hey guys looking to get a backhoe and stumbled upon this site via goole. I was in need of some knowledgeable advice before i pull the trigger on this hoe tomorrow. I'm not going to use this daily and looks are not a concern to me. It's a 85' 580E ext-hoe 2wd that starts and runs great, idle needs adjusted. Doesn't appear to have a lot of slop where the hoe connects to the tractor. Hour meter and tac do not work but i was told it has a lot of hours on it. They were asking 7500 and i think i have them talked down to $6500, $7000 for sure... I'll try to attach some pics on the bottom. I havn't used a hoe in about 6-10 years and I'm not sure what exactly to look for other than slop/wear in the hoe. Were there common problems with this particular model? I had my 15 mo. old daugter this weekend so i only got to check it out for about 20 minutes. This particular machine was rolled over and has no glass or broken glass. The metal is mangled a bit. Would anyone have any idea what a new cab or what glass cost's? or if these parts are easy to come by? Things that it needs replaced that i notice are: new cylinder seals on outriggers and bucket cylinders. case dealer quoted $25 a set and seem easy enough to replace. Valve cover gasket and Fan belt. When looking under the unit from the step, i would assume its called the transmission, whatever the driveshaft is connected to appears to be leaking on the input shaft. Is this seal fairly easy to replace without getting into a lot of specialty tools? The previous owner said that the fwd/rwd clutchs were replaced recently, would this seal have been involved in that operation? A piece on the hoe was replaced and welded on. not sure how to describe it but where the ext hoe attachs to the other arm had a new hole deal welded on. previous owned said it was like that when he got it 9 years ago but has held up good. He also said that there was some slop on the ext hoe and would need the nylon deals that it slides on replaced. I appologize for my first post needing help and a lot of questions. This is going to be a new adventure for me while i await back surgery, so forgive me for my rough descriptions of the parts. I've tried to google some stuff but the little one doesnt allow much pc time. Thanks in advance for any help!
I take it that you have found a leak in the transaxle (differential/gearbox, so to speak) If so, you should be able to replace the seal without much drama, providing the drive shaft yoke isn't worn. If you get a chance, check out the handbrake too. It's the shaft below the driveshaft and should have a disk and mechanism on it. Sometimes the disk gets flogged out on the spline and causes problems. Seals on the rams are easy too, although somewhat time consuming. Check out the 580k basket case thread for fan belt and seal replacement. (pics) Try checking out the casece site as well. The spare part diagrams are a great guide. Good luck!
Thx for the reply ando and i tried to edit my post in your thread but i couldnt find an edit option. The previous owner mentioned that nothing was connected to the ebrake handle underneith and that it hasnt worked since he got it. Also missing was the button on the bucket lever that interrupts the tranny. To me it seems like this is a good deal but not knowing anything about these and/or what to look for gives me that uneasy feeling ***
Sounds like you may have some work to do to that machine if you buy it. Granted Ando is resurrecting a machine that may have been considered a boat anchor by some (good on you Ando for spending the time fix it up properly) Whilst I'm not a Case expert, there are plenty of guys here who are and will be able to help with technical questions. I'd be more worried about the fact the machine has been rolled. Do you know the circumstances of the roll? There could be a lot of underlying problems from a roll over, depending on the speed, severity, ground type and what the machine was being used for when it was rolled. I'm not sure how strong the frame is on Case backhoes so it may be OK. We have seen bent arms/mounts, rams, outriggers, and frames/axles from rolled machines (not all backhoes). Also saw a bent main boom and dipper where a machine slipped into a trench whilst digging. I'm not saying that any of these problems exist in the machine you are looking at, just make sure you check it out carefully. If any of the machine functions seem like they are binding or won't extend/retract to their correct positions, may need further investigation. Karl
I would put the value of that machine at about $6500-7500 here in Ontario. Worth that for parts. Without all the damage about $13K. South of the border I believe prices are still down, not sure. The increase in the # of 4x4's out there is also putting pressure on all the 2 wheel drive C,D,E, and K models. The good part is you are getting one of Case's best designs. The bad part is that if you can't restore the cab back close to original then resale value is affected. Sooner or later you will want to sell it, so its always something to think about. It presents a good buying opportunity for someone who just doesn't have the money, and is going to give it a home for a long time. I didn't see the inner fenders rotted out like they usually are from salt, maybe you are far enough south. There is some aftermarket glass available, I just got a new windshield for a 580K for a little over $200. I'm guessing most of those pieces are $100-$200 each, but you probably can find some of then used. A & I supplies glass for some Case cabs. The rubber molding is very costly too. Case was pretty reasonable on glass prices last time I checked. The door is expensive, very much in demand, but I have heard that an aftermarket one is available, last I heard it was about $1300. If the rear window frame is missing, that's another expense, I can't remember how the back window goes in, maybe it has the curved glass($). I have seen some plexi-glass used in the side windows on older machines to keep cost down and it's easy to install. Check the loader frame for alignment(bent), it should be evenly spaced between the front counterweight. Check the boom cylinder tubes for being straight( a weak spot). These machines really didn't have any inherent problems. Best to work it if you can before you by it. Good luck, Phil
I had purchased 580 se a year ago with 9300 hrs on it .The machine starts great runs up and down the road and digs as well as any other backhoe i have used .I have had the B C AND D Version and i like the e the best . The spline shaft for the emergency brake will be a problem .Phil is right 12 to 13 k is what would be ball park for the E . My case se is just a hobby for me .I have replaced cylinder seals and pins and bushings .Watching Ando with a ten foot bar to remove the pistons from the rams was the best .( old school ) i call it .As well it looks like the origanol seat not a usual thing to see in an old machine . Take it for a spin and dig up a storm , this will help you in your desision
thx for all the input guys. i just brought her home for 6500. Spline for the ebrake looks decent but its missing that disk "deally"... The previous owner said that he would give me the door, not sure if its salvagable but it's bent up a bit.
Well i had an interesting afternoon to say the least... When i was haggling with the dealer on a price, he was pretty firm on 6800. I asked him if he had any buckets around that would fit this guy. He came back with a 18" wain roy for around $500. Not knowing what these go for i asked if he wanted to do 7k with the 18" included and he shot me down (which im glad he did). Well i told him i was going to pass at 6800 and he gave in at 6500 before i left. Turns out it has what i believe to be a wain roy quick coupler on the hoe? Is this a good thing? Called the gentleman up that previously owned it to grab the door and he mentioned that he had a 18" wain roy bucket that he'd let go for $75 bux. He also had a New Harvest King 17.5x24 10 ply (Titan Tire i believe) that he had bought for it that he'd let go for 350. So i left one happy camper with a new tire, 18" bucket and the door with window frame that was in excellent shape for $425. Other than a broken hinge on the door frame, it seemed in great shape. Perhaps you guys can take a look through some pics and see if you can spot anything that would need addressing right away. I took a pic of the boom where they welded a new piece on top where the dipper connects. Engine is dominated with sludge with what i hope is only a valve cover gasket leak. The right front kingpin has a lot of slop in it and im sure needs some welding and bore job done to her. Dealer quoted me about 250 for the welding/boring and 175 for the kingpin/bearing kit. I think most if not all the gagues are not working. They look to be in good shape so when i get some time ill break out the multi-meter and start tracing the circuits. Where would be a good place to start looking for diagrams/specs? Is there an online option? service manual on a cd or downloadable? Again thx in advance!
hmm dont see the edit tab anymore while logged and i tried the logout/login and nogo. I forgot to add a link to the pics i took earlier. I havn't had a chance to clean it yet so i parked it at my neighbors house! http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v478/tharepairguy/Case%20580%20Super%20E/
I have a 24" with teeth and a 36" without teeth, Wain Roy buckets. It took quite a bit of time and messing around to line up the pin when installing the buckets. I since welded two angle irons onto each bucket, one on each side of the Wain Roy coupler. I also welded a shim on the back of each bucket. Now the bucket is guided right into place when I pick it up and the pin slides right in. Takes 2 or 3 minutes to dump one and install the other. I have no experience with other quick coupler buckets but I like mine now I have done the mods.
Sounds like you did alright. A good blast with a 3000psi, hot water machine will help. I spent almost a day, washing my machine when I got it. If you get hold of a hot water blaster, you won't need degreaser.
I think you did well, and you got the door too which is the best part. Even if the door is sprung, placing a 2x4 at the top of the door and pushing on the bottom will bring them back. I just replaced the valve cover gaskets on a K, I have here. Get the engine warm before you pressure wash it. I've been trying oven cleaner lately which seem to help. Don't forget to get the 4 o-rings, with the cover gaskets. Phil