Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Advice needed.

aussie-farmer ยท 2007-02-19 03:49

I was on the Kobelco SK120 for about 8 hours yesterday,Twice over 6 hours, the system monitor beeped 6 times and read - CAUTION - STEP MOTOR CURRENTLY NG. The machine operated as no problem and walked and dug as new ! What does this mean, as this display is not listed in the operators manual? And I couldnt find anything called a STEP MOTOR in the parts manual! Please advise what this may be. Many thanks. Cheers.

Replies6
  1. #1Squizzy246B2007-02-19 05:00

    G,day Aussie, step or stepper motors are generally servo's or control speed monitors such as a governor. That aside I would say that the unit has a bad earth, likely on the ECU or the battery itself....either that or you are digging up a power cable Sorry not a Kobelco expert but that fault should be emailed to your dealer as soon as possible...and ring to follow up. Welcome to the forum.

  2. #2aussie-farmer2007-02-19 05:36

    Thanks Squizzy, I will give them a call, They are booked to do a service soon. I wonder if that is what stops me getting full revs it only increase in engine revs, up to 6th click out of the 10 on throttle sometimes ?? I noticed on one occasion no revs, turned of for lunch and returned to find normal power all afternoon. Am yet to see if it coincides with the warning beeps etc. What do you or others make of that? Cheers, and thanks for the welcome.

  3. #3Squizzy246B2007-02-19 06:30

    I'm no expert but have had some similar faults. Bad earths on the relays or dodgey connections on the relays will do it....there will be a bunch of relays somewhere. One of these is for the engine control module/unit. If your conditions have been either very dusty or very wet (normally dust does it) and one of the relays is not getting a good power supply all sorts of weird and wonderful things will happen. Some of these relays have individual earths to the chassis and a healthy coat of paint doesn't help the ground. A skid steer (Bobcat) I used to operate used to stop and go and stop and go then refuse to go....it was dust in the seat switch which was popularly remedied by somebody with an ample weighted posterior bouncing up and down in the seat until the dust was dislodged. Replacement of the switch also worked for awhile Anyway, I could be way off the mark and you need that fault code checked...but I'll wager its a power supply problem to the Engine Control circuit.

  4. #4Wulf2007-02-19 06:57

    Aussie/s... If the engine has a throttle motor/potentiometer and a linkage from the motor to the fuel pump it could be improper synchronization between the motor and the feedback potentiometer... I'm guessing that it could mean a defective throttlr motor or improper adjustment or a seized linkage. If it doesn't have a motor and linkage, unplug and replug all your throttle connections to ensure good connectivity. If it still plays up go to plan B and call your dealer.

  5. #5kmajacko2014-08-08 01:57

    Hi just wondering how you got on with the problem. I had the same problem with mine. turned out to dry solder connection on the control board .

  6. #6aussie-farmer2014-09-27 19:37

    hi Apologies for the delay, but wanted to wait till after major service to respond. Essentially still has the issue, not a major concern but would be nice to fix as it can occur when you are in a precarious position and with no revs to move could fast get ugly ! During the service we put a new stepper motor in and a new harness which was the obvious place to start. Still randomly occurred. Next was to install a new computer ($2400) but mechanic couldn't get it to play up at all and he worked the machine for over an hour. Said he couldn't justify the expense. Next day, in first 5 minutes it came up with the error again. A few times that day it did as well, however with no effect to revs unless you moved the dial and would either not alter or would go back to idle and remain there. Switch off or wait a minute or 2 it generally all worked fine until next episode. Thinking it may be in the computer but if it doesn't work there is a non return policy and I don't want the problem + a $2400 bill ! Your thoughts people. Cheers.