Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stripped T bolt on tank strap … any ideas?

RenoHuskerDu ยท 2021-12-21 20:58

I know straps are expensive. Mine are not rusted out, but one T bolt is stripped. I was thinking about just cutting it off and welding on a new bolt.

Replies8
  1. #1Tyler d4c2021-12-21 21:07

    Done that before right wrong or indifferent but the new ones where stainless

  2. #2RenoHuskerDu2021-12-21 22:11

    Mine are not stainless. Easy to weld, no rust in Central TX

  3. #3Jonas3022021-12-21 22:44

    weld on new bolt if you can or unfold strap if you can insert bolt and weld back up Maybe its just stripped right where it tightens up if there was enough room to put a spacer,washers to get back to strong unused threads

  4. #4Tyler d4c2021-12-21 22:50

    The new tee bolts where stainless tho the straps should have been to and the whole rest of the truck too.

  5. #5shortbox2021-12-28 05:22

    I used a larger nut as a spacer then put on the correct one. Got the nut onto better threads

  6. #6RenoHuskerDu2021-12-28 15:19

    The problem is getting the old nut off. I'll try putting a load on it and backing it off. But if it's going to booger up the threads on the bolt, all the way out, I'll just cutting disk that nut off. I can chase the threads on the bolt, but they'll be weaker after getting damaged.

  7. #7Jbullfrog2022-01-08 20:49

    Use a nut splitter and split the nut

  8. #8RenoHuskerDu2022-01-08 21:54

    I tried to bend the stripped T bolt straight so I could back the stripped nut off until I got to good threads. The bolt snapped as soon as I put some moxie on it with a strong tube. It was a 1/2" bolt. So I got a 9/16" slab anchor bolt and welded it onto the broken T bolt. Problem fixed without buying a new strap.