Haven't touched or looked at a welder in 30 years since I use to stick weld for my own personal use. I need advice and help on whats being used today to weld heavy machinery that will be 100% sufficient on being a strong weld to serve its purpose. With that said not to confuse the type of repair and method of how the repair is done, like on stress cracks, etc... I just don't know anything about all the types of wire feed welders being sold today, like if they are just as good as stick welding even when saying they are rated to weld the same thickness as stick use to call out. I'm guessing perhaps I'll need the proper type of wire to use in the welder that will make the weld strong. I just don't want to do something stupid and assume what I buy and weld will work, anybody can weld, its making sure you use the right stick or wire and making sure with stick you have the correct penetration, and this is where I get confused, because wire welding looks like there is no control over penetration, it looks to me you just drag the welding handle around and I'm suppose to trust the weld? I can sure use an earful from someone who's been on this, thanks, Joe Below is a link on a welder I seen in Harbor Freight, what do you think? http://www.harborfreight.com/230-vo...ce=direct&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4710a
welder I would stick with name brand welder, Miller or Lincoln-I believe both make a machine that will stick weld (CC/constant current) and wire weld(CV/constant voltage). I've used a lot of Esab Dual Shield wire for heavy equipment fabrication and repair-it contains flux inside and is also used with a CO2 shield, runs as good overhead and vertical as it does flat. With the CC mode you can run a gouge and also a TIG torch. Just my $.02 Tom
I recently replaced our stick welder with a new Esab mig tig and stick all in one. I have found that 0.45 flux core mig wire with argo sheild gp gas has worked the best for my repairs. I just used it to mount air ride axles on my Arne's jeep and retrofit my 8 wheel booster from a pin mount to a fish mouth mount and it worked flawlessly bolth up hand and over head, not to mention she will run a big gouger and you can also add the tig and the aluminum spool gun with her, all wile being without 3 phase power. Check it out as esab's website and let us know what you what you decide