I realize my machine being 2wd is not going to be unstopable in Muddy conditions. Although I do wonder if there are any ways to improve its traction, even a little. How about tire chains? or are those only for snow and ice? I never really get "stuck" because I use the buckets to get out. All that does is make more work repairing what I had to dig up to get out. Thanks Guys :usa
Mud will always be a battle with a 2wd machine. One thing you can do, which costs nothing, and will work wonders in some cases, is to use that hoe as a sort of live counterweight. That is, if your left wheel is spinnning, and the right one isn't, swing the hoe a little (or a lot), to the left. Something as simple as putting more weight on the one side and taking it off the other can be all that's needed to get past that slippery spot. Sometimes just stretching the hoe out to the rear will give you more bite with the rear tires, and takes some of the weight off the front ones. Experiment... (CAUTION: Don't forget that now you've got machine parts sticking out where they usually aren't. Smack your truck, or the customer's building, with the hoe and it won't have been worth it. Also, you've changed the machine's center of gravity, so it'll behave differently. Don't find yourself on a slope rolling over sideways, or have the front wheels come off the ground so that you have no steering. )
Airing down the tires in the rear slightly will help too. You don't want to road too much like that though.
If you don't have a locking differential, you can also apply a little brake to the spinning tire to even out the traction to both rear wheels. With a little practice, you can get pretty good at it and it is almost better than a locking differential. Low tire pressure helps a little also because the tire is then flexing while going through the mud which helps traction and also helps keep the tread from packing. Sometimes partially applying the parking brake (if that is possible on your machine) acts somewhat like posi and helps keep one tire from spinning too freely. Practice, practice, practice.
A 2wd backhoe is a pain in the butt as you are finding out. Running rear tires with good tread helps you may have to sacrifice good ride when roading on pavement for traction. Something like the Michelin XM27. A 2wd backhoe is good if you spend 95% on pavement say doing utility work but for any kind of offroad work 4x4 is a must. I have ran old 310 and 410 Deere 2wd backhoes and your always stuck. Got onto running 590 Case 4x4 and JCB 4x4x4 both machines go anywhere. Even digging into piles of dirt with a 2wd you really have to work the bucket to get a full bucket.
I disagree. Like others have said, shifting or adding weight is the key. Newer machines have a better balance to the back and operate in 2wd very well. One of the one's we tested was a 99 416C. The yard was muddy and it filled the front bucket effortlessly and it was only later that I noticed it was in 2wd. The same effect can be done with the tips listed above on an older machine. I will say the most of the time I prefer to avoid the mud altogether. 4x4 will handle it, but I wind up making more of a mess than there was to start. Chances are if it is giving you that much trouble, you shouldn't be there with a 4x4 spinning with who knows what hidden below the surface.
I have had good luck getting a big bucket of dirt with the hoe to improve traction, in the mud and digging into stock piles. Just an Idea I do it all the time. Just rember the front is going to be a lot lighter.
I had a JD 410 2wd for 12 years and got it stuck twice in that time, and once was of my own doing. One time I was pushing back snowbank not realizing the bank dropped off and the front axle dropped over the side. I was on pavement and didn't want to damage it pulling with the hoe. The other time I was hogging out a pond and the spoils sloshed all under the machine. When I dropped down off the stabilizers I couldn't move, had to raise the machine up with the boom and had a farm tractor pull it sideways to solid ground. It was very rare for me to work on pavement and I didn't have much trouble getting where I wanted to go. It seems things are always tougher in the Great White North, not sure why anyone would want to stay there!:beatsme
All good suggestions to try, I also agree with trying to avoid it. You may be able to do that by cutting the first few inches off the area you're working and stockpiling it to dry it. Also if possible drain off any puddles to a low area with a hand shovel before you run the machine.
Something else you can do for more rear traction is hang the boom out behind the machine. This transfers weight to the rear putting more on the axle. Just be careful if you have to turn at all, the boom will swing wide when extended.
Wow! Thanks for all the Great advice Fellas! I have tried putting the Hoe extended out as far as it will go and it did help a little. I never thought of using the brake or filling the rear bucket, so I will give those a try. The way I see it is I bought the Machine for a great price, I'm not in business or doing it for money. So getting held up here and there doesn't really matter to me that much. There's always the next day. Thanks again Guys :usa
I used to plow with 2 wd backhoes id have the stick out all the way when i got stuck. it wasnt fun, but it did the job. if you can get a 4wd soon.
I can drop by and give you some pointers someday if you like.I have thousands of hours in those 580's,I live in the next town to you and am retired.Ron G
That would be Great! You can help clean up the mess I've made, lol
That would be lovely,I replied to your PM with my cell number. You will be surprised at the simple things that an old timer can show you that took us years to figure out for ourselves and make a big difference in production or setting yourself up to work.I'll give you a buzz next week sometime.Ron G