Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Aftermarket AC’s for old iron

NMBlackBetty · 2026-03-30 03:01

Anybody ever seen anything in the way of aftermarket AC systems for Old Iron? Have a few old machines around, dozer, backhoe, Scraper etc. All 70's through early 80's stuff. Getting sick of sitting in cabs without AC on hot summer days. Looking into ideas to get AC units in them. Ideas?

Replies13
  1. #1LN Pipeline2026-03-30 03:17

    I’ve had good luck with AP Air. The last kit I bought from them had a USA made Sanden compressor.

  2. #2Truck Shop2026-03-30 07:41

    Red Dot.

  3. #3reganj2026-03-30 20:36

    Go ahead and start laughing,,,, What about a RV type AC? If you are in heavy or brushy conditions, weld up a protective cage.

  4. #4smifwal2026-03-30 22:05

    Laugh? I have been thinking about putting one in my F550 the A/C blows like a whisper air doesn't even touch my face

  5. #5NMBlackBetty2026-03-30 22:25

    Rv AC's are still 120 volts

  6. #6LN Pipeline2026-03-30 22:38

    What year F550?

  7. #7Baxsie2026-03-30 23:39

    12v / 24v AC: Modspioneers There are other DC RV air conditioner The A/C kits for classic cars might be a good starting place.

  8. #8smifwal2026-03-31 04:51

    2012

  9. #9LN Pipeline2026-03-31 12:23

    Our 2012 F350 constantly gets a plugged evaporator. I used an oscillating tool to cut a hole in the plenum behind the glove compartment, and use it to blow out the evaporator. Then cover it with some Flex tape till it plugs again. Ford should have put some sort of serviceable filter ahead of the evaporator.

  10. #10smifwal2026-03-31 20:04

    I have that same hole with that same flexible tape I have gone the garden hose route the air route I'm also used AC condenser cleaner I was going to do it again this year over and over and over testing it with my wind gauge don't know what it's called. Can't remember what year after the 2012 but they have a filter now

  11. #11Tyler d4c2026-03-31 21:27

    They did add a filter for that on the 17 and up models

  12. #12smifwal2026-03-31 22:26

    You should see the dumb **** I have tried to do to in a effort to get cool air on my face . I bought a 3" boat fan for bringing heat out of the engine bay on a power boat. I mounted it right to the dash using holes the last guys had GPS mounted. That was great for wind but a little loud and the air wasn't cold like the truck evaporator couldn't keep up. And it was bulky. So I got some small fans, tore them apart had to trim the blades so they would fit in the duct inside the vent. I put one in a vent blowing in and the one by the shifter blowing out. That seems to work on but it isn't super cold. With no fans running the a/c blows cold but I guess with the fans I am asking for too much too fast for the evaporator. My last crew cab was the same way. My 17 ford explorer limited have front and rear a both blow harder than my WORK TRUCK (Just in case ford is listening). It also has ventilates seats. Next truck and loader will have those. I to my cat sales person I don't care how much it cost I want that feature ( I make him lay out how we made it to $92k) I can be cold in the explorer jump in to 550 and be sweating down in to my boots it is disgusting next thing purchase will be a newer 550 and you better believe I will have my anemometer (I looked up) handy.

  13. #13Deere500a2026-04-17 11:46

    YouTube C&C equipment has a new video of a **** poor $8900 aftermarket ac install on a D7g