Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

After work, hobbies & life after the logs are loaded!

Hallback · 2018-01-29 22:14

At the suggestion of a member wiser than myself, here is a thread for us to post our after hours hobbies & pastimes. Here are a few of mine.

Replies214
  1. #1Hallback2018-01-29 22:15
  2. #2Hallback2018-01-29 22:19
  3. #3Jumbo2018-01-30 00:16

    My after work ride

  4. #4hosspuller2018-01-30 00:29

    Jumbo ... Are those lifting handles sticking out the front ? Looks pretty heavy as a wheelbarrow.

  5. #5Jumbo2018-01-30 00:32

    Yes they are, you pull them out the back and you can lift the car up just like a wheelbarrow. Until I put a turntable on the car, that is how I turned it.

  6. #6Hallback2018-01-30 05:44

    Now that is cool!!

  7. #7Hallback2018-01-30 05:47

    Roughing it at Copalis Beach on a clam dig weekend.

  8. #8Labparamour2018-01-30 20:47

    I’ve always been intrigued by speeders! Looks like a fun hobby. How hard is it to find places to play? Darryl

  9. #9Jumbo2018-01-30 22:16

    Not hard, if you want to travel, you can find places to ride all over the US.

  10. #10crane operator2018-01-30 22:17

    That looks like a wisconsin air cooled shroud powering that rail car?

  11. #11Jumbo2018-01-30 22:21

    No, 20 HP CCKB Onan

  12. #12farmerlund2018-01-31 00:08

    Those are some nice mean looking cars. Over the years I have been into a lot of different things. Used to race dirt oval cars. ride dirt bikes. still ride around on a KLR 650. Still ride snowmobiles in the mountains. mostly MT and ID. I will dig up some pictures. For the last 15 years I have been flying, Also some guns. A guy needs to be well rounded.. LOL

  13. #13Hallback2018-01-31 08:10

    I love flying! I started the process to getting licensed and just never finished. I wanted to go to helicopter pilot school in the early 2000s when I worked for Columbia Helicopters.

  14. #14Hank R2018-02-01 22:47

    Thanks Hallback and others, this is going to be a great topic to follow.

  15. #15Truck Shop2018-02-02 07:48

    Every year a group of track speeder owners come here to Walla Walla and run the rails. For me it's my pen and ink art work, it's quite no noise. Not to many artist do it anymore kind of a lost art people want photos. Truck Shop

  16. #16Hallback2018-02-02 08:00

    Truck, Those are phenomenal pieces! My father did a lot of drawing & art until his hands got too bad for it. My GF does quite a bit also and it's just amazing what you guys can do. Pure skill & talent.

  17. #17Hank R2018-02-02 08:27

    In 2011 Roy and myself came across a deal we could not turn down bought a T-33 Jet for $1.xx in pieces and wanted and did make it into a weather vane, it rotates as to the direction of the wind. In spring 2013 we finished the project.

  18. #18Hallback2018-02-02 11:13

    What an awesome idea!! Thank you all for showing us your hobbies other than jaegers, smashed thumbs & stranded skylines!!

  19. #19old-iron-habit2018-02-02 11:32

    Two of my brothers and three cousins all worked on the section gangs on the Soo Line many years ago. Any time one asked them where they were going they would respond, "hell on a hand car, want to help pump". I think they shot more ruffled grouse off the speeders in the fall than most of us did hunting hard.

  20. #20wornout wrench2018-02-02 13:20

    This is my hobby 2013 Catrike Expedition. When I blew my back out, i could not ride a regular bike anymore, so went with a "Bent" This thing is a riot, plus the "*** is that" factor is fun. Now, if the weather would just improve. Typical Westcoast right now, Wind, rain, slush, more wind, more rain. Lots of rain.

  21. #21Hank R2018-02-02 13:27

    Wornout Wrench I am interested in Electric bikes and you can get a electric assist in your bent bike. As my Mt. bike days are getting less each year.

  22. #22Hank R2018-02-02 13:32

    Lots of people asking why it took 2 years but now drawings just common sense and 90% of the time only 2 of us working.

  23. #23Hallback2018-02-02 15:04

    Here is another hobby I took up.

  24. #24wornout wrench2018-02-02 17:11

    It has an assist on it. An older Bionix. Bent's don't do hills as well as a diamond frame, you can't stand on the pedals. And with a bad back and 2 worn out knee's, the assist is a god send. (I'll leave the terribly out of shape part out) The assist that I have right now will be going away soon and a new one going on with a much larger battery on it. I want to increase my range. There is a huge ebike community out there. A few minuets with Mr. Google and you can get overloaded with information. But a few good places to start looking are here http://www.ebikes.ca/learn.html and here https://www.electricbike.com/ and here if you really want to get technical (these guys leave me in the dust pretty quick, some smart people on here) https://endless-sphere.com/ There are tons more.

  25. #25Hank R2018-02-02 18:02

    My problem is I have a full suspension Brodie Knack which is more bike than I really need. http://www.brodiebikes.com/2009/bikes/knack.php and do not want to spend a ton of money and if I get a new bike what do I do with the Brodie. I keep one now in Parksville at the daughters so 2 is enough the wife says. In this months Electric Bike they are testing a Terratrike, might be like yours.

  26. #26wornout wrench2018-02-02 19:50

    Nice bike. The suspension system is nice for us, ahem, older gentlemen that don't like the rough ride anymore. Honestly, a conversion would not cost that much and then you would be able to keep the brodie. Lots of kits out there. Which copy of Electric Bike are you referring too, once again, lots of them out there. Terratrike have been out there for awhile. Usually see good reviews for them. The reason that I bought the Catrike was because there was one for sale locally. Trikes are pretty rare in my part of the world but they are catching on. I didn't want the assist, but now that I have it, I would never go back. I am quite happy with the Cat, I wanted a suspended bike, I was worried that the jarring would hurt my back. It doesn't bother me, in fact I can sit on the bike for hours and hours.

  27. #27Hank R2018-02-02 19:53

    Feb 2018 page 50

  28. #28diamondtguy2018-02-02 20:22

    Most of you know about my Grizzly Truck.I also own some other toys.This is my 1936 Diamond T 212BD.My dad bought it in 1968 and I inherited the truck in 1988.Currently powered by a Ford 300 I6 but I have a Cummins 4BT and 5spd here for it..Restoration by me.

  29. #29Hallback2018-02-02 21:14

    Cool truck!! Now, about that 71 chevelle!!

  30. #30diamondtguy2018-02-02 21:24

    The Chevelle and the Monza Spyder were my brothers.That pic would be 1991.Only bowtie car worth mentioning that I owned was a 64 Nova factory V8 car...

  31. #31Hallback2018-02-03 09:35

    I have had a few 63-67 novas. I built one a few years for my GF. http://www.dragzine.com/news/twin-turbocharged-chevy-ii-ss-build-to-turn-a-wish-into-reality/

  32. #32kshansen2018-02-03 10:11

    Well I was planning on spending some of the cold days puttering with one of the old Yamaha XS650's I have. But seems like the County Highway Department has other ideas. Just since the first of the year my mail box has been hit by the wing plow eight times, twice in the last three days! The only good thing is about 36 years ago I decided instead of trying to dig another hole in the bead rock at the front of the property that I would use an old milk can as a base for a free standing mailbox. For some reason in the last two to three years the number of hits have skyrocketed! And I don't count the times it has been hit by a car during the summer or the times there is no actual contact with the plow only the "snow wave" coming off the wing plow. It's so bad now that I made a form from 3/4 plywood to use as a buck to beat the box back in shape and also keep a spare repaired box on the shelf for quick changes.

  33. #33kshansen2018-02-03 10:17
  34. #34Hallback2018-02-03 10:20

    It was just a catchall box. I was bored one day so I started building them. It's actually really easy.

  35. #35diamondtguy2018-02-03 11:40

    I built one a few years for my GF. http://www.dragzine.com/news/twin-turbocharged-chevy-ii-ss-build-to-turn-a-wish-into-reality/ [/QUOTE] Very nice and for a worthy cause.I bet it pulls hard. I am a life long Mustang guy.This is my 67.I have had this one for about 12 years and it was finished a couple of years ago.They made 26 Trans Am Mustangs and this is a fairly accurate replica of them.Engine is a full roller 289.Car is a riot to drive and rather loud with the side exhaust.

  36. #36kshansen2018-02-03 14:54

    Spoken like many real artists! I think some famous sculpture once said when asked how he could do such great work repied something to the effect: "It's really easy, just get a large block of marble and cut away everything that does not look like your subject!"

  37. #37Hallback2018-02-03 16:41

    That mustang is very cool!! I grew up next door to Jim VanCleve in Morton and they had one of every cool factory Ford muscle & racecar built. My favorite was either the Pantera, Boss 429 Mustang or the 63 1/2 427 Galaxy.

  38. #38Hallback2018-02-03 16:41

    I am FAR from an artist but really, it was pretty easy.

  39. #39Truck Shop2018-02-03 18:07

    Funny-I've owned three 66 Fairlanes-1 GTA with a custom built 428 built to 427 specs with 14 bolt heads. 1 GT 390 4sp. 1 GTA 390 daily driver. I built these cars while working automotive machine. Funny part is I use to frequent Renegade Race Way in Yakima and Seattle International Raceway mainly to see VanCleve running his 427 Fairlane. I loved watching that car launch and shut down a BBC or big Mopar. Truck Shop

  40. #40Truck Shop2018-02-03 18:13

    My X toasted my pics some years ago but my 428 Fairlane resembled this one here and it was red also. Truck Shop

  41. #41Hallback2018-02-03 18:38

    Jim Sr. Still holds numerous NHRA records. Hard to believe that he has been gone 10 years already.

  42. #42Hallback2018-02-03 18:40

    We had a 66 when I was a kid. Hi-po 289 with a 4 speed. It was turquoise with 68 GT wheels.

  43. #43Hallback2018-02-03 18:41

    Here is the GF's 64 Fairlane. 17k original miles.

  44. #44diamondtguy2018-02-03 19:29

    The Fairlanes look good.I had a 64 in the 90's that I put a 351W in.Sold it to my friend with a SCJ Mustang and lost track of it....I know the Van Cleve name well. This is my other Mustang.Its a 68 and I have owned it since I graduated in 1977.Just putting it back together now after a long time on my rotisserie.Car was my daily driver when I was younger. Has been powered by a 1965 427 since 1988,been a 4spd since 1979.I don't plan on doing this again so I purchased everything I could NOS and didn't spare the cost.

  45. #45Hallback2018-02-03 20:12

    Damn, That is a very nice build! The black & gold is my favorite color combo. My ex GF has a 67 fastback that was her first car. Jim Jr has a 68 GT 350 that he drove to school and it is black & gold also. I remember hearing it wind to the moon on launch & at shift. Come to find out after I was in my teens that they built a destroker that would wind over 10,000 RPM. I guess having Jim Sr as your dad had it's perks!

  46. #46diamondtguy2018-02-04 12:43

    Altho I haven't done it much lately I do enjoy getting on my dirt bike and getting into the Mountains.I find it to be a nice escape from everything.I haven't ridden much since my accident but I am not ready to sell them.Maybe this summer I will log some seat time.. I have a Suzuki DRZ 400 that has a plate on it.I sometimes commute on it or just go for a ride.Out in the country here you can ride for an hour with no traffic lights.The mountains are only 10 min away. I bought the KTM just before my accident (2013) it has a wopping 6hrs on it.No where near the power my Yamaha 4 stroke had but it sure is lighter. Mary quite often comes with on the Mountain rides.I built her a bike for the trails as she is not very big.I have some practice obsticals on the property for her to practice on and for blowing off steam from time to time. A nice break from the shop,work and yard work....

  47. #47Hallback2018-02-04 13:36

    I sure miss riding. I sold my KTM 525sx and KX 450f after my 5th knee surgery. I just ride a streetglide now.

  48. #48still learn'n2018-02-04 14:09

    A little different then what has been posted on here

  49. #49Hallback2018-02-04 14:13

    Man I can't wait until I can stay home & raise some cattle.

  50. #50diamondtguy2018-02-04 14:14

    I have been lucky and never really had any long term injurys from riding.I crashed my big Honda 600 20 years ago in the Chilcotin Valley.Broke my right collar bone and my right arm then had to ride 3 hrs to get out.Made it to the Gang Ranch and they rescued me .Was almost 2 days before I got home.. I built a Harley in the late 90's(just to see if I could) and enjoyed bombing around on it.Hwy riding scares the crap out of me so I avoid it.The Harley is long gone.Dirt biking can take its toll on you that's for sure but I am willing to give it another try. Most of my friends all ride Harleys now.Including all the guys I dirt biked with.

  51. #51Hallback2018-02-04 14:20

    I have broken my collarbone twice, my leg in three different places, both ankles, seven ribs and numerous knee and Ankle injuries due to Motocross and Enduro riding. It's all the other people on the road that make it dangerous. I still think street riding is more dangerous than dirt.

  52. #52diamondtguy2018-02-04 14:32

    I can relate.I have never broken a leg or had knee injurys but I have had a total of 22 broken bones (ribs included).I had 9 broken bones in my last truck accident and came home from the hospital in a body brace. I stayed away from Motocross racing.Things can go wrong very fast.I have always preferred the challenge of the terrain over the challenge of a faster rider. I agree with your last comment..

  53. #53old-iron-habit2018-02-04 19:56

    I still have my old 1990 XR 600 with the 628 kit in it in the shed. Every once in a while I get the urge to go play. My cam is worn and it starts hard now. Need to look for one. While racing Cross Country, Hare Scrambles, and Enduros on the west half of the U.S. (never a pro, decent B rider at best) for 12 years I also broke my share of bones. Funny thing is, the ones I broke feel good at 65. The ones that survived as originals are full of arthritis. Regrowth must be good for the bones too. I still ride on the street, have been since my first bike at 14.

  54. #54still learn'n2018-02-05 16:36

    Ya I don't stay home but my twin brother does so it works ok got to start somewhere

  55. #55farmerlund2018-02-06 03:33

    Ha. We could start a broken bones thread. Hip replacement twice. 29 years apart Broken right wrist twice. Right ankle broken and later fused. Broken pelvis. All motorcycle and snowmobiles. Still ride both. Remember “god hates a quitter “

  56. #56kshansen2018-02-06 15:56

    Dang, don't do that I won't be able to really have anything to post on that one! Closest I can come is a separated shoulder, no real broken parts just some damaged ligaments. Wait! Do teeth count as "bones", I did manage to bust off a front tooth just about a year ago! Considering I have been riding motorcycles since 1966 and worked in a quarry for 45 years I guess I've been pretty lucky! You know how they say about most accidents happening close to home? Well the separated shoulder and the broken tooth were done in my own driveway and both involved Yamaha XS650 motorcycles! The shoulder one was really caused by an Isuzu Trooper, but I was riding the Yamaha.

  57. #57farmerlund2018-02-08 19:13

    A few from West Yellowstone last Dec. A guy has to love the view.

  58. #58diamondtguy2018-02-08 21:48

    I have purposely stayed away from snow machines.One time out on one and I would be deep into research on them and then off to the dealer to buy one.I am afraid I would be bitten hard by the sport.. One other part time hobby I have.Dont play any where near as much as I used to but I still enjoy it when I do strap one on..

  59. #59kshansen2018-02-09 11:40

    Living in a major snow area and a couple hundred yards from on of the local snow mobile trails one might think I would have one. I had a chance probably 30 years ago to ride a friends, I believe it was an Arctic Cat, got less than a couple hundred yards out in his back field and got it stuck! That cured me of any thoughts of getting one of them!

  60. #60farmerlund2018-02-09 13:18

    Yep, it can be addicting. Although we get some snow here in ND, it usually is wind blown and hard as a rock. I have always loved going to the mountains. Besides the fun of riding, the scenery is always been a big draw for me. Plus the newer machines (last 10 years) are great. Run and ride like a dream.

  61. #61Hallback2018-02-09 21:02

    Here is another hobby of mine. Here is 7 week old Skagit.

  62. #62Truck Shop2018-02-09 22:11

    When I was younger my real hobby was 14-1 and 9 ball, no joke I was what was known as a road player back then. One of the reasons I quit driving was I liked my night life shooting pool. I use to play at the 211 Union Club in Seattle when it still existed years ago. Some of the best shooters come from Milwaukee Wis there were 1500 taverns in that town in 1981, it would take you 4 years to visit a new one each night and every bar had at least one table. I still have my favorite cue a McDermitt. That's Willie Hoppe instructing Paul Newman, Gleason was a shooter he made his own shots in the movie The Hustler. I never cared for other sports just pool and especially the game 14-1 which no one plays anymore. In the movie The Hustler that's the game their shooting. Mike

  63. #63Hallback2018-02-09 22:18

    That is a very talented sport!

  64. #64kshansen2018-02-10 08:14

    Now that is one vicious looking beast! No one's going to bother you with that protecting you!

  65. #65Hallback2018-02-10 08:23

    And he's just as big of a pain in the ass as my other Skagit!

  66. #66farmerlund2018-02-10 12:54

    They are all cute till he eats your pickup seat

  67. #67Hallback2018-02-10 13:35

    About 15 years ago I had one eat the shifter knob off of a brand new crewcab!

  68. #68treemuncher2018-02-12 07:59

    When I make the time to get away from the shop or a machine, I'm trying to ride across the country in the warmer months. Typical road trips run 5k-8k miles over a 2-3 week period and consist almost entirely of tent camping. ADV and Sport Touring bikes are my rides of choice.

  69. #69old-iron-habit2018-02-12 21:10

    I love sleeping in a tent. It's that damn hard ground that I have issues with. I can't pack a thick enough pad on my scooter for my old carcass to be comfortable.

  70. #70treemuncher2018-02-12 22:02

    "I love sleeping in a tent. It's that damn hard ground that I have issues with. I can't pack a thick enough pad on my scooter for my old carcass to be comfortable." The answer is Air Sleeping Pads. Until I tried my Big Agnes Dual Core air mattress, sleeping on the ground, no matter what kind of foam I used, SUCKED! My air mattress packs to about the size of 3/4 loaf of bread, keeps me insulated and off the cold ground (works well into the low 20's) and I sleep even better than I do at home in a regular bed. Other makes are out there. You never knew 2.5" of inflation could provide so much comfort. Hammock camping is pretty comfortable, too. Been doing a bit of that as well. Get the right gear and there is more comfort to be had than you might imagine. Except for my cooler, everything I need is packed within the boxes on the bikes.

  71. #71treemuncher2018-02-13 08:54

    I forgot to mention that I now always carry a cheap hammock with bug netting in my work truck these days. Takes up about as much room as a softball. Working lots of 12-16 hr days and starting to fall asleep at the joysticks? Clear out a space between 2 trees and set up a hammock. 20-60 minutes of siesta time can salvage the rest of the day when no amount of coffee can revive you.

  72. #72old-iron-habit2018-02-13 09:01

    I had a hammock I bought in a market in Mexico that I slept in for 4 months while we hiked from Mexico City to Panama in the early 70s. It is made for a family of 4 and was spacious and comfortable. I would like to find another like it. I am going to check out them air mattresses. Maybe they are better than the air mattresses of old.The wife picked up a camping trailer for her bike last summer, but it is two crowded for two so you know where I end up.

  73. #73Hallback2018-02-13 09:05

    I will have to look into that air mattress. I ride a streetglide and put about 25k a year on it.

  74. #74Jumbo2018-02-20 21:54

    To all you tenters or sleeping bag users; for me, roughing it is not having a mint on my pillow. Tents and sleeping bags are to be stared at and studied, they should all be in some museum of ancient history....

  75. #75old-iron-habit2018-02-20 22:10

    Now how can you smell the forest if you got mint breath? Or hear the mosquito buzzing with the TV on?

  76. #76Jumbo2018-02-20 22:42

    I also don't hear the mosquito buzzing when the hot water in the clean shower is running. Of course semi warm Vienna sausage and beans cannot compare to a nice New York steak with baked potato, grilled asparagus washed down with a double of "Never Sweat" from the Headframe Distillery in Butte. Topped of with a warm bread pudding. No, I think I'll let you keep the bugs and the Vienna sausage I don't want to encroach. I can smell the trees tomorrow with the window rolled down....

  77. #77JPV2018-02-21 01:18

    The older I get the more I enjoy nature from behind glass!

  78. #78treemuncher2018-02-21 09:55

    I sort of expected nothing but the John Wayne types here playing with heavy equipment but, to my amazement (old thinking), Pajama Boy (sucking on a Soy Latte) is also in the mix. Maybe AC, quiet diesels and slick trim finishes are changing our industry to a newer, more "civilized" and PC compliant type. I will continue with my archaic ways: grinds in my coffee, weapon on my person, bugs in my teeth and contently sleeping on the ground out in the elements. AC sure is nice but I never sleep better than when in my tent on a 3 week road trip across our great country. I would rather be living and working in the wild than stuck in a museum or close to a city. However, I'm thankful for all of the city people - keeps the wild areas a little less crowded. Camping next to a lake with a woman who rides her own after a long, bug spattered day = paradise found for me. Livin' my dream. May we all be so lucky as to find that which appeals to us the most, no matter the path.

  79. #79John C.2018-02-21 11:30

    Well treemuncher, it's not that we don't appreciate being in the outdoors for recreation. It's just that when you make your living wearing coveralls or rain gear and being in the wet, hot or cold for work at least five days a week, you eventually lose your appreciation for being tired, cold, hot, sore and hungry on the weekend or for vacation times.

  80. #80Jumbo2018-02-21 12:07

    I hate to burst your John Wayne bubble but John Wayne was a big wussy. When they were filming the movie North to Alaska, Hap Johnson was his stand-in for the climbing scene. During the filming, John Wayne refused to come out of his trailer because it was raining. The crews around where the filming was done started to call him Marion, (his real name.) John C, you forgot the 1-1/4 X 60 choker and 3' of snow/slush with a couple of sticks of loggers 2 in your hip pocket for shooting choker holes in the frozen ground.. Yup, I'm a wimp anymore and proud of it....

  81. #81Hallback2018-02-21 13:35

    I agree John! After swinging an axe pounding wedges for 25 years I definitely don't want to be out in the snow or sideways rain more than I have to.

  82. #82Hallback2018-02-21 13:36

    Unless, unless it is to wreckreate and I just have a deep desire to do so. But I have given up hunting and only go skiing a couple times a year now as different hobbies and relaxation are far more my forte now

  83. #83skadill2018-02-23 23:08

    Just discovered this new thread now,neat variety here guys!! I'll start with my favorite toy for tonight.

  84. #84Hallback2018-02-23 23:16

    What a good looking & running car!!

  85. #85Jumbo2018-02-24 23:34

    For those who weren't at Eugene this weekend for the OLC, There was a nice article about Skadill in the Timber West show program.

  86. #86Hallback2018-02-25 09:15

    I read that in Timberwest, congratulations man!!

  87. #87skadill2018-02-25 21:25

    Thanks!,it was an interview a few years back re-published,original one was a much longer in our Canadian logging magazine.link----http://forestnet.com/LSJissues/2014_August_September/iron.php

  88. #88John Shipp2018-02-28 15:37

    Thanks for the link, is good to read the background of the work you've been doing. Sure has influenced and shown me a whole load of mechanisation and places that I would likely not have ever known of. Cheers.

  89. #89John C.2018-02-28 21:09

    Thanks for the link! Many of us would love to have the time to revisit the sites where we worked and go look at the old iron we ran and worked on. I appreciate you taking the time to find and post the photos and videos. Thanks

  90. #90td25c2018-03-03 22:44

    Nice work on the 383 mill Camaro project skadill ! I love it !

  91. #91diamondtguy2018-03-18 21:00

    Always something interesting to rebuild in my shop.On one bench I have a shovelhead Harley engine to rebuild and on this bench I have something very unique.This is a supercharger off a 1939 Graham Shark Nose..I will disassemble it, do any needed repairs,probably detail it and ship it back to the owner in Miami.I currently have the block in Buffalo NY getting some stitch welding done on a freeze crack... Good thing I have nothing else to do (har har)

  92. #92John C.2018-03-18 21:22

    This is quite the centrifugal blower. I wonder how fast it turned and how much boost it produced.

  93. #93diamondtguy2018-03-18 23:44

    I would imagine it is only good for 2 or 3 pounds of boost.Engine is a flat head Continental that probably seldom see's 3000rpm and has a wopping 6-1 compression..Non the less its a factory pc on a very interesting car.

  94. #94Hallback2018-03-19 00:18

    Very cool!!

  95. #95td25c2018-03-19 07:44

    Spotted an article in Hemmings . https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/h...-Dream---1939-Graham--Sharknose-/3749838.html 218 cubic inch mill . 90 HP naturally aspirated 116 HP supercharged Pretty cool stuff !

  96. #96Hank R2018-03-19 08:10

    Very interesting write up on the Graham

  97. #97Murk1002018-03-23 22:26
  98. #98Hallback2018-03-23 22:27

    That looks like the most ingenious dump truck I have seen yet. Nice work!

  99. #99Murk1002018-03-23 22:35

    My pride and joy... got tired of pushing my wheel barrel uphill..so I came up with this brainwave, haven't figured out a speed control yet. It certainty helps with the worn out knees. Differential of a power scooter 24V. Had a toggle switch at first so after a couple of runaways went to a open/Close button of a 7280 lol

  100. #100wornout wrench2018-03-24 13:58

    I had to page back up and look at the button again. My wife was asking me why I was laughing so hard... For your throttle, have a look at this hahaha http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/throttles.html Maybe a little too high tech for what you are running there

  101. #101Graham12018-03-24 16:40

    The safety boots make all the difference. At work I’m very safety conscious. My father lost a foot at work, but at home Crocs rule. Graham

  102. #102John Shipp2018-03-26 13:45

    A lot of the year seems to be 6 day working week, and if not careful part of the 7th day gets roped in getting ready for Monday. So I really value my Sunday "day off", and on Sundays my hobby is to eat. And chase the kids around laughing. Most Sundays we're lucky in that super mum/wife cooks us fresh pancakes for breakfast. It's a good start to a day of snacks and hopefully roast dinner.

  103. #103John Shipp2018-03-26 13:48

    Last Sunday I was sent on a mission, and as a bonus I found a great cafe along the way. Very peaceful, very rarely sit quietly in a restaurant on my own, but it was breakfast from heaven.

  104. #104Graham12018-03-26 15:18

    What more could you want, a full English, cooked by someone else, piece and quiet and a book? Don’t let the missus see your post or no more trips out on your own. Graham

  105. #105Hank R2018-03-26 15:32

    John I see you read the same Earthmovers maginze I get to read over here.

  106. #106Hallback2018-03-26 21:35

    Those plates look very good!

  107. #107John Shipp2018-03-27 01:38

    It's a good hobby. In the warmer months we cook outside over fire embers when we can, burger night or sometimes steak night. Then to break it up a bit, we try and do something more fancy. Here is venison sausages, salmon, and little rack of lamb.

  108. #108old-iron-habit2018-03-27 18:12

    Your wood cooking is mouth watering. We also outdoor cook over a wood fire burned down to coals. Waiting for the snow to melt so we can use our new fire ring for the first time. It is made out of 12 Cat 30 track pads butt welded to each other. We use a piece of Stainless Steel open decking to carry the food. I'll post a picture when it melts out of the snow bank.

  109. #109John Shipp2018-03-28 02:16

    OIH, your use of track plates is interesting, will they take the heat well without distorting? We've been using washing machine drums with the pulley turned round on the back, they stand like a wine glass. Being stainless steel they last a long time. We have several on the go if cooking for a mob, and alternate the grills around as they burn down, it can be a juggle though. I'd like to make up a grill a bit like a pinball machine with a firebox at the back, where a constant fire can roar away and embers can be raked out from under it and dragged beneath the grill to wherever needed. One day maybe!

  110. #110Jumbo2018-04-02 01:22

    Oh my, we have made a minor transition from iron to food. My favorite hobby.... I just cannot indulge it as much as I used to.

  111. #111Hallback2018-05-30 15:16

    Fitting as he is only five & a half months old.

  112. #112kshansen2018-05-30 19:38

    A few years back I might have considered some of those items. See I had all of a one mile one way run to work and had wondered about building an electric powered sidecar out fit to replace the engine in the old Yam 650. For the short run I figured one or two 4D or 8D batteries powering a 40 MT Starter modified to run a chain sprocket would be more than enough but had no idea of how to control the speed. Figured I would have been able to plug into on of the leads outside the shop that were used for block heaters at night and get free power to recharge the batteries. The two neighbors I passed on my commute would have probably liked the quite too! Who knows if I run out of projects I might do it some day just for kicks. Just need to make sure it can make the three mile one way run to the store for a beer and pizza run!

  113. #113old-iron-habit2018-05-30 22:52

    Sounds like it would have been like the reverse on my side hack. It has a starter that is either full blast or nothing running only the sidecar wheel. It has a two speed switch but both are to fast. It spins the side car wheel every time I used it.

  114. #114kshansen2018-05-31 09:17

    Now there is another idea I could have incorporated, a reversing switch to have power forwards or reverse! While at it why not add a second smaller starter motor over on the sidecar wheel for 2 wheel dive in the winter.

  115. #115Labparamour2018-05-31 11:30

    What a handsome pup!! Darryl

  116. #116Hallback2018-07-10 23:14

    And another project has been added.

  117. #117td25c2018-07-10 23:16

    I love it !

  118. #118Hallback2018-07-10 23:20

    Thanks! I already have a 14-1 421" small block for it and new front suspension on it's way.

  119. #119diamondtguy2018-07-11 00:22

    Current job in my shop..This is a 69 428 super cobra jet..My friend (recently passed away) owned it for 45 years.I am the builder and have looked after the car since 91.New owner would like me to do a few things before it goes to his second home in Vernon.He lives in Alberta where the car originates from...Original drive train and all original body (suspension not so stock)..... Sitting in my shop is the 66 Fastback with the 428 CJ 4spd,my 68 fastback with the 427 5spd and the 428 SCJ.Big block Mustang month I guess..

  120. #120Skeans12018-07-11 07:13

    Here’s my last build started as a 88 250r to a 431 puma R

  121. #121Hallback2018-07-11 09:51

    Growing up next door to Jim VanCleve in Morton I have a deep fondness for the rowdy & rare Ford's. Such amazing cars, such thought and ingenuity went into them. Thanks for sharing!

  122. #122Hallback2018-07-11 21:06

    Aunt June got some new (From my parts pile anyway) shoes last night.

  123. #123Hallback2018-08-19 13:36

    And she got some new front suspension also.

  124. #124Born2clearcut2018-09-24 11:06

    This is my latest 2wheel ride. Bought it early June it's a Giant Trance2 11speed Dual suspension with 6inches of travel ,dropper seat post, hydraulic disc brakes. Awesome trail bike. Had a crash at end of June on it ended up with 2 broken ribs and bruised lung. But back in the saddle again

  125. #125Hank R2018-09-24 13:24

    Sorry about your Crash, Great bike my step son has a 2016 Trance2 I ride a Brodie Knack

  126. #126Hank R2018-09-24 15:03

    I was WRONG he has a Trance 3 2017 missed the edit time ..

  127. #127Hallback2018-09-24 18:23

    Nice ride! Makes my Specialized look like a Sanford & sons special!

  128. #128td25c2018-09-24 19:55

    That's an awesome bike Born2clearcut ! Glad to hear you are back in action after the accident . Still have some "old iron BMX " bikes from younger day's . 1979 Redline . HeavyEquipmentForums Little brothers Schwinn Predator from the mid 1980's HeavyEquipmentForums They are a lot of fun to ride but got to be careful as I don't heal up as fast as I used to .

  129. #129Hallback2018-09-24 20:07

    I have a Skyway ta sitting out in my shop that needs full restoration still.

  130. #130td25c2018-09-24 20:15

    Never was around a Skyway but they look like a pretty cool BMX bike . https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/skyway/

  131. #131Hallback2018-09-24 20:28

    It was my cousin's and he left it outside in the shed to go to hell and I drug it back in the shop about 5 years ago to rescue it from the rust. My last BMX bike I had in 9th and 10th grade was a PK Ripper with Bullseye 3 piece cranks, a DK neck, CW handlebars and Z rims Z 48 with Bullseye hubs.

  132. #132td25c2018-09-24 21:16

    I would love to find some 5 spoke skyway " Tuff Wheels " for the Schwinn Predator .

  133. #133Hallback2018-09-24 21:28

    I had a couple sets of those, the tuff 2's also.

  134. #134Born2clearcut2018-09-25 10:22

    My brother was a sponsored Redline rider up here in BC back in the early 80s. He was ranked 3rd in BC and 6th in Canada . They would give him new frames to test out at times . We would build huge jumps and see if we could kill those frames. Most made it , some didn't. P.S. Our huge jumps back then would be classed as small ones to todays standards.

  135. #135diamondtguy2018-12-22 23:43

    This is the 1965 427 for my 68..Engine was first installed in the car in 88.Same shortblock but new heads and top end..Finish on most of the aluminum is ceramic coat...Engine will get a TKO-600 5spd behind it...... Intake is a 2pc unit that actually uses a 351C manifold on top... I have owned this car since I graduated in 1977...

  136. #136HD Mech2018-12-23 00:13

    Awesome looking car and engine diamondtguy! Merry Christmas everybody!

  137. #137Hallback2018-12-23 07:51

    Very Nice! I finally got the 67 back on the ground, got the trans, rearend & clutch for it also.

  138. #138Hallback2018-12-23 07:55

    I also picked up my next project last weekend, another 55 210. The last photo is how it will sit when completed only in black.

  139. #139Hallback2018-12-23 07:55

    Merry Christmas to all of you and your families!

  140. #140Labparamour2018-12-23 14:15

    Merry Christmas!

  141. #141furpo2018-12-31 23:34

    This is one of my past times. It's a 12 foot skiff. Off to Sydney, Australia in a couple of days to take on the aussies I'm also into my cars. Got a 79 GT Clumban mini and a st185 Toyota celica. During winter down here I play rugby for the local club which allows me to pretend I'm still young.

  142. #142Hallback2019-01-01 07:36

    Damn, that is pretty intense!!

  143. #143Graham12019-01-01 11:13

    Dinghy sailing seems to have changed since I last went as a teenager!

  144. #144Hallback2019-01-01 13:37

    I have gotten quite a bit more done on the car lately and also picked up a couple others.

  145. #145Hallback2019-01-01 13:38
  146. #146Hank R2019-01-01 13:54

    Your making some serious HP there. Do you do your own engine building?

  147. #147Hallback2019-01-01 16:49

    That engine was built by Mike Moran. 618", twin promod 94's on alcohol. Chassis dyno was maxed @ 3200hp.

  148. #148Hank R2019-01-01 16:53

    Sounds like a Buckey Austin or Brad Anderson funny car engine from the good old day's 80's

  149. #149Hallback2019-01-01 17:32

    My next one will be a screw blown Brad.

  150. #150Hank R2019-01-01 18:25

    Hard to beat the sound of a AA/FC engine.

  151. #151Hallback2019-01-01 18:27

    Yes it Is! Miner bros took over Fontana & builds some nice stuff also.

  152. #152Hallback2019-01-12 22:42
  153. #153Hallback2019-12-28 19:44

    Long time since last update here. I have started on another 55. 42k mile car that hadn't left it's garage since 85.

  154. #154Hallback2019-12-28 19:45

    Long time since last update here. I have started on another 55. 42k mile car that hadn't left it's garage since 85. View attachment 207579 View attachment 207580 View attachment 207579 View attachment 207580 View attachment 207581

  155. #155Hallback2019-12-28 19:46

    Long time since last update here. I have started on another 55. 42k mile car that hadn't left it's garage since 85. View attachment 207579 View attachment 207580 View attachment 207579 View attachment 207580 View attachment 207581

  156. #156aighead2020-01-15 16:39

    Holy crap! There are like nine buttloads of talent in you guys! Well done! I'm not in forestry operations, per se, other than my backyard, but I like this thread a lot. I'm a fairly new woodworker and I'm very hesitant to call myself that. I just started turning wood a couple years ago and haven't practiced a whole lot but below are some of my projects. I'm an even newer metal worker to the point of not having any projects there at all but an interest in making weird sculpturey stuff. I also have a motorcycle (2004 Honda VTX1300) that is fun but has kind of grown a bit too scary for me. I wish I had the energy some of you guys seem to have!

  157. #157Hank R2020-01-15 16:43

    Nice wood turning you have done.

  158. #158Hallback2020-01-15 21:02

    I have done some woodworking but not real good at it yet.

  159. #159aighead2020-01-16 09:03

    Hallback, the inside of that box is very pretty! Well done!

  160. #160Hallback2020-01-16 18:26

    Thank You! It was my first attempt at making one.

  161. #161diamondtguy2020-03-14 20:59

    Finally got the 427 back in my 68..No excuses now.Time to get the car back on the road after a very lengthy rebuild (rotisserie) and some major changes..I have owned this car since I graduated in 1977.... I have yet to perfect the art of taking pics in my shop with my lighting...

  162. #162Truck Shop2020-03-15 21:30

    DT is that a iron block 427 SO or a Dove?

  163. #163diamondtguy2020-03-15 22:12

    Its a original Ford (1965) with some modern aluminum heads.I have owned this one(I have had 3) since the mid 80's.Must have had a quiet early life.I had to bore it out .017 but other wise its all still std. Its always been a happy engine...

  164. #164Truck Shop2020-03-16 07:34

    Those factory 427 blocks had allot of nickle in them, years ago I bored two of them and a freshly bored 427 the bores would really shine.

  165. #165diamondtguy2020-03-16 19:00

    Car has a functional scoop (Cougar Eliminator) . It likes air..

  166. #166Truck Shop2020-03-16 20:46

    DT, what heads did you use? Medium Riser and which brand of cylinder head. I ask because I have always been a FE fan. Too bad I didn't know you when I cleaned out my FE and Cleveland stash. I had 16 sets of 14 and 16 bolt GT heads and 11 428 blocks and 10 428 cranks. And 1 1967 427 SO short block. Three 1 3/8 input top loaders.

  167. #167Hallback2020-03-16 22:31

    That would have made one hell of a combo for a 63 and a half Galaxy!

  168. #168diamondtguy2020-03-16 23:31

    ..... Wow....I would have been your best buddy... My heads are Edelbrock 427's that I had 2.19 and 1.75 valves pit in...Probably more than my cam needs but I wanted the OEM size valves..I redrilled them for 16 bolt exhaust pattern and have FPA tri-y headers on them. Intake is a two pc design (similar to the old PSE stuff) that uses a 351C 4V manifold.. I am actually a big fan of 351C's. Here is a 351C 4V that I did a couple years ago.Trick Flow aluminum heads ,Eagle rods,hyd roller cam from Howards down the coast and a host of other goodies.I did the sheetmetal resto on the car,built the engine and built those fancy shock tower braces.Car is a 69 Falcon.I did the original 351C for it 30 years ago..

  169. #169Truck Shop2020-03-17 03:05

    How many complete Cleveland's and parts did I have? 3 two barrel engines complete, 5 open chamber 1972 4 barrel's, 6 closed chamber 1970/71 4 barrel's, 3 short blocks, multiple cranks, and 3 sets of complete closed chamber heads. When I worked for the towing company years ago, I would bid on any abandoned Ford with FE or Cleveland power. Many of those I bought for starting bid of $40.00 bucks. I sold the whole lot to three guys from Seattle, including all my 66 and 67 Fairlane parts and sheet metal. Three full pickup loads and a full size U Haul truck it took for them to move it away. I just got tired of the stuff and decided I was never going to use any of it.

  170. #170Truck Shop2020-03-17 07:22

    This 318 in my 84 Dodge 150 was a real sleeper, I didn't build it for speed but rather for torque. I bought a 85 roller cam engine and installed a 390 stroker kit with a mild 262 cam and a aluminum intake with a real Carter that I had been saving for years with some old/early aluminum valve covers and a Summit ready to run ignition. And a Hooker mandrel bent dual exhaust system. It wasn't a real hot dog but it pulled real hard and was very reliable. The nice thing about it was it just looked like a dressed up 318 with a four barrel that idled smooth. I would never tell anyone it was more than a 318 and they would just think {dog}.

  171. #171diamondtguy2020-03-28 23:15

    My friend took these pics with his phone....makes me wonder why I have a digital camera...I still have a flip phone...

  172. #172Hallback2020-03-29 08:15

    Getting the 396 buttoned up for the 55. It's been a long time since I did much work with stockish parts and I must say that it has been relaxing. Cleaning & painting every factory bolt, ect. I still have to pinstripe the intake & valve covers.

  173. #173aighead2020-03-30 09:36

    It took me way to long to make my dining room table but I'm finally done!

  174. #174Truck Shop2020-03-30 18:21

    I like early big cu.in. engines. https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ent...-–-us-edition/ss-BB11fWs4?li=BBnb7Kz#image=19

  175. #175Hallback2020-08-26 23:22

    55 is getting closer!

  176. #176cw4Bray2020-12-28 22:40

    https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-heavy-duty-folding-trailer

  177. #177aighead2020-12-29 06:48

    Man, @cw4Bray , that little plane looks like it'd be a ton of fun! Neat!

  178. #178Hallback2020-12-31 08:56

    The 55 is getting a little closer.

  179. #179Hallback2020-12-31 08:57

    And I picked this up as a driver

  180. #180Truck Shop2020-12-31 09:08

    need to prune that shifter, it grew to long.

  181. #181Hallback2020-12-31 09:21

    It must have been all the fertilizer Rod sprinkled on it!

  182. #182cw4Bray2020-12-31 11:26

    Aig, A Onex is a hoot to fly - but getting 80 hp. out of a 36 hp. engine is quite a stretch, you can never have enough power when the trees are coming up at the end of a runway. A automotive engine is a poor substitute / compromise for a 100 year old certified aircraft engine. I can't take credit for building this one, I'm in awe of the original builder, in today's era of instant gratification, three or four years build time and the risk of losing all interest in the project altogether before complete, also the investment expense vs. purchasing a completed model, it doesn't pencil out. I've done work on planes then flown them, so I know that finishing a project feels wonderful and that's why I'm in awe of all these gorgeous projects others have done.

  183. #183aighead2020-12-31 12:30

    @Hallback , those are incredible! @cw4Bray , Piloting anything is one of those things I'd love to do but will likely never afford myself the chance to actually do it. I can't imagine zipping around in something as tiny as that!

  184. #184Truck Shop2021-01-01 20:48

    The Aspark Owl 1985 HP electric-0 to 60 in 1.72 seconds. https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...w-on-sale/ar-BB1cmkrz?ocid=DELLDHP&li=BBnbfcL

  185. #185skyking12021-01-01 21:36

    I've helped on a couple of Lancair IV's, but never did ride in either one. If I were to try something it would certainly be a fast build kit.

  186. #186cw4Bray2021-01-01 22:05

    This makes a Tesla look like a bargain.

  187. #187Hallback2021-01-09 21:25

    Just broke in camshaft today.

  188. #188Truck Shop2021-01-09 21:31

    My my my that is rather lumpy .

  189. #189Hallback2021-01-09 21:43

    It's all bark, just a 325hp 396 that I put an airgap dual plane intake on with a Holley 850hp carb. Cam is a Comp 284H hydraulic flat tappet. Sounds just right!

  190. #190Truck Shop2021-01-09 21:45

    What is the lift at 50

  191. #191Hallback2021-01-09 21:51

    Duration is 240/246 @ .050 Lift is .574/.578 Just a baby with parking lot growl. Lol

  192. #192Truck Shop2021-01-09 21:57

    I had that backwards. 547-78 isn't mild for that bore stroke @284. JMO

  193. #193Hallback2021-01-09 22:04

    Honestly it should be right about 460-470hp.

  194. #194Truck Shop2021-01-11 20:02
  195. #195Truck Shop2021-01-11 20:21

    Final kill is a chebell at the end.

  196. #196Hallback2024-09-22 19:27

    Well it's been a while since I've visited this thread. I built a handful of rigs since this thread started and done some fishing this year as well. Getting ready to install a 7.3 powerstroke and a 5-speed in this over the winter.

  197. #197westerner2024-09-22 19:57

    What transfer case?

  198. #198Hallback2024-09-23 09:56

    205 divorced mount

  199. #199Truck Shop2024-09-23 14:48

    You know it's hard to find a good divorcee,

  200. #200westerner2024-09-23 21:17

    The 205, as the Dana 24, are nearly bulletproof. Keep oil in 'em, and they will take a lot of torque...

  201. #201cw4Bray2024-09-23 21:29

    Saw this in a shop I visited. This was an F350. I don’t know anything about it, but it looks cool.

  202. #202Hallback2024-09-23 23:08

    Looks like a Sherpa style build

  203. #203westerner2024-09-25 21:19

    I'll wager it doesn't have a NP205 OR a Dana24....

  204. #204Truck Shop2024-09-27 20:41

    Here's a rare one Hallback, 1964 Mickey Thompson 480 cu.in. Hemi 427 Ford. Only two built. Get a load of the roller lifters/three piece articulating push rods to snake around intake runners. Ford hemi head on left 392 Chrysler hemi head on right. *

  205. #205Hallback2024-09-28 00:09

    That is damn cool! The Ford head looks like a modern-day Noonan head. That thing was definitely ahead of its time!

  206. #20656wrench2024-09-28 10:05

    I’ve seen pictures and articles on that engine before and i wonder about the longevity of the multipiece pushrods. MT was quite an innovator. Was his murder ever solved?

  207. #207Hallback2024-09-28 14:46

    It's my knowledge it never was. One only has to think that it was an inside industry job.

  208. #208Truck Shop2024-09-28 16:44

    Maguire's had him waxed because he was trying to horn in with M/T polish of his own. It really caused a shakeup when the shakedown happened.

  209. #209Former Wrench2024-09-30 14:40

    In 2007 MT's business partner, Michael Frank Goodwin was convicted of the murder. It was over $ owed to MT.

  210. #210Welder Dave2024-09-30 22:53

    I think it was money owed to Mike Goodwin. Mike Goodwin was the father of AMA Supercross and it was extremely lucrative. He partnered with MT entertainment group that wasn't very profitable. There was a write up I read several years ago and another one in Motocross Action magazine. I can't remember all the details but Goodwin claimed MT never accounted for the money made from Supercross in court proceedings. MT's sister was a big time lawyer/ prosecuter or something along those lines and she's the one who really pushed for Goodwins conviction. It was all circumstantial evidence but very strong at that. MT's neighbor(s) remembered seeing a station wagon parked a few blocks away from MT's house a couple days before the murders and the driver resembled Mike Goodwin. The 2 suspects fled on bicycles and were never caught. Mike Goodwin says he didn't order the murders but the general consensus is he's guilty as sin. He had the motive, the opportunity and the intent. He should have never partnered with Mickey Thompson. It sounded like MT was a little (or a lot) crooked with the books.

  211. #211Hank R2024-10-01 13:26

    I always wondered what happened Interesting.

  212. #212Welder Dave2024-10-01 18:50

    It was a very interesting read. Like when the first paragraph of a book catches your attention and you can't put it down. Could probably find it by googling Mickey Thompson murder. I'll see if I can find it.

  213. #213Welder Dave2024-10-01 20:00

    I couldn't find the exact article I read but found the details of the trial. Mike Goodwin was ordered to pay Mickey Thompson $500K+. That's where Goodwin says the money from Supercross was never considered in the judgement. Just after the murders Goodwin buys a $400K yacht and heads to the Turks and Caicos islands and moves his other assets to an offshore account. There are also a couple articles saying former LAPD officers were the ones who committed the murders. I couldn't find it but Goodwin said he made something like $100,000.00 in a few hours putting on a supercross race at the Los Angeles coliseum. People v. Goodwin, No. B197574 | Casetext Search + Citator Read People v. Goodwin, No. B197574, see flags on bad law, and search Casetext’s comprehensive legal database casetext.com

  214. #214Welder Dave2024-10-02 01:33

    I was a little off earlier. I found where Goodwin put more people in the seats than the NFL. Billy Graham was the only one who had more. He said he made $600,000 in a single day! This might be the article I read. Mickey Thompson Murder, Mike Goodwin trial, part 1 Mickey Thompson Murdered, Mike Goodwin on trial LA Weekly article on the coming trial of motorcross founder Mike Goodwin, on the murder of famed racer Mickey Thompson. A bloody engaging story. http://www.laweekly.com/general/features/murder-on-the-last-turn/14781/ Murder On the Last... www.audiokarma.org mickey Thompson Murder, Mike Goodwin trial, part 2 Goodwin was apparently so furious at what he considered Thompson’s outrageous insistence on collecting the judgment that once, when Bill Wilson, the manager of what was then Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego, asked him how things were going, Goodwin said, “Terrible. ****ing Thompson is killing... www.audiokarma.org