Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

advice to carry a tripod chain hoist removable

trombeur ยท 2015-10-25 12:28

hello, if I may, I would look for some advice, I would handcraft a steel tripod hoist type, to be installed in the ground in the country, to make a little work, to avoid bringing heavy machinery we would like to mount a tripod hoist I've seen use many times by the fire, as I realize that I use as material to join him at the top? measurements are 12 feet under hook, 1000 kg, thanks to those who will want to help me

Replies16
  1. #1IronworkerFXR2015-11-01 22:42

    I remember my grandfather had one made from 12''x12'' lumber, one leg had a hand crank winch on it, they used it to build stone walls. back in the day

  2. #2trombeur2015-11-02 03:20

    thank you for your testimony and your suggestions to us is used to disassemble and repair an old well we will have to replace the pump and tubing, the place is inaccessible, to get the mechanical means we must first build a road, however with this simple device you assemble we carry out the work and so, thanks again for your suggestions and your precious time http://vestilmfg.com/products/mhequip/tripod_hoist_stands.htm

  3. #3Delmer2015-11-02 08:48

    You could roughly copy that top bracket out of 1/4" steel and weld it up easily. 1,000 kg isn't much for weight. Bolts through the pipe and a chain to hold it all together works too.

  4. #4trombeur2015-11-02 09:51

    thanks for the great suggestion

  5. #5Delmer2015-11-02 18:24

    I wouldn't even guess what you have for pipe in an inaccessible well. Around here well pipe is 21' (almost 7 meters), so you'd need a taller tripod, or one off center so you can lift the pipe by the middle high enough to get to the next joint/coupler. I'm assuming it's not a shallow well with flexible plastic pipe that you could pull by hand?

  6. #6kshansen2015-11-02 19:24

    Just thinking that is the top of the tripod is positioned a bit off to one side of the pipe being pulled but keeping the pipe well within the triangle formed by the legs this should work. When we needed to pull a well at work that was, I believe 1 1/2 pipe we were lucky to have a hydraulic crane to do the lifting. To hold up the pipe while each section was disconnected we had a tool that was more or less a couple sections of 2 inch angle iron with bolts through them to clamp the pipe to hold it in place. Hope the poster can get some pictures of this project, interesting to see how jobs get done when all the advantages are not available. Main thing is to understand the dangers and work to minimize them.

  7. #7trombeur2015-11-03 04:17

    thanks for the right suggestions will use them to find the right solution my friend had proposed to use a gin pole crane hoist what you think?

  8. #8DDoug2015-11-03 08:06

    Why not make the top center piece from a piece of 8"-12" well casing about 10"-12" long. Weld the ears on there (spaced 120 degrees apart) for the legs. Weld on a loop to one leg (up near the top) for an aux. chain to grab and hold the pump/pipe so the hoist can slacken, and go back down to the ground for another bite. Actually, I like making a plate burnout looking like a "lollipop" for the chain to go thru (like on the tailgate of a dump truck) easy to secure and change length. The parts your bringing up can go right up thru the center.

  9. #9trombeur2015-11-04 05:22

    thanks for your valuable suggestions and your advice, I certainly treasure lighthouse, if maybe a few friends user attaches or even drawing pictures with the measures I would be really grateful, or a photo is worth a thousand words is more exhaustive thanks again to the next http://www.huchez.fr/images/articles/pdf_fr/notice_ctf_chevre_fr_150.pdf

  10. #10old-iron-habit2015-11-04 11:00

    Perhaps check out your local safety supply store and ask about renting a tripod manlift for positions over manholes normally for people working in them to be rescued. They have a hand winch built in and are weight rated quite high. If nothing else you will see how they are built. If you use a pipe pulling clamp to pull and another one on a chain to hold it you should easily be able to pull your pipe a few ft at a time. If you have a casing the time honored tradition is to hold the pipe with a pipe wrench laying on the casing.

  11. #11trombeur2015-11-04 14:21

    thanks for your valuable advice and suggestions'll put them definitely in practice http://www.gruabandiera.it/news.html

  12. #12Delmer2015-11-04 21:54

    Does that mean a truck mounted hoist? or are you sticking with portable? I'd use the tripod over a gin pole (one upright with cables or ropes). The tripod is inherently stable, a "hand" gin pole relies on the anchors in the ground way too much for me. But maybe this is in the middle of a forest??? The picture in your post #5 is perfect. The horizontal braces near ground level aren't needed if the posts stick into firm soil. I'd do that with 3-4 tobacco poles, no problem. Bet you don't have tobacco poles though? (4" diameter dried larch poles) If you use 8"-12" pipe for the center section of the tripod, then cut one side out of it, a slot about 4" wide. The pipe will still have plenty of strength and you'll be able to get a long piece of pipe out, and back into your tripod.

  13. #13trombeur2015-11-05 04:17

    I think I will use metal tube pipe for carpentry scaffolding think is weak, a friend of mine told me that firefighters use a cavallettto similar to some rescue operations, the upper bracket connecting to join the hair confuses me a bit, as you would do?

  14. #14Delmer2015-11-05 22:53

    I'd call those clevises. A chain hoist, or come along winch, or block and tackle will usually have a hook so a clevis isn't needed. Do you need to connect the three pipes at the top? One bolt through all three pipes will form the tripod. Drill the hole in the outer two pipes at an angle to allow them to spread. A short piece of chain with the bolt through each end link will hold the winch. There are lots of ways to do it, just find one that makes sense to you. Please ask again if didn't understand your question.

  15. #15FSERVICE2015-11-05 23:41

    Delmar the thing in the pic is actually made to pull well [pipe with!! I have pulled a lot of wells over the years with the crane on the service truck.. yes the best is pipe wrench to hold the pipe from falling down the well caseing

  16. #16trombeur2015-11-06 03:18

    thanks for the valuable advice, we do not use a mechanical means heavy as before we will achieve a service road therefore was suggested to use the tripod hoist crane, the area where work is abandoned for some time, so with three stakes a hoist chain and wrenches realize it all, thanks again for the right advice