Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Advice/recommendations on skid loader

engrb · 2025-05-25 20:56

Hey guys. New member, I've been reading a lot of posts and decided to join. Just sold a 2005 CAT 247B. I am looking for something to replace it with. Something a newer and with more power. I will say the size was nice and the controls were pretty good. I did spend too much time working on it which got frustrating. Cat and bobcat stores are 15 mins from me. Deere is 40 mins from me. Gehl and Takeuchi are and hour from me. looking for the following EROPS. ISO controls. Hydraulic quick attach. High flow (maybe?). Will run bucket, grapple and brush cutter often. Would like to be able to run an auger and trencher. Not to hard to work on (if possible). Not super expensive parts (if possible). Be able to start in the dead of winter. Per some research looks like maybe the Cat 259D or the Takeuchi TL10 might fit. Budget is max $40k. Appreciate the feedback

Replies18
  1. #1Tyler d4c2025-05-25 21:36

    259d easier to repair then tl10s imo more used/aftermarket parts to be had. Smoother ride and more comfortable cab. Just my my thoughts

  2. #2fortworth-cowboy2025-05-25 21:46

    Look for a Bobcat T740, no DEF System but still strong machine

  3. #3John Strange2025-05-27 09:52

    I went as big as I could with an older one, I have a 2014 Cat 299d which no DEF, still has the EGR but it's been pretty simple to work on for the most part. I went CAT because there is always a dealer nearby and I'm sorry but the parts are expensive but so is something that can't run because you can't find a part. I would also highly suggest a cab with AC, it keeps the dust off of you and the bugs/water/etc. Having AC/heat also allows you to work longer hours.

  4. #4engrb2025-06-11 12:07

    Hey guys, thank you for the feedback. Some updates on my search. I have been going to the local dealers and testing the equipment and seeing things more up close. I think I have narrowed down 3 different options: Kubota SVL75-2 CAT 259D Bobcat T76 All 3 are close to me. My only real dealer experience is with CAT and they have always been helpful in getting me parts. Both Kubota and Bobcat claim they can get parts and perform service no problem. I think these models are pretty comparable but maybe not exactly. All units I am looking at are used 2020 and new models and 1,500 hours or less. I see there are some similar CAT and bobcat models that also might work/are similar. For example CAT 289D is the same engine as the 259D and that could also be an option. I really liked the Kubota sliding door. Also, while I was at it, I checked out the new CAT 255 line and dang they are nice. I also checked out the new Kubota SVL75-3 and they are also very nice. Both way too much cost for me at this time. But these newer units are much better laid out with the engine compartments and maintenance access. Appreciated the feedback.

  5. #5fortworth-cowboy2025-06-11 17:36

    Just my opinion, and I worked on that stuff for the last 10 years, stay away from that T76 specially a 2020 Bobcat. At that Point, this Series was around 6-9 Month old and had Problems left and right. For the most part there are only bandages on the machine to mask issues.

  6. #6Simon C2025-06-11 19:27

    Best to at least listen to what Fortworth-cowboy said about the T76. He don't get paid by Bobcat. Hand on experience is worth listening to. Simon C

  7. #7engrb2025-06-19 11:38

    Thanks for the feedback. After checking out some more units and talking with the different dealers. I am going to go with a CAT unit. These guys have the best service and are working with me with what I want and my budget. I am looking at 2 different units A 2017 299D2 with 1,900 hours and a 2022 289D3 with 1,900 hours. I am leaning towards the 289 since it is newer. But I am curious on what you guys think. Thanks

  8. #8Simon C2025-06-19 19:58

    Just so you know, changing out the expensive emissions filter is happening between 2500-3000 hours from info posted on this site. It is a big dollars job, just so you are aware. Maybe some will chime in now that you have narrowed it down to 2 machines. Remember the salesman you are meeting is in love with your wallet as he describes his wonderful machines. Things can change quickly once you own it. Simon C

  9. #9Legdoc2025-06-19 21:39

    I have always had good luck with Kubota. My only complaint with the SVL-90 is the air conditioner. It is marginal for South Texas and has a **** poor filtration system that others complain about on this forum. I don't know if Kubota improved it as the evaporator gets clogged easily. My machine is also pre emissions...

  10. #10Legdoc2025-06-19 21:45

    I thought Kubota parts were expensive until I brought home a Cat 120H maintainer. One thing I will say is Cat can get you parts quick for relatively common items.

  11. #11HarleyHappy2025-06-20 09:04

    Oh yeah, Cat can get you parts quickly, just as quickly, you can watch your bank account get lower and lower aaannnddd lower. Lol

  12. #12southernman132025-06-21 09:50

    1900 hrs is a lot on ctl. I’d stay away from that. No way I’d buy a used anything that isn’t under warranty that has DEF. It’ll getcha one day. We have a Kubota SVL 97-2. Second one. Current one has 1100 hrs. Had zero issue so far hehe. Like said the AC system isn’t the best. It’s cold but doesn’t blow hard. And the ac filters suck. It will definitely have to be cleaned every year but for a good dealer it’s not that bad of a job. A friend has a 75-2 Kubota. I’ve ran it it’s a nice little machine and only has dpf and his ac cranks hehe. Good luck

  13. #13CM19952025-06-21 12:17

    289 all day long and twice on Sunday. IMO stay away from the 299. I have a 2016 and 2019 279D's that have been great CTL's. I divorced Bobcat in 2016 when I bought the Cat and I have never looked back. IIRC the '16 has close to 3K hrs on it and the '19 has close to 2K hrs. Planning on replacing the '16 this year with a 265. The '16 had a drive motor replaced early on that was 100% warranty. Only items we've replaced other than hoses on both machines have been the alternators. Cat wants a fortune for a replacement but there are aftermarket options that we went with. The A/C system on the D models is fantastic FWIW.

  14. #14fortworth-cowboy2025-06-22 01:19

    Well for that matter, I would stay away from Kubota with any DEF System. They came waaaaay to late in the game and have now Problems with DEF Systems left and right. With the A/C System on these machines, does not matter what manufacture, consider that: A: You sitting in a Metal Box with Windows B: An A/C System can only produce 25-30 F difference to the outside temp. C: These cabs are not perfectly sealed D:Maintenace from A/C Filter and putting stuff in front of the recirculation filter So the A/C will NEVER cool down to 60 or 70 F when its 100F out there!

  15. #15engrb2025-07-13 17:30

    Update. Thanks for the feedback ended up getting a 2022 CAT 259D3. Its a used machine so hopefully no issues.

  16. #16CM19952025-07-13 17:55

    Congrats on the purchase! How many hours? Any pics? I have 2 - 279D's that have been great machines. This one will probably serve you well.

  17. #17southernman132025-07-29 02:54

    We’re on our second 97. Have only had one see issue on first one and it was under warranty. I do t like def on anything and I really don’t thins one is better than the other. I wouldn’t consider one from any manufacturer If it didn’t have warranty. Having said all that I think a lot of the def issues come from not running them full throttle and using contaminated def. When our warranty is up I’ll decide whether to delete or upgrade. I’d rather delete if I found someone who knows what they’re doing. Our ac is ife cold just the high fan isn’t very high hehe

  18. #18southernman132025-07-29 02:56

    Congrats on your purchase. Hope it serves u well. I have a litlle cat 216b open station w 1600ish hrs. Love that little machine!!