Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Aftermarket Parts and Warranty

Truck Shop ยท 2016-07-22 20:21

Below is a Eaton/Fuller RTLO18913A that was installed around the first part of April. It's out of an owner operator rig. His original trans took a dump at 736,000 so he had this one installed a rebuilt from a national rebuilder. I won't print the name but the color of the case will give it away. The input gear is totally pealed not a tooth left on it. He wanted me to look at it because warranty was denied. Pictures were taken and sent in by the dealer who installed it. It came back as transmission was shock loaded which caused failure.Warranty Denied. The guy who owns this truck is a good driver and easy on his equipment. But this is not the first of this brand that I have seen with a toasted input gear. This rebuilder uses aftermarket gears and shafts. He thought maybe he would have me rebuild it but after looking at it----- it will take the front three gear sets and counter shafts-too much money it's a core only. Note in the one picture that the dealer shop couldn't even install the shift-bar housing correctly. They didn't remove the air slave and plunger pin first before removing the shift bar cover. When they reinstalled the shift-bar housing and just bolted it down it broke the plunger pin and put a slight crack in the case plus damaged the bore. What do you guys think caused this? It pays to only use genuine parts. Truck Shop

Replies6
  1. #1lantraxco2016-07-22 20:25

    The input gear is NOT the place to save money, obviously that one was nowhere near the proper metallurgy and heat treat.

  2. #2Truck Shop2016-07-22 21:06

    Thank you that mirrors my thoughts also. Truck Shop

  3. #3mitch5042016-07-22 22:34

    I am currently dealing with a customer's old ** loader that broke it's front axle support after 43 years. It's not used much anymore, as the customer has 7 other loaders, but it is the only one he has with no ROPS, so it is the only one that can access about $45,000 worth of hay in one old, low barn. I checked on the price of the axle support casting OEM, and aftermarket. OEM quoted $3600, and aftermarket was $643. He bought the aftermarket, and in the process of me installing it, several small bolt holes stripped out at very low torque, so I installed helicoils. Then, when bolting the loader frame back on, with gr 8 3/4-10 bolts, and an OEM torque spec of 325 ft/lbs, 4 of 8 mounting ears cracked at less than 100 ft/lbs. When I ran a file over the edge of what was supposed to be cast steel, it cut like butter. The aftermarket dealer called the manufacturer, who looked at the pics and declared me incompetent. The dealer went to bat for us, and they finally agreed to refund the money, but refused to ship another part, because they said I'd just break it. I called the OEM dealer and ordered one, but the OEM was out of them, and recommended their dealer get one from the only aftermarket manufacturer. They told the OEM dealer they only had 1 in the U.S., but they were expecting one back from "some idiot in SC" and they would probably repair it. So, I ground out the cracks and brazed them up, then modified most of the mounting ears from tapped holes, to through holes with reinforcing plates behind them. I put helicoils in a few of them. To do this, I had to do the entire job of replacing the axle support again. When I ran a needle tip carbide burr through the cracks, it would be cutting metal, and then hit pockets that were filled that with dark gray powder. In the morning, I am going to reinstall the loader frame, and deliver it back to the customer. Thank goodness, it is an hourly job for a good customer, who bought his own parts, and knows what he's eating.

  4. #4walkerv2016-07-25 09:43

    is the outside of the case red? if so i have seen several of those do that in short order, I used to work at dealers and when customers wanted those instead of a genuine rebuilt or one rebuilt in our shops with genuine parts we told them warranty problems were on them if they had any. On a side note if any dealer see that damage to a gear be it in a tranny or a diff its a no warranty automatically (shock load driver abuse ) those rebuilding companies dont always replace gears so that damage probbaly started from one of the gears that was previously shock loaded and decided to let go

  5. #5walkerv2016-07-25 09:45

    sound like you got a cast iron housing not a cast steel one

  6. #6mitch5042016-07-25 20:30

    Yep, I see I skipped that line in the book I wrote.