I'm looking for any assistance on the best mini to buy. This machine will be for my property - moving basalt boulders, building boulder retaining walls, digging out to install new water/sewer lines, and removing an old concrete patio are the projects I have planned for this summer. I am new to using an excavator and want a machine that is simple to operate and has limited maintenance needs. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you have.
I can’t say what’s best, but can share my experience. 1st machine was Bobcat e42, full cab extendible arm, angle blade, traditional tail swing, extra counterweight. Good machine, but after having it a few years, traded up to Bobcat e50R2, full cab, standard arm, fixed blade, zero tail swing. Reasons, likes, dislikes: Because of the angle blade, counterweight, and extendible arm, overall weight of both machines are very close. Both are at the high limit of what I can haul without getting my CDL..important to me because I don’t do this for money or move it very often. Undercarriage and blade on e50 are much heavier and stance is wider. Along with the standard arm the e50 is much more stable and less tippy than the e42. I prefer the zero tail swing. I do a lot of woods work. Nice not worrying about banging trees with the counterweight. The e50 is much more capable in regards to digging power and lift capacity. The angle blade and extendible arm were ongoing maintenance items on the e42. Although handy from time to time, I don’t miss them. I’ve been happy with the Bobcats. I’ve got a good dealer that takes good care of me. With the exception of a couple hydraulic leaks and self induced issues they’ve been pretty trouble free.
Who is your best product support dealer near you? Answer that question first.
I have said this before, but mini excavators across the board by far have the fewest warranty issues of any other types of heavy equipment. The numbers I last saw were around 1.7%. You really cant pick a bad one mechanically. As mentioned dealer support is a consideration, but maybe not as critical as it would be for some other types equipment. Since it doesn't sound like you have much if any experience with them. Really with the exception of a few models a swing boom mini ex is much the same as the next. The question becomes what size of machine do you need, coupler hyd, or mechancial? Thumb? direct link or Prolink? enclosed cab or open ROPS? Different buckets you want on hand and so forth.
wondering how the e50 at 11,800lbs is non cdl territory? You’re using a trailer?
If he is not operating as a commercial entity, than CDL rules don't apply. Same reason people can pull a 20K toyhauler RV down the road with a standard drivers license (except in Cali I believe). If you are operating as a commercial entity than there is no way you could pull that much weight and not be in CDL territory.
First of all welcome to the Forums Whohaven! The first question is what's your budget? You have to have a somewhat realistic budget for a machine in todays times. This is the second most important question IMO -
It gets tight but an f250 with high capacity trailer package and gvwr of 10800, 11800lb machine and a 3400lb equipment trailer.
I would like to extend this conversation, not because I have anything useful to add, but because I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one too, maybe soon. I hope this post will add to the conversation, not look like a thread jack. I have eclectic needs. I have a property I'm trying to build a house on. I've already done some work. I want to... do everything from digging utility lines, to knocking over some trees, dig some stumps, dig the footings for the house, install the septic tank and system ect. Aside from that, I will use it in my business. I have a single axle dump truck and a tracked skid steer. I do small residential work. An excavator will definitely expand my capabilities. I would like to get an 80 class machine for the needs on my property. I'm mostly considering 50 class machines because of cost, portability, access in residential jobs. For my business, I just shop for jobs I can do, I'm a small time owner operator. I think an 80 sized machine, while legal for my truck/ trailer, will be a lot for my old truck to haul around the grades where I live. I have older paid for equipment right now, and having a loan is scary. The payment on a 50 sized excavator is less scary. On the other hand, there is overhead in just hanging up your shingle, as I'm sure everyone knows. And owning payed for stuff can cost a lot as well. I've preliminary talked to Kubota and Takeuchi about the kx-057 and tb260 respectively (and the kx080, and tb290). I'm also interested in the yanmar vio55 (and 80 I guess). That's all I have to add.
If you have not done this before, don't get too hung up on a bigger machine being better. Sure, I like big iron it makes many jobs trivial. The big caveat is access. I have a 35G with a cab, and a 120. I work around contractors with 50 and 75 sized machines and frequently I can do things that they simply cannot due to machine size. Look hard at those 50~55 machines. They can get a great deal of work done. If things are going well you can rent a larger machine and get it delivered when you need it. Don't bid for that job unless the money is in it for you with renting. When you think Oh if I just had that 80, get a 200 delivered for a week and you'll have a good laugh about that
Wow. Thank you so much for all the great tips! I am so appreciative! I would like to stay under 100k for budget. My property is in Salem, Oregon so there are a variety of dealers that are very close. The machine will never leave my property so transporting it is not an issue (except for service, of course). I am also planning on building a new home next year (hopefully building materials drop in price a bit before then) and I would like to do the excavation for the foundation and utilities as well. I have been looking a bit - my Bobcat dealer is recommending an e32 for my needs - they also have this machine in stock. I have operated a mini once before and I loved it. I am quite excited to own one. The machine will be only for my own use - I am not going into the excavation business ( I am a nurse - and a female). Appreciate any other advice or tips!
Thank you for this info. I definitely want a thumb and have decided against an angle blade. Open or closed cab doesn't matter to me. I don't know enough about excavators to answer your other questions - I'm sorry.
Thank you! I would like to stay under 100k.
My property is in Salem, Oregon so there are lots of dealers very close to my place. Portland is also only one hour away.
Thank you so much for all this information!
Just my opinion, but with your budget and your plan not to transport it, I’d go for something bigger than a e32 size machine. I think you’ll find the work other than digging (stumping, rocks, lifting) where you’ll want more than the e32 can deliver. I’ve got a 30” flail mower for mine that’s really handy. It’s much more productive on the e50 than it was on the e42.
15,000 lb bumper pull trailer and 1 ton GMC Duramax (single rears). I’m right on the edge. I only move the bare machine. Buckets and attachments separately. Not the most efficient, but back and forth between my own property a couple times a year I make it work.
This is a job earlier this year where a 50 was too big. I could not backfill that elevator shaft hole on the right, it was not ready. This is one access to an area with a bunch of plumbing This is the other. That Kobelco behind me was not going through there If you are going to be working in tight yards and between buildings, don't over-machine your way out of a job. Don't get me wrong, I use the 120 every chance that it makes sense, but I'm so glad we did not opt for a 50.
Thanks for the additional information! Attached are photos of the sizes of the boulders I want to move - would the e32 be appropriately sized to move these? My yard is full of them so when I excavate for utilities I will end up digging up more. I am wanting to extend this retaining wall with the boulders in the first photo.
It's going to be a slow go getting one of those out of the ground if you find it in an excavation, but it is doable. Those 5 gallon? plant pots in the background give it some scale. Even if they are 10's, those rocks are all technically doable with a 35 sized machine, but they are awkward to a little big for the size of the bucket and thumb combination. It is down to technique on what you can grab and do. With a little machine you need to plan and grade out a path so you are not ovestressing your tracks trying to move with big rocks, where a bigger machine will just grab them easily, and reach much farther with them and need less road building. If you have not done this then do take your time and dp more prep rather than less.
I sincerely appreciate all the advice! Plants in the back are 5 gallon pots. I have attached a few more photos with a tape. The second photo is a boulder is just found digging with a shovel last weekend. It is 3 feet wide. Most of the boulders are around 2 feet but I do find some in excess of 3 feet. What sized bucket would be best for these?
A 35 can lift more weight up close than it can grab. This leads to awkward and potentially dangerous situations with huge rocks up against the house, sitting on top of the blade where you can't reach them, binding up against tracks, generally knocking the crap out of you. I am no trying to be discouraging, just pointing out the hazards of moving big things with little machines. It takes time to figure out how to do it safely and efficiently, but they are truly amazing tools. Whatever digging bucket it comes with will work. I'd go for the standard 2' bucket on a 35, and if I planned on doing mass dirt moving and grading, get the 3' smooth edge bucket for a second bucket. I went for a 42" for our new mini. Get your blade down with good technique and I can toss a lot of dirt and grade a large area a bit faster with that.
Thank you and I understand what you are saying - I don't want to damage my house either! The retaining wall next to the house is thankfully complete - the guy who did this was amazing and a dear friend, but he unfortunately died from a heart attack two years ago at only 54 years old. Where I am extending the wall is not against the house. My property is big and all the work I need to complete is a safe distance away
Just think of those tracks on the machine as your bare feet in sandals try and be nice to them.
One thing I may have to add, I forgot that I also talked to bobcat. This is nothing against them but, at least in my area, and the dealer that I talked to, the numbers that they told me were significantly higher than the other brands for similar sized machines (so much so that I wrote them off and forgot about it). Again, nothing against bobcat, but If you are budget conscious (and i'm sure you were already going to do this, I mostly just wanted to bump the thread lol) I would definitely talk to the other dealers in your area and see what they have to offer.
What other dealers would you recommend? Any thoughts about New Holland?
I think I've narrowed my search down to Kubota, and Takeuchi, but there is also Yanmar, and Deere, Komatsu... you get the point. I don't know anything about new holland, I would just visit and shop whatever dealers are in a reasonable distance. Please keep us posted if you pull the trigger on one. I was just thinking to myself today, If I had gotten more serious when I was looking around a couple months ago, I would maybe have my machine by now, and probably at a better deal, but I digress.
I would look hard at the largest machine you can get without all the exhaust after treatment headaches and determine if it will handle your situation. Also I would consider a cab with A/C and heat. Kubota is my go to brand but I would also consider a Tak or Yanmar if there was a good dealer close.