Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

American 185

BDARCHER ยท 2013-02-25 22:36

Im new here and lucky to find this forum. I looking for any info on a early 80s American 185 excavator. I cant find anything on this machine. Any leads would be helpful. It has a Hino engine. Thanks

Replies15
  1. #1BDARCHER2013-02-26 09:31

    Im thinking about buying for farm use for $3500. One drive sprocket is wore out. It will need a new or a used one.

  2. #2BDARCHER2013-03-12 23:00

    I think the 185 is a UH83 or UH100 Hitachi. I have tryed to post pics, but theres a problem with something.

  3. #3kiwi450x2013-03-13 04:01

    I think you need a post or two more before you can post pics. I believe 5 posts is the magic number. Then you're away laughing.

  4. #4BDARCHER2013-03-14 19:56

    Thank you Kiwi.

  5. #5BDARCHER2013-03-14 21:46

    I bought the American. The hino cranked faster than any engine I have ever owned. The machine has been sitting for 10 years, and only has 3500 hrs on it. The track spring per load bolt is broke. I got a operation manual and in need of a parts manual. Any help would be nice. Thanks BA

  6. #6BDARCHER2013-03-22 09:31

    Got a pic uploaded. Wait on truck to move machine home.

  7. #7BDARCHER2013-04-09 23:56

    I couldnt find a sprocket for the machine anywhere. I had to machine the teeth off the old sprocket to bolt a berco 23 tooth 6.9 pitch sprocket rim for a EX200 on the American 185 power-hoe.

  8. #8oarwhat2013-04-10 06:37

    nice work! A friend of mine used to sell American excavators here in Buffalo,NY.

  9. #9ddigger2013-04-10 13:16

    Well done Sir!

  10. #10BDARCHER2013-04-11 09:19

    One side down.

  11. #11BDARCHER2013-04-11 09:35

    Before pic. This is how I bought the old girl at below scrap price.

  12. #12jack3452013-04-11 11:45

    That's what i like to see! Great job.

  13. #13millercross32013-04-11 12:42

    It's alive...IT'S ALIVE (que sinister music) MMMWWAHHHHAHAHA I couldn't resist...esp. when you bring something back from the dead. Looks good and looks like somebody has some of those big tool toys and knows how to use them

  14. #14BDARCHER2013-04-18 20:54

    The machine sprang a leak. Now that was a job pulling and changing the (7) O rings in the rotory manifold. Maybe after this and a few new hoses I can see if it will walk down the hill and dig some dirt.

  15. #15hiluxman2013-04-18 21:27

    that's a new one American and Hitachi