Approval for 70 570 foot! Tall Wind Turbines' seem to be moving forward. I Googled it and clicked on images to look at the purdy pictures. Also because Miss Kalabash attended the public meeting on behalf of the Govna' (Gubment, work ) Btw by the way Nimby stands for Not in my back yard. I'm not against them and neither is she. Just don't think my yard is Big enough for one of um.
We have hundreds of them in my area I'm neither for or against. I hope that they help to reduce our reliance on coal and gas for our electrical needs, I really don't see that happening yet but my hope is that they are a step in that direction. On a totally selfish note I can only see the tip the blades on two if I look in the right place, they are not in my face and that's the way I like it I have spent my entire life ( 54 years ) looking out the same windows and don't want to look at heavy industry,now that is the tru definition of NIMBY. Having said that I would never try to stop someone else from trying to get one, some of the contracts are quite lucrative, I have heard of neighbours in the next township getting 25 to 35 K a year, that could make life a lot easier for a family. I have spent 11 years as a municipal councilor and have seen all the haters that decide they hate something and then go looking for info to support there prejudice. Our township had a wind farm proposal put forward but there was so much public opposition that we turned it down which didn't Sit real well with me because I had a backhanded threat that if the windmills went ahead it would be too bad if some of the council members barns burnt, giving in to threats isn't the way I normaly do business, but there was such a large opposition that we just couldn't ignore, we turned it down. Sorry for rambling a bit but it's a very complicated topic and like I said I've never been able to really pick a side, but have tried to remain open minded
On a crane note as a farm boy during the construction of the windmills is the only time I have ever seen big cranes. I quite often have stopped on the side of the road and watched while they make a pick. The sights all have guards so you can't go in and have a close look, they are afraid of the protesters vandalizing. It always amazes me how theses supposedly " open minded" liberal types are the nastiest closed minded people I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. As a temporary negative to the wind farms is there impact on the roads every road they travel regularly will have to be rebuilt, some of the wheel ruts on our secondary paved roads where 4 or 5 inches deep and some of the gravel roads in the spring where impassable with a car. But they gave gave enough to the townships to fix the roads.
Hello Neighbor Tradesman, we're the same age, middle age! My Grandparents lived in Ontario so I spent many summers on your side of the Mighty Niagara River. I don't know if the wind farm project will get approval but if they do 570 foot wind turbine would be the tallest structure on this half of the state. I never new how big this wind farms were until I looked online. In 1990 in the Rocky Mountains', and the third windiest spot a dozen were put up. They were built by Boeing, they didn't work properly, design problem, I believe they got taken down. Possibly replaced now. Doesn't seem that long ago that that that the Canadians drilled a tunnel for Hydro power, from the Niagara river 60 miles to Toronto. Saw it on TV it was big enough to drive a freight train thru...didn't appear to make the river water level go down tho. LOL Take care, Fixo
Wind Mills My only experience with wind mills is setting & working on the old Dempster units . They work good for pumping water . Pretty simple & trouble free . http://www.windmill-parts.com/id48.html
Wind power has been good for us. Almost all of our equipment is being utilized on 6 different projects for the last year and a half with 5 years of on going work to come.
The company I retired from has put up hundreds of windmills. It has slowed now the last couple of years to as the government incentives have pretty much dried up. It was very good for business, but on a personal note it's another arena that the politicians should be staying out of. There are hundreds of windmills out there that draw more energy than they produce. Look closely at them. If you watch for a few minutes you will notice that they are still turning slowly on a windless day. TOn many types they draw electricity to keep moving so the bearing don't flatten from the slight rocking motion. If they were in reliable wind country of the right velocity instead of where the political pull is they could be way more effective.