Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

O71 tank undercarriage breakdown

Hallback · 2022-05-11 08:54

Is nothing new right? I mean they put a 45T yarder onto a 25T under & call it good. Well 70 years later that UC is pretty tired & tough to find parts for. Anyone have a source for bogie wheels, track clips & misc parts?

Replies20
  1. #1skyking12022-05-11 19:42

    sounds like you need a machinist

  2. #2John C.2022-05-11 21:59

    Is that yard of stuff west of Taylor Rents in Chehalis still there?

  3. #3Hallback2022-05-11 22:12

    Yes, Jim Ramsey's yard.

  4. #4excavator2022-05-12 13:18

    I don't know alot about the old tank chassis but I do know of a Madil bottom setting along the hi way towards Acme. And as far as I know there is still a Finning rock drill setting in a housing development in Bellingham. Probably 10-15 years ago I spent close to $10,000.00 on new track drive motors on it, they fired it up and parked in on a hill and it's never moved since. Years ago I dealt with a guy out of British Columbia who would buy anything with a tank undercarriage. I parted out a Washington yarder for him and saw his warehouse of parts. He was in the business of providing military vehicles for the movie industry. I'm not sure if he is still around or not, I'll try to find out.

  5. #5Hallback2022-05-12 18:21

    Thank you!!

  6. #6Truck Shop2022-05-12 19:00

    I don't know if it's exactly what your looking for--Steve has a fairly complete Green Machine.

  7. #7Truck Shop2022-05-12 19:47
  8. #8Hallback2022-05-12 20:41

    Has he decided what hes gonna do with it?

  9. #9Truck Shop2022-05-12 20:54

    He's selling off what he has that he thinks might bring a few dollars. I'm sure he would sell it, He has another Skagit up on the mountain where he keeps some things. He is the same age as me and just tired, he knows he won't really be in the woods everyday, those days are long gone. I will pm you his number.

  10. #10Hallback2022-05-12 22:57

    Boy do I know the feeling. Thank you!

  11. #11TorkelH2022-05-16 06:09

    Paint your 071 green and maybe it gets the impression of having a Terex u/c! At least may people with a tailhold perspective think so.

  12. #12crane operator2022-05-18 21:17

    Just curious. could you put the yarder on a more common undercarriage/ carbody? Something from a big old cat excavator or a crawler crane? Or would the costs/ manpower to switch it all over just not be worth it? If a yarder is a $400,000 rig, and a new one is 3 million or unobtainable, then a transfer is possible/ worth it? Its hard to do such things in the crane game because of liability issues and it wouldn't be a "factory" crane anymore, but I don't know what that translates to in the forestry game where so much of the equipment was specialty built in the first place. I could see where getting parts for a old tank undercarriage would be difficult today.

  13. #13excavator2022-05-18 22:33

    We have a local welding/repair shop who have done a few on 400 size lowers. Which gives me another idea that they might have a tank bottom sitting out back.

  14. #14Hallback2022-05-18 23:55

    Bluestar?

  15. #15Hallback2022-05-18 23:57

    It's about 150k to do a conversion to a closed loop hydraulic undercarriage. Not really a good investment as yarder values have tanked (no pun intended)

  16. #16excavator2022-05-19 11:38

    Yes.

  17. #17Chopper952022-05-21 20:45

    Wheeler had a couple tank bottoms available for parts a week ago or so. But I think you talk you Stu / Stuey almost daily though there Hallback & probably knew that

  18. #18Hallback2022-05-21 22:21

    Ya, Robbie their parts guy is in the hospital so I will try again Monday.

  19. #19TorkelH2022-05-23 08:11

    You could of course mount it on a Volvo A25 or A35 like I did with one of my Owren yarders. You would though probably loose the ability to move with tower up at the landing, on the positive you get a very movable machine at logging roads...

  20. #20AndrewM2022-06-09 07:08

    Rubber tire sure have the advantage when there are narrow, winding paved mountain roads. There are a couple guys with self-propelled Skagit GT3’s driving the roads from job to job, or even from the yard to the job, in Northern California/Southern Oregon.