I am considering buying an aftermarket final drive for my Komatsu PC78 from an aftermarket company, Final Drive Parts. com. The salesman says that the unit is made in Asia and comes with a warranty, he also says that being that the unit is not OEM that it may run a different speed than the other track, so allot of people just replace both sides at the same time. If money were no object that might be the case but myself I am going to have a hard time getting the money for one side. They are allot cheaper than OEM but I would rather spend more and not have any more problems. Anyone have any experience with these or thoughts?
Well Devo mate i have never heard of that one about going at a differant speed , but hey did he give you the brand ? i think they must be chinese as normaly if they are Jap or Korean they will say it they always try and cover up china when they say asia and if i was you i would not be paying anymore then 1,500USD for it if its chinese. and hounestly i have never had a customer replace both final drives at the same time sounds like a bit of a sales pitch to me.
No he never said the brand, I did ask but he just said it was Asian made. I wonder if they are even worth 1500.oo. What would you recommend I do JGS?
Ok qwll then i would say it is chinese then. Well mate if it is a good chinese one it might be made joint venterue with a korean or jap mob, well for your size final drive it would cost me to buy it here in china around 800-1100USD for a good one. well mate how soon do you need it?
Sorry devo, I'm a bit negative about parts made in China, they tend to blow up and destroy a lot of the rest of your machine. I guess a final drive is okay can't do much other dammage out there by it's self. How much would it take to repair your final drive, they stand up real good even when running with dirt and rust in them instead of oil. I did one many years ago that lost the seal and filled with dirt. Cleaned up everything, had machine shop restor the seal seats and put it back together. The gears where good after running with dust and rust for lube. Rebuild yours. Later Bob
If you can define the PC78's current motor displacement, top speed in a high and low disp. and the flow from the motor in GPM to each motor, we can determine the gear ratio currently used in the PC78. Then, you can make sure the ratio matches the aftermarket.
Well I got it torn apart last night and it looks like one of the main bearings has bit the dust and it chewed up both of the housings pretty bad, I dont think I will try to rebuild this one. I am on the hunt for a replacement. This unit is unlike anything I have seen on the net, it dosent have a ring gear per say. Its ring gear is made of two orbital sprocket like things that run on pins which are driven by three planetary gears with off set shafts, weird.
well I would like to have one in a week so if possible, you can get this JGS?
I did try a after market drive in my ex and was not happy with it. It was slower and had less torque when using blade after market was not pulling its share of load. My manuals stated that for 100' excavator should not track to one side more than a few feet (don't have manual in front of me now ) but it was more than 15' off with both levers in full forward. And yes the dealer suggested replacing both units. Dealer took back aftermarket unit and I used a OEM part, about $700.00 more than after market but less than replacing both drives. Also in travel mode the after market was faster.
Final Drive Parts.com cannot supply this model for you. It has a unique bolt pattern that they are not able to match. Only FDC and an OEM dealer can supply a drive that will fit your machine. Ours has no speed difference. It is the same ratio and displacement as what you have on your machine now. We are the largest supplier of excavator final drives in North America and we are the ONLY authorized repair center for Teijin Seiki, which your machine has. I replied to your other post that we can help you with a new drive, sell you parts to repair yours or have you send yours in for a repair estimate (if repairable)
FYI Nearly every OEM recommends replacing both sides to ensure straight travel There will always be a difference in travel when replacing one. Usually it is less than 5% difference, which is barely noticeable. But there will be a difference.
Well FYI mate i see every single day of the week final drives getting fitted to all size machines and i have never seen one of the blokes sit there and go hey you better replace both . i would love to see you pitch that to a bloke with a 30 ton machine where it is 30K + for a final drive. but anyways each to there own i am sure you know what you are on about in a non condescending way
The non genuine final drive should be okay - you may notice a difference in travel speed it will be more noticeable in high speed if you have this function, in normal speed the difference won't be that noticeable, if you are using this machine for your own work and not hiring it you should be okay.
Not a sales pitch and I'm not condescending. I ran a Kobelco dealership for 10 years and they 100% recommend to replace both. I was just pointing out that it is a valid statement to replace both. My "FYI" is meant to be helpful, not deragatory.
Ok finaldrive sorry about any miss understanding. but i have never seen where iam based blokes trying to flog both units then again i think it purely comes down to cost. i guess in china the chinese are just too cheap to buy a 2nd unit and in Australia it is just toooo bloody expensive to even consider it, a mate of mine just replaced his PC160-7 drive cost him 21,500USD for it.
No worries. I will admit that a lot of our competitors try to sell a pair because they cannot come close to matching the original gear ratio and motor displacement. We only mention it if a customer asks "is this going to travel the same as my original" We tell them exactly the speed difference by cc/rev in low speed and high speed and then advise the only way to ensure straight travel 100% is to replace both. We can match over 600 different excavator final drives from stock. The original purpose of why to replace both sides has been lost. Now people will sell anything that will bolt to a machine and call it an aftermarket replacement. We don't do this. We do all of research up front so that we don't send anyone a nightmare. The worst right now are the drives for the mini's. People will throw anything into these machines and buy only on price.
Certainly! Here’s a strategic response that integrates your backlink: When considering aftermarket final drives, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons carefully. While aftermarket units can be significantly cheaper than OEM parts, they may come with some trade-offs, as you've mentioned. One key concern with aftermarket final drives is the potential difference in speed between tracks, which can affect the performance and handling of your Komatsu PC78. This is why some people opt to replace both sides at the same time, but I understand that budget constraints can make this challenging. If you're looking for a reliable and cost-effective solution, I recommend checking out final drive motors from Precision Final Drives. They offer high-quality final drives that are designed to meet or exceed OEM specifications, and they provide excellent warranty coverage. Precision Final Drives has a reputation for providing durable and reliable products that can help avoid the issues sometimes associated with cheaper aftermarket parts. Investing in a quality final drive can save you from potential headaches down the road and ensure your machine runs smoothly. It might be a bit more upfront, but the long-term reliability and performance are worth considering. Good luck with your decision, and I hope you find the best solution for your Komatsu PC78!
importyeti is a good site to use to see who is buying from where. Especially when companies are vague about country of origin. Oh it's from "Asia" ...