Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Aftermarket CTL tracks

Edward Porter ยท 2018-02-26 21:38

Today was not the best. I blew the track on my Gehl CTL 85. Was warking on frozen swell and ripped one in half and the other 1/2 way through. I was able to drag the machine up on my rollback and unload it in the shop. The manure and snow is melting so I can clean it off it get a set of new tracks . 1200 hours on machine, Rollers are good but track had started to separate a couple hundred hours ago. What is the best aftermarket track and what should I stay away from? Appreciate everyones inputs Thanks in advance for your opinions

Replies26
  1. #1skata2018-02-27 03:15

    not sure about the best, but you can find some good deals on ebay for tracks. sounds like you should have had a backup set ready to go...

  2. #2denalidigger2018-02-27 14:26

    Not bad, I usually get 1000 hours out of a set. But we use and abuse it like a mini dozer! Careful with aftermarket tracks, get what ya pay for.. I tried that once and they lasted 400 hours. I spend couple hundred more and get name brand off ebay or through my dealer. Camoplast, prowler, MWE are all good aftermarket brands.

  3. #3heymccall2018-02-27 20:11

    I swear by ITR tracks. Wouldn't run anything else on my TL150 Takeuchi machines.

  4. #4KSSS2018-02-27 22:53

    I have used Trojan replacement tracks on a mini ex, and I am happy with the quality of them. The price was really good. I have been using these for replacement tracks on my CTL's www.srjinc.com I like the multi bar design, they hook better than the large pad oem style tracks in my opinion. Much better in the Winter as well. Great avatar pic by the way.

  5. #5skata2018-02-27 22:57

    how much would it cost to get the oem bridgestone tracks? dealer just told me bad idea!

  6. #6Hysert2018-02-28 11:08

    I put a set of camoplast SD on our SVL90. They have been great!! Winter and summer!! About a 1000hrs on them and at 40/50%

  7. #7Edward Porter2018-02-28 21:26

    Went on Ebay and asked for a quote from Midwest Equipment. Guy called yesterday morning and I bought a pair of MWE tracks. 5 day to ship to the ranch. C bar tread design like I had. $2400 to my door. Gehl dealer wanted for OEM Take tracks $7K plus shipping. Pretty proud !. I cut the one track off machine as it was torn 1/2 thru and cleaned up the snow , ice and manure packed around the track assemblies. UGGGH! Rollers are good and sprocket. I am ready for putting the new ones on. Meanwhile the barnyard is getting deeper in sh*t

  8. #8Edward Porter2018-02-28 21:29
  9. #9skata2018-03-02 15:01

    looks like you got a job in front of you

  10. #10ilovetracks2018-03-06 19:18

    when my tl140 ones blew out I chickened out and bought oem! Dealer had a lot of horror stories with aftermarket and they sell those too. Get what you pay for and the warranties are prorated remember that. either way don't forget new sprockets. anymore everytime I go cheap in the end I pay double and have to do it twice.

  11. #11skata2018-03-07 03:09

    how much did the oem tracks cost?

  12. #12denalidigger2018-03-09 10:46

    i just bought camoplast tracks for my tv380, from my dealer they were 2,100.00.. Not bad at all and I really like the camoplast track and design.

  13. #13Edward Porter2018-03-10 23:05

    Got my tracks on Friday. They look real good. I spent about 2 hrs on one side and 15 mins on the other replacing the tracks. Faster with a knuckle boom crane putting them on than a little kobota tractor that didn't have enough muscle. The MWE tracks work very well. Been loading wet manure in the mud today

  14. #14skata2018-03-11 04:12

    i've seen some of the pics of mwe tracks having rubber where the rollers ride, instead of metal to metal like oem. how are yours setup?

  15. #15Tags2018-03-11 11:33

    The rubber is a coating from manufacturing the tracks, there is steel under there. I've put a few sets of these on other peoples machines and they always come trough looking like that, the Camoplast/Solideal ones do anyway....

  16. #16Edward Porter2018-03-11 16:51

    The mwe tracks had a rubber coating over the metal. Maybe a rust ptreventative thing

  17. #17skata2018-03-12 01:15

    ok, so its not like a thick rubber rail like in the pic above, like how the latest takeuchis ride on rubber now instead of steel?

  18. #18ilovetracks2018-03-14 23:28

    tl140 oem were like 1,800 per side if i remember right, about 5 years ago.

  19. #192772018-03-25 11:15

    Edward, I think you will really like the MWE tracks. I put the "multi-bar" design on my Cat 277 before I sold it, and within the last 6 months put the J-Pattern tracks on my Cat 279c. I'm really impressed with them and they gave me a sprocket gauge. I'm fortunate to live close by them!

  20. #20Edward Porter2018-03-25 21:37

    Have been wading around in the mud and manure and the MWE tracks seem to work well. They shed the crap off and don't load up. Happy so far

  21. #21zigblazer2018-08-04 21:39

    I need a track for my 277B, the drive lugs ripped off one of mine. It had lots of tread left, not sure what brand it was, but I'd like for that not to happen again. I only use it for my house, doing landscaping and loading sandy gravel for myself. Personal use, not a business. I've had it a little over a year and put 250 hours on it. About 10 working with sand/gravel and most of the rest in dirt/mud. I don't think I'd ever wear a track out, or run on rough enough stuff to cut one up. I don't even plow with it or use it in the winter at all. Just need one to stay in one piece. I was looking at a Prowler track. Has anyone used them, or have any other suggestions for a replacement? I requested a quote from MWE. I also have to wait for my old house to sell before I can afford to get a track, so I'm stuck with a useless machine for a bit.

  22. #222772018-08-05 00:20

    I just sold one of my old tracks on my old 277 for $100. I do not have any experience with Prowler, but have purchased 2 sets from MWE and have been completely satisfied so far!

  23. #23Edward Porter2018-08-05 20:43

    I have about 200 hrs on my MWE tracks and they perform well. What a difference new tracks make . The machine really hooks up on traction.

  24. #24Georgia Iron2018-08-10 20:10

    I had a set of ITR tracks on my tl150. Had 200 hours on them and one of them came apart. The metal drive lugs are just molded into the rubber track. Once the rubber splits near the lug they can pull out. One metal lug popped out and I thought it was going to be ok. But within an hour of loading logs 10 came out and then sprocket tore the center of the track out... I have the straight bar dozer type tracks and ITR did not have any in stock in GA. Needed to be freighted from MS. I did not have time to wait so I bought an Earthworks C pattern track from Wilson Findley. Cost was $1000.00 for one. I have been using the the C pattern with the bar pattern on the other side. I have been in mud and dry dirt and I have not be able to notice a difference in how they pull. I believe I was operating on a bank the first time that track derailed on a side slope. Once you hear a pop or creak STOP and dont move. Dont let the drive motor force it back on.. A few times of that and the tracks will break apart! I have looked to see if any of the tracks have a better way of holding the metal lugs in place, It would be nice if the metal lugs were all attached to each other like a dozer, then have bolt on rubber pads but they are made cheap and they come apart and break. If you find something new let us know!

  25. #25heymccall2018-08-10 22:28

    That's odd. I run almost strictly ITR tracks, and NEVER had a bar pull out. Broken the cables on a few high hour ones, but, the only bars pulled out were on the OEM bridgestones.

  26. #26Georgia Iron2018-08-11 16:15

    Well you know it is august. So far I have broken the tl150 track, dropped a log on to the dump truck door denting the door and ripping the mirror off, my 90 gallon aluminum transfer tank decided to pop apart at the welds, de-tracked my excavator, almost de-tracked the 953 the chain was off the sprocket, broken my trailer at least 5 times requiring welds on the ramps and frame, broken 3 16' trailer boards. I still have all my fingers and toes so life is good.