So, this is pretty difficult. I started my quest a couple years ago to find a job as a heavy equipment operator. I talked to companies about it though most wouldn't even talk to me and all of the others wanted experience. I'm 22 years old now and that is still pretty young in most employers eyes. I took 3 years of drafting/land surveying back in high school and grew up around farm equipment. My father owned an excavating company when I was little so I have always had a passion for it. I do not have a whole lot of hands-on work. I started over a year ago working on cell towers where I have gotten a little experience on an excavator and track loader while digging foundations for the towers. I switched companies a while back, thinking I was going to be doing the same thing and making more money. Well, I am making more money but I was misinformed and all this company does is antenna work. It was fun at first but I am getting burnt out on it and got to where I hate climbing. So what I'm looking for is some advice on approaching a company about being an operator and a good place to start without an apprenticeship through the Union. Thank you.
Can you get your old job back? It's highly unlikely that you're going to find an entry level job that pays what you should be making now, as a climber. Do some research, see which companies have recently been awarded contracts and get in touch with them.
Just my 2 cents. I'd be pretty happy to have full or part time work right now. Where I am now if we do hire it's only those out of work and not those looking for a "change". Pete
I made the mistake of walking out on them, I have tried to get back on a couple times since then but I burned that bridge. Huge mistake on my part. I make good money climbing but I'm not real happy doing it. I would rather be digging holes and making less money. Where would be a good place to find info about the contracts?