Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Aftermarket Hydraulic Cylinder Seal Kits

Art_H ยท 2013-02-26 01:38

All, Wondering how the aftermarket seal kits fare compared to the OEM. My boom cylinder just started weeping, and want some options. Thanks, Art

Replies15
  1. #1jack3452013-02-26 12:15

    Once you have it apart and know the size seals required check with local hydraulic repair shop.Also did see kits on ebay. Knowing the size is key. I purchased OEM but now would checkout aftermarket.(wanted to have parts in hand before taking apart =OEM)

  2. #2Art_H2013-02-26 15:01

    Thanks jack, I 'm just about to price an OEM kit. We'll have a look at the difference in price to start.

  3. #3BIG IRON MECH.2013-02-28 23:09

    If you are from the Fraser Valley or lower mainland call Grizzly Seal Supplies in Langley, they supply everbody with seals. They are usually NOK brand. Always have good success with them.

  4. #4JGS Parts2013-03-01 00:10

    Yeah i would defferantly look at NOK for a good after market one . actually NOK supply's a lot of the seals to the Major OEM's. but just check that the seals have NOK stamped on the main ones or they are copys coming out of china just rebagging them this is getting common in australia and other places just becareful.

  5. #5Art_H2013-03-04 12:47

    Thanks Gents, Grizzly makes up their own kits it seems, and includes the DU bushing and oring face orings as well. A complete field service kit. I like that. The better aspect of Grizzly is the price. Complete kit for $137 compared to OEM $750 including DU bushing. Thanks for the connection. I'll look into the NOK brand. Art

  6. #6pjflyer2013-03-18 14:28

    Needing to repack all cylinders on an Insley (boom, hoe, bucket). Don't have the sizes at hand. Do they seem to be the best at kits?

  7. #7Art_H2013-03-18 16:05

    I have not yet seen the kit. I've paid for it but have not yet picked it up, and have not had it shipped either...lol. For the price, and for me it seems the way to go. If I have to redo the cylinder in 1000 hrs then that's ok with me, but I believe they use quality components. I'll have a look at the part numbers and manufacturers when I get the kit in hand. Art

  8. #8pjflyer2013-03-18 19:35

    A bit curious on the TBO time. We rebuilt a JD backhoe cylinder 2 years ago with non JD stamped parts. Saved many $$$$, and we're curious as to how long the rebuild will last. So far holding up great, farm machine - so not really sure how many hours get put on it. I'll be b@#%$ing if it doesn't last for a while, plus a gamble on safety and other damage to equipment. Nobody is ever standing next to the thing while in use, so we feel fairly safe trying the non JD seals. Once again I'll be letting my opinion known if they don't last!!

  9. #9Art_H2013-03-18 23:42

    My opinion about aftermarket parts, certainly parts that are only made by a few manufacturers, are often just re-branded. How many companys make Piston rings vs the number of piston ring brands... A quality aftermarket option is in my opinion, a real option. In the new global market, the OEMs may be sourcing from the same suppliers to stay competitive. I need a new swing bearing for my excavator, and I'll be sourcing an aftermarket option. The OEM pricing is just too high for me.

  10. #10pjflyer2013-03-19 02:31

    We have an early 70's Hein going for parts shortly. I've not been dealing with exc all that long, so I don't know if going used is an option, but ring bearing on this one would be available. As a guess 48" or so for diameter.

  11. #11judge2013-06-28 17:08

    pjflyer, could not get back into other thread, but am interested in getting a few of those pads! I just used my last spare, which was a 36 I had to cut. Need spares for sure, not knowing when the next one will let loose,lol not sure how contacts work here. I'm judge1roy at you hoo Thanks,judge

  12. #12Check Break2013-06-28 19:23

    These guys were the gold standard in aftermarket kits. Not sure if things have changed the past 5 years. Call them and ask if their seals are still USA. http://www.herculesbulldog.com/

  13. #13Kemazz2013-07-02 01:24

    Try Hercules Seals out of Florida they are great and usaully have what you need and can next day air, thats all I use

  14. #14pjflyer2013-07-02 23:41

    I found a place in Utah that carries about any seal you need (not sure about kits), plus they can make them according to measurements. Since our machine is older and not original cylinders, I ended up ordering seals individually. I just replaced the seals in the gland nuts and the O-rings (2 cup seals on each). There were 2 that they had to make, but all-in-all $170 for three cylinders. So far holding up nicely. Time will tell.

  15. #15greggn2013-07-04 22:59

    Hurcules have a division in Barrie Ontario. They carry inventory there. http://www.herculesca.ca/