Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

advice on cleating track for mud and ice

rebarman ยท 2008-02-10 23:43

thinking of cleating my fl5,shoes are worn and i have new 3/4 inch grouser in the shop is this a good idea or not? some have said it will make the machine hard to turn. i will be using fl5 just in the bush and was going to make cleats 3inch long and use 2 on one shoe then 1 in the middle on the next, need your input ,thanks

Replies3
  1. #1Burnout2008-02-11 00:02

    The company I work for cleted their old 963 because the previous operator said they HAD to be on there. I ran it and found it just beat up the machine and the operator when you were moving around. I always pad myself up on a pile of decent dirt and I work that way. But if your using it in the bush I'm guessin your not screamin around a big jobsite like I am so your cleteing idea will probably work. What your describing is the same as what they do to all of their tracked machines in the winter.

  2. #2rebarman2008-02-11 00:12

    thank you for your input, i had read your post yesterday where you said you were breaking them off, lol did they weld them onto the leading edge or the middle?

  3. #3Burnout2008-02-11 21:18

    They staggered them on the grousers, 2 about 4" in from the outside then 1 in the middle. But they were just butt welded onto the tops of the grousers. I managed to break most of them off before I went on vacation at xmas and the day I came back some new guy blew the head gasket on my fancy grey market 963. Now they have a new 953 and I spent 15 minutes explaining to the owner why I would go back to breaking them off the new one if they even attempt to weld them on.