Hi All, Sorry, I am a newbie here and not able to find a way to post a new thread/post so I would like to ask anyone who can help me to create a new post regarding my inquiry below. Advice on buying Second Hand Volvo Excavator. I am going to view/survey few Excavators next week for Coal Mining purpose. I am going to start a small scale coal mining contractor so i am looking for a cheap second hand excavators. I got a good price Volvo Excavator EC290B year 2005 with HM around 9750 (the other unit mentioned only 2500h which I don't believe because it is 7 years old machine and only running that kind of low HM), that's why I am going to view the Excavator. Is there anyone with Volvo Excavator experience especially series EC290B? And what should I take note when I try/view the unit as this is a second hand unit so I must make sure the price match the condition. Anything really important for me to take note? Maybe someone can enlighten me as well regarding the pro's and con's of Volvo Excavator. As this is my first time considering to purchase Volvo Excavator, previously owned Daewoo and Hitachi Excavator which served me well for many years. I heard one of the con's is the relatively high spare part price. I am from Indonesia with tropical weather (relatively hot and humid). Thank you for the time spent to read my post.
Heavymachinery, I've moved your post here, to its own thread, where hopefully someone can help you out. Once you've made three posts, you'll be promoted to "full member" status, and be able to start threads of your own. The "Probationary Member" status is designed to prevent spammers from posting threads. We figure anyone who goes to the trouble of posting three times is here for the right reasons, not because they're a spammer. And welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums!
Take a 12mm allan key with you and check the colour/level/smell of the oil on the final drive planetaries on the tracks. These are around 25-30k +++ each. I had to rebuild one on our EC240B a while back.. (3rd owner bad maintenance from previous owners i would imagine.) Check slew gearbox oil aswell....all fluids infact. On any excavator you should check all compartments for signs of leaks, weeping hoses/connections. Lay the arms down and have a good look for damage on all the hydraulic cylinder rods. Evidence that it has been greased recently is also a positive.
I have a 240b. Take a tape measure and check the length of the arm. There are 3 options. You may benefit from the shorter arm, with the extra digging force. Also, there are a couple counterweight choices. Good luck figuring out which one is mounted though. Mine is showing signs of excessive play in the bucket pin, so check that. Also, other members have pointed out the volvos have overheat problems in the hotter climates. Mine has been fine, but i'm in Canada. Parts will be around 50% more than comparable CAT(around here anyway). Every time i buy a part for mine, i check the price on a Similar CAT machine (just to reinforce the myth) Otherwise, volvo builds a good unit, well built and feature laden. Runs quiet, smooth, and easy on fuel. The motors are good and strong and reliable. Hydraulics and controls work great. Good luck. ken
Couldn't agree more Ken. Our old EC240B was a brilliant machine...even at 8000 hours...her last job was a 40,000ton basement bulkout during summer here in Australia. Never had an issue with overheating.
That being the CASE (no pun intended), why would anyone want to buy a VOLVO??? What he said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUjh9Id6Id8&feature=related
Parts aren't that common of a thing to buy unless you have really bad luck. Filters are easy to get hold of cheap. Having had 3 volvo machines...i've never had an issue with parts/price and im down under where is should be the worst. Our volvo dealerships down here are great...So are CAT...I find Bobcat parts over priced and harder to get hold of than volvo.
a hitachi or deere 280 would be a better buy around the 2005 age the reason i say this is reliability and you can get the part you need in a local sweet shop im not a big volvo or cat fan