the Feb 7th date you just have to pass your skills test before your CLP expires. My biggest challenge is double clutching our old mack and making sure I don't miss something on the pre-trip.
So what I have read is that the new rules apply to "first time" CDL applicants of any class. And also if someone wants to upgrade from B to A, get hazmat, or a school bus endorsement. What I was told at the DMV was that if you have tested for your Commercial Learners Permit before February 7 2022, then you have as long as that permit is valid to get your test. What I found most useful to learn the pre trip was to watch videos, I linked one earlier in this thread that was very good. And also just spend some time practicing talking out loud what you are looking for with the truck you will test in. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll pass. My friend who did road tests for a trucking company said that he wasn't really looking at if anyone scratched a gear because of their nerves, he mostly was looking to see if they were keeping it between the lines and being observant of traffic.
congrats! In case you are not sure, you put on a mask to protect others and not yourself. That seems like a reasonable expectation when riding around with a stranger helping you get a license. Enjoy your new certificate!