Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Advice with tire chains

jvay ยท 2014-02-16 16:59

I need any possible advice in regard to tire chains for my ole 74 Case 480B. It is a 2wd tractor unfortunately. I tried to drive it yesterday in the snow with no luck; when the rear tires would grip I had no traction on the front and couldn't steer. My rear tires are 14.9 -24 the front tires are 7.5 - 16. I won't run it on any pavement; it will be used on a muddy, snowy building lot, and gravel roads. My building lot is gently rolling, no real steep areas. What I'm wondering is what would be the best chain pattern for working in the mud? Would double rings work well? Duo grips? Should I plan on getting chains for the front tires also? Right now I have a huge paperweight sitting on my building lot. Will chains make a big improvement for getting around so I can at least move it around my lot? I don't know anything about tire chains, have never bought them or put them on anything so any help is very appreciated. Thank you all!

Replies11
  1. #1ANDREW C2014-02-16 17:42

    If it was my money Id use duo chains but ladder style still works pretty good. You just need them on the rears for traction if its 2wd. How much snow do you have. http://www.lacledechain.com/traction/tractor/duogripchains

  2. #2td25c2014-02-16 17:56

    We have both duo and double ring ladder . They both work good . I don't know ? The double ring might work better in mud and the duo might be better on snow & ice . We just use them on the rear tires on farm tractors . Front chains would help steering . Sometimes on ice I will chain up the passenger side wheel on the steering axil of the truck to help .

  3. #3jvay2014-02-16 19:28

    We got a little over a foot of snow last week. I don't plan on doing much work in it, though it would be nice to be able to plow the driveway onto the lot. I know once the snow melts it is going to be a total mudhole and I need to be able to start digging the basement mid March, I hope. The tractor is very light in the front so its hard to steer in the slightest of muddy conditions so I'm hoping maybe chains on the front will help with that. Thanks for your responses.

  4. #4ANDREW C2014-02-16 20:59

    Put counterweight on the front, it will be more helpful year round

  5. #5markshr1512014-02-16 21:07

    Are your tires filled front and back?

  6. #6jvay2014-02-16 21:23

    There is a counterweight on the front, under the radiator, though I don't know how much it weighs. The darn thing still still wants to bounce and "pop wheelies" going forward up any hills though. I have been putting one of the extra buckets in the FEL to help but still doesn't seem enough. I don't believe any of the tires are filled. Would this be helpful?

  7. #7ANDREW C2014-02-16 22:49

    Calcium in the tires especially the front will help that, you can add weight on most tractors or you can make weights yourself and bolt it on with longer bolts (if its a bolt on and not a hanger type)

  8. #8markshr1512014-02-17 09:59

    Liquid in tires is a must. You can use salt,window washer fluid or antifreeze. If you are tubeless I would stay away from salt. Tire shops do this but you can to just google it. BTW I live in Fl. And fill my own with just a hose and a adaptor.

  9. #9ranchermech2014-02-18 23:12

    I've got an old 480B and had the same problem in the snow. I had some old 10.00 20 single truck chains and tried them on the old girl one set was long enough and the other I lengthened a bit. What a difference unbelievable. Yes the cross links are a bit short but price was right.

  10. #10jvay2014-02-19 07:00

    Thats good to know. Looking forward to better traction in the mud too. I cleared a fully wooded building lot with mine and have had it stuck in mud a ridiculous amount of times; due to operator inexperience and poor traction. I'm hoping some chains will make it possible to work through the mud and snow. Thanks for everyone's help. This is a great forum.

  11. #11outbackrider2014-02-19 10:20

    I have a couple of older farm tractors that I use on my property to haul wood, snow plow and help with other chores. I bought double ring chains for the tractor I drive in the woods...since putting them on, I have never been stuck in either snow or mud...it is 2wd. But, the double ring gives a very bumpy ride. For the tractor I use to plow snow with, I went with the Duo Grip, much smoother ride, 2wd tractor, last weekend I was driving in my yard with 20" of snow and it just powers through it...since putting on chains, I have never been stuck in snow or on ice with this tractor. Chains make a huge difference. I plow a long paved driveway...I try very hard not to spin the tires as the chains will eat the pavement. I have a JD 2wd backhoe that I just bought Duo Grip chains for from Tire chains .com I have not had a chance to mount them yet. I expect a pretty smooth ride. Like you, I plowed last year with the TLB and I couldn't grip anything...sliding all over the place. I expect the TLB will be a complete bull once I get the chains on. You could buy ladder chains, but for the little bit of extra money...I went for the Duo Grip, I believe they will work better for my situation. Definitely purchase some chains.