AFE advertises these can be used for grinding stumps. Does anyone have any experience with this? The one I am looking at is a 36EX mounted on a Volvo 160. I may be getting a job where I'll need to turn recently logged land into sheep pasture. It is sloped with a lot of exposed ledge. My first thought was to pull stumps with a 160 and then haul away to a dump site or burn them. But if this mulcher will grind them to ground level it would eliminate a lot of time trucking or burning. The logging outfit skids the trees out whole so there is very little brush that could be used to get fires going. The terrain is rough enough that the reach of an excavator will be very useful in accessing many of the stumps.
https://simex-drumcutters.com/en-gb/tf/ This type of attachment would be more durable for your job than any fast spinning mulcher or grinder.
That looks really cool. Thanks. The reason this mulcher looks appealing to me is that it can be used for mulching as well when the need arises. The drum cutter wouldn't work for that. Though it might be useful for soft ledge. The main thing I'm wondering about is how the mulcher will handle hitting rocks. It will obviously be avoided as much as possible but it is inevitable that it will happen.
The most effective stump remover I've seen is the Rotor drill. It wouldn't fit your mulching needs and the aren't cheap but if you can charge it to the job I don't think you can get a better tool for the job.
Another reason for my suggestion was that if you need to cut some tracks and strike some rock you have a way of dealing with it, a multi task tool.
Yes! That is very cool, and it looks like very efficient and effective for it's designed use. I think it has a somewhat limited range of use, though. I need to get some pictures of what this job looks like. Some stumps have 3 or more leaders coming out of the same rootball, all at different heights. Some were growing off the side of ledge outcroppings. I like the multiple uses of the drum cutter that Tones mentioned. I'll have to see if I can get one locally.