Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Advice on semi trucks…

iceberg210 ยท 2010-08-20 12:34

Howdy, I've been looking for some time for a used truck to put under our self log loader for our small sawmill. The log loader weighs around four thousand pounds and I'd be using a rule in the state of WA where I don't need a CDL or any of the hassle that goes with it if I'm hauling wood products under 40 k lbs. I'm looking for something tandem axle, and I've been looking at trucks here and there but figured I'd ask some of the experts if they had any advice. The biggest thing I'm wondering is about durability. I don't need something that has a ton of power obviously as my GVW will never be above 40k, but I need something durable. Log loading is tough on trucks, and going somewhat offroad is another part of the job that the truck will need to be able to handle. Also since this is a small operation sometimes the truck will sit for a month or more so I'm wondering is there any particular type of engine etc that sits well? I know that for example the Cummins V8's had problems with pitting on the sleeves and thus probably aren't a good canidate. A couple trucks that I'm currently looking at are a couple old Ford 8000's and an International F1954. Don't know if any of you folks have any advice on these but if you do that'd be great. Finally while I've bought heavy equipment and know what to look for there semi trucks are a new beast to me in terms of the buying game (the truck we're replacing is an old Dodge semi that my grandfather bought even before I was born) so I was wondering if there is any advice you folks could give me in terms of things to look for on a truck. Any particular things to watch out for? Anything special I need to be looking for? Thanks for all the help, really do appreciate it...

Replies17
  1. #1qball2010-08-20 13:20

    try to find a mack r-model with a 5 speed and camelback suspension. damn near indestructible.

  2. #2stumpjumper832010-08-20 14:07

    6x6 5 ton army truck. optional winch. right size. multi fuel engine, aka if it burns it can run on it. downsides, slow, very basic

  3. #3watglen2010-08-20 20:02

    If your old truck is a dodge older than you, then the 5 ton army truck wont be slow or basic. It'll be a huge step up! Good luck

  4. #4Dumpsterdavid2010-08-20 22:27

    I would second that!

  5. #5Hokiesmokes2010-08-20 22:52

    Don't know about the IH, but I'm not afraid of any of the Fords, just gotta find one that isn't all rusted away. Granted, I've never had to pay the maintenance bills or do serious repairs on them, but we have almost all old Fords and they won't win any races but they seem to run forever. Everything else falls off the trucks before they quit running. The old Ford inline diesel is OK too, but weak. Watch the general pre trip stuff and don't pick up anything that will take big work to get road worthy...steering free play, clutch adjustment, air leaks, fuel/oil leaks, smoke, brakes, and tires. Drive it and shift up and down and all that, the trans should be smooth, if it binds going into gear when it's synched up you probably will be rebuilding.

  6. #6iceberg2102010-08-21 11:55

    Thanks for all the advice everyone, really do appreciate it. The Ford's have Cat 3208 engines in them, have you guys had pretty good luck with these engines or what is thier reputation? And you're right after that old Dodge semi with a worn out 440, and a 5 and a 3 tranny anything is an improvement...

  7. #7iceberg2102010-08-21 15:53

    After searching on this forum an others I've found that it seems that the commonly held belief is the 3208 is a pretty unremarkable, (to say it kindly) engine at best. Does anyone have any experience with the 3406? That even after searches hasn't come up with much...

  8. #8watglen2010-08-21 15:57

    i've always thought the dt466 was a good little engine. Cheap, reliable, durable. Maybe not the most powerful around, but has stood the test of time

  9. #9Dualie2010-08-21 18:04

    3406 is a great engine, nothing like the 3208

  10. #10iceberg2102010-08-23 11:38

    Going to look at a bunch of trucks this week, and learning more about them leaves me with more questions... Just your luck right? First, how's the M11 Cummins? There's a couple Ford's I'll be looking at that have that engine. I know more about the old old cummins 230 or what not, but this is different, and I don't know much about it. Also how are the Mack E6 engines? I'd assume they're really durable as they are Mack, and especially older Macks seem to be darn near indestructable. Finally any particular transmissions that are more durable than others? Should I be looking for more speeds or less? Eaton Fuller etc? Or as long as they are in good shape and I take care of the transmissions will they not be the weak link. Thanks again for all the help, really do appreciate it...

  11. #11Cat Wrench2010-08-23 12:23

    Stay away from the M11. Macks are very good but a pain to work on when they need it, lots of special tools and not near as many mechanics well versed with them. The 3406 Cat is a good choice. The 60 series Detroit would be a good choice. There are several others as well. You seem to be all over the place with your search. There is no comparison between a 3208 and a 3406, apples and oranges so to speak. I would recommend you by as much horsepower as you can afford. In general a bigger horsepower engine under less of a load will last longer and burn less fuel than a smaller engine that is pushing against its limits the whole time you are driving it. Anything less than 350-400 horsepower in the hills and you will hate life. Buy lots of horsepower.

  12. #12Hendrik2010-08-24 20:17

    The Cummins 903 is great motor but I would be looking for a Mack with air start, unless you want to spend up big on batteries. We had a Inter with a 903, which we only used harvest time and it would spend months sitting in the shed, no problem with the motor but dramas with everything else on that old rattler. A lot Macks are used in off road wood operations. Buying a truck is like buying anything else, if you don't know what you are looking at, find someone who does. Also what sort of money are you looking to spend?

  13. #13Greg2010-08-24 20:24

    I go along with qball up above here but think that more gears would be better for you. Fuller 10 speed with deep reduction, Mack 12, 13 or 18 better yet.

  14. #14Hendrik2010-08-24 20:37

    Yeah I suppose in hilly country you do want a few more gears to choose from unless you got a big motor up front and nerves of steel for going down the mountain.

  15. #15Dirtman 612010-08-27 21:02

    Mack "R" models were before the E-series engines. Not so bad to work on, really, you just have to figure your way around 'em. I drove a couple "R" dumps and loved them. Noisy cabs and all, but tough as nails. The 5-speed is a good gear box but a Pain to shift. Roadranger 13-speed works good behind that engine. It'll move a mountain! Good luck with your search. Smart of you to look for some input before you buy your truck.

  16. #16cat9802010-08-27 22:20

    buy a mack dm800 with a two stick 12speed with a 300 horse mack and that mack suspension it will pull anything and going threw the hills no problem and you got the gears to play with.

  17. #17iceberg2102010-08-30 15:46

    Thanks for all the advice so far everyone! The search continues, and as someone did mention I am a bit all over the place but that's just cause I'm seeing what's available. Really at this point the budget can't really be much over three thousand unless something real special came up, so I'm a bit limited at what I'm looking at. I went to an auction on friday and saw some trucks go for a bit more than I wanted to pay for them, especially given that the auction was in Boise, and the sawmill is in Seattle. Anyway thanks for all the help and here in the next week or two when I get back to Seattle to keep hunting I'll keep you all updated on how it goes...