Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

555 fluids

Clawed Backster ยท 2019-10-19 07:59

As many of you know from my other thread about it, I recently bought a Ford 555 backhoe that had transmission problems. Since I managed to get the shuttle fixed, I can now begin addressing some of the lesser issues. When I reassembled the machine, I put ATF in the power steering system because that is what was in it when I got it. Looking at older threads, it appears that I should have used UTF. Is that right? Also, I am going to change the oil, but I don't know what weight to use. I have the service manual, but it is in a storage shed, and don't know if it tells what fluids to use anyhow. Rather than go dig it out, I thought I would be lazy and just ask on here.

Replies6
  1. #1Tinkerer2019-10-19 09:56

    Go find your manual. You will need it sooner or later. Besides you could get wrongful information from someone who doesn't have the exact manual for your machine.

  2. #2Clawed Backster2019-10-19 10:16

    You obviously don't realize how lazy I am. Lol Yeah, I am going to go get it.

  3. #3jimg9842019-10-19 10:17

    YES, POWER STEERING USES SAME FLUID AS AS TRANSMISSION AND REAR END

  4. #4Check Break2019-10-21 02:45

    MEETS or EXCEEDS Ford M2C134D. If it says something like "recommended", it's not 134D. The label has to say meets or exceeds. Use Valvoline 813 in your transmission after you've got 10 hours on the Travelers. You might get away with Travelers in the hydraulic system as it's a hydraulic oil, but run a high quality 134D equivalent oil in everything else. P/S pump, transmission and center housing.

  5. #5Clawed Backster2019-10-21 09:14

    OK, thanks for the recommendation. Looks like I can get that Valvoline 813 for $76 for a 5 gallon pail online with free shipping. Local auto parts place wants $108. OUCH

  6. #6Clawed Backster2019-10-21 09:47

    The oil in the rear end is murky looking, and the brakes make a horrible chattering/grinding noise just before coming to a stop. I am hoping that changing the oil to that Valvoline 813 will help, though I suspect that I am going to have to do a brake job on it eventually.