In 1974 my Case 680CK T/L/B was purchased new by a fellow in West Chicago, Illinois. Dam it gets cold there in the winter. The Simms cab was an option for the tractor which he purchased with it. The rear window was another option he chose not to buy with it. One of my best friends bought it from him about 10 years later. I bought it from his widow after he died of cancer. One of the first things I did when I got it was locate a rear window and the track for it from a retired Case dealer in Canada. I have had it for quite a while with no heater in it. I'm too old to do snow removal without heat. I finished the heater installation yesterday. YAY !!!!! Not an easy job with the heater install. I had to move the accelerator pedal 4 inches to the right to make room for it. Although the motor has a factory installed block heater I put a 1000 watt tank style coolant heater today. Unbelievable how well it works.
Looks great. Ideally, you want the top hose from the heater to continue up to the engine block so any air bubbles make there way to the block and up, and so that the hot coolant circulated as quickly as possible to the engine. It can go into the top or bottom of the block or head, doesn't make any noticable difference. You want the heater lower than the hose and the hose lower than where the hose connects to the engine. But if it works, it works.
Next you’ll want ac
I agree with all of that, Delmer. The members had a lengthy discussion somewhere on HEF a couple of years ago about the correct hose routing for tank heaters. Kat has directions posted on their website. I had no choices for the hose configuration. JI Case designed the OEM cab heater to be connected up high next to the water pump and the other hose to the water manifold. I will say my hose routing looks like the tank heater shouldn't work. But it does. The heated coolant goes from the tank heater to the cab heater and then to the engine water manifold. The tank heater has a check valve (ball) in the lower inlet port to prevent back-flow. In essence it works like a pump. I was very careful after plugging (120 volt) the tank heater in, to open hose connections to allow any air out of the lines. The cab heater throws out a tremendous amount of heat.
Great job! You'll enjoy that this winter.