Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Chevy 1500 rims

nedly05 ยท 2009-10-19 19:32

I have an 07 1500 with 17" rims that I want to put snow tires on for winter. We have a decent pair of snows at the shop that are for a 16" rim. Can I buy 16" rims for this truck and have a set of snows mounted for it? or will it screw up the computer? Thanks!

Replies10
  1. #1bill onthehill2009-10-19 19:44

    If the bolt circle and offset(dish) are the same you should be OK. Watch the dish as they will rub on your brake calipers. I ran into this on my 3500 chevy with my studded diggers for winter use. One rim is 1/2 inch different and since I put new pads on it will not clear on the front hub.

  2. #2carogator2009-10-19 20:31

    that will give you a different speedometer reading. it will show you going faster than you really are.

  3. #3hvy 1ton2009-10-20 00:36

    Tire size is the only thing that will affect speedo readings. 16's should be fine, but the offset might cause problems. I doubt the 1/2 ton brakes will get in the way, but the tires might start rubbing on different parts of the truck with wheels with the wrong offset.

  4. #4nedly052009-10-20 01:50

    Thanx guys! Im looking for them online, anyone got a favorite place to get them?

  5. #5hvy 1ton2009-10-20 13:42

    I've bought stuff from both tirerack and 4wheelparts. I'd start with 4wheelparts, they are more truck oriented.

  6. #6nedly052009-10-21 05:21

    I'll check them out, thanks. So far I can find any basic cheapo rims. I just want some black "wagon wheels" everyone just has fancy stuff!!

  7. #71923mack2009-10-21 11:11

    Need to find some used wheels. Lots of guys buying new aluminum wheels. The old steel wheels go for sale cheep. Find local custum wheel shop. Check the Outside diameter of your 16's. The OD of them and the OD of your stock 17" tires will be the "difference" on your truck speedometer/odometer. More than likely the difference will be minor, 1 to 3 percent. So yes your reading will be off that amount. But when the tire wears down you get 1% misread. Going fron 16's to 22's will made a big diference on hte computer, 16's to 17's probably not to much.

  8. #8nedly052009-10-21 19:39

    Thank You!!

  9. #9jeff452009-10-28 20:41

    the diameter of the tires will make the difference not the size of the rims. if you have 33'' tires on 16'' rims your speedo will read the same as 33'' tires on 22'' rims.

  10. #10hi-ball2009-10-28 21:16

    As I do so me auto recycling I would suggest to see if auto wrecker might have a set, I would buy 1 rim & try it for fit. Around 2000 chevy & other makes went to a metric bolt pattern so anything prior to that probably wont fit. Shane.