One of my drive motors quit pulling today. I pulled the planetary cover and the little center shaft that sticks into I'm guessing an adapter stripped the splines and the piece it sticks into is stripped smooth. I'm just guessing the piece it sticks into is some kind of adapter that hooks to the drive motor. All the other gears look good. Can the back and drive motor be pulled without pulling the track off? I've got a call into a shop but Friday afternoon nothing is going to happen till Monday. I'd like to pull it apart this weekend and be ready to order parts if they are available.
Take pics and post here
It could be the sun gear shaft connets directly into the hydraulic motor. If this is so then you're up for a new rotating group in the motor. Sorry for being a gloom merchant but it's the way the numb nuts have designed them.
I hope not that would be about as dumb a setup as you could build. Looks like I'm pulling the track and complete drive assembly today then. I did some looking and it starts getting pricey for the complete setup. My outer planetary set looks good. This shaft and splines are really delicate it looks like for an application like this.
You are right the shaft goes into the female end of the drive motor shaft. Looks like I'm buying the whole package even if I could find someone that rebuilds I can't go the down time.
I have seen around $4500 from an outfit in Texas for new drives. They also sell parts. What I'd do is buy one to get the machine working and rebuild the worn one yourself, they aren't that difficult, a new rotating group, new bearings and seals and new sungear. The rest of the planetary should be good if there's no chunks of metal in it. The other side drive will fail so having one on the shelf will cut a chunk of downtime.
That's the one I found looking around. Calling them Monday morning. I think I'll pull the cover on the other one and check the splines. I'd rather send the broke one to someone that knows what they are looking at to have it rebuilt. Down time usually cost more than the repairs and I depend on this machine a lot at times.
Got it ordered today actually for a lot better price than they advertise. I asked him twice about the price. He said they seem to have a life of around 3500 hours before the planetary gives out. Mine has 4000 or so. I can see this after taken them apart they look fragile. Asked him about rebuild and he said not worth it with the wear on everything.
Got it on today real fast service, the good is it mounted perfect. The bad is minor, the sack of fittings they sent with the drive motor fit absolutely nothing. The boss between the big drive hoses rubbed the nuts on the ends of the hoses, one side hard but I finally got them tight. It seems to run ok I don't have the track on yet. I guess time will tell.
Hope you filled the motor with before running it.
Motor had oil run out of it when I pulled plugs. I am going to check the planetary today just to be on the safe side. Next is getting the allen head bolts loose and getting the sprocket changed over. So far I haven't got the a bolt loose with impact and there's not much room between the planetary and bolts.