Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

advise on small amount of metal in reverser

Richard Hathaway ยท 2024-09-14 13:09

model JD 410D modern background: I have owned this hoe for about 10 years or so, it has at times been used heavily and carried overloaded buckets of wet clay and mud. problem: using this hoe to drain and redig a pond on my place was almost done just cleaning up around this pond and while moving forward it seemed to have difficulty moving all the sudden it was like it would still move if I stepped on it more then would stop again and if I stepped a little harder on it it would move more then stop like the brake was on, reverse worked fine so I backed it up to my shop let it cool down came back to it several hours later and it moved forward fine, I did not run it but for a couple mins just to check it. I took drained the fluid and took the bottom plate off of the reverser pic below So a little bit of metal and a small amount of sludge, the fluid I drained was very clean, I ran a magnet around in it and it came back with a very small amount of particulate stuck to it it was such a small amount I could not even pinch it off of the magnet and it was very fine. the screen was clean as you can see below Also there a few (3 or 4) strands of was appeared to be copper strands I do not know what it is see below, can someone tell me where this may have come from? see it on my finger below is it part of that screen perhaps? I am worried about running it now, everytime something breaks on it it seems to cost me 10k lol. any advice from you guys would be valuable to me, thanks for reading this.

Replies4
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-09-14 20:20

    Cut the reverser oil filter apart, see what you find. That copperish material may be bushing that is peeling. If you can, try and unfold the larger piece , is it one continuous strip ? I would suggest checking the reverser forward and reverse clutch pressures. The park brake is released by reverser pressure so I would also check the park brake release pressure when in forward neutral and reverse.

  2. #2Richard Hathaway2024-09-15 09:15

    OK Thank you, the park brake has never worked very well, it will hold the hoe if it is not parked on much of a grade, but if it is on very much of a hill at all it will not hold it in place, never has since I have owned it, I have always had to use the buckets as the brake on this old hoe.

  3. #3Diesel Dave2024-09-15 11:52

    Have you ever tried to adjust the park brake ? The procedure is in the Operators manual.

  4. #4Richard Hathaway2024-09-15 15:49

    I never got an owners manual with it, I do have the service manual, I will look in there for that procedure, no I have not tried to adjust it, this machine is not in any commercial service I just use it at my farm so it has not been a big deal with the brake not working properly but it would be nice, I park it behind my shop on a flat surface.