Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clutch going out in eating fuller

TW94 ยท 2016-07-21 15:46

Hey new here great forum very helpful read a lot of stuff on here but never registered. I had some questions about clutches in non synchronized transmission. I know this is not a truck forum but from read on here before there are some really sharp mechanics on here. I work for a very large trucking company (new driver) um been driving for about 3 or 4 months all in town stuff pick up and delivery no over the road stuff. The first or second week I started driving I burned a clutch brake out when I would come to a stop at a red light stupid me would gear down to 6th then I would push the clutch to the floor. Found out the hard way that was a big no-no. But anyway my real question is I switch trucks a lot well I climbed in last week and it seemed like the clutch was letting out at the very top but at first I just thought it was me. I only drove it maybe 40 miles then another guy drove it for about two weeks he is also kind of a new driver well when the guy that's drove the truck for the past 5 years got back from vacation he was jumping up and down saying I burnt his clutch and I may have I don't know. I usually start it in 1st or 2nd loaded sometimes 3 when empty and flat ground (1st=low). And the only time I ride the clutch is when the trailer is about 3 feet from the loading dock and when I'm backing under a trailer.So like I said I got blamed for so they made a guy that's drove for I think 3 years maybe ride with me well we went in a truck I've never drove before and I did grind the gears some while down shifting he said that's what messed the clutch up in the other truck and went told everybody that it was me that messed the clutch up in the other truck. Now I'm not a big rig mechanic but I've have put a couple of clutches,pressure plates and throw out bearings in cars and small trucks and no matter how much you grind the gears in those it will probably not effect the clutch to much. Well sorry for the novel I wrote . Just wanted some input from y'all thanks

Replies9
  1. #1lantraxco2016-07-21 16:02

    Not to be rude but it doesn't sound like either you (from lack of training) or any of the "old guy" drivers have a clue as to how to shift or what causes clutch damage. Companies that don't train their drivers on the trucks they'll be driving or have their trainer take new drivers for check rides TO GIVE THE NEW DRIVERS HELPFUL ADVICE, not beat them up for improper driving habits, is not worth working for anyway. :my2c

  2. #2Delmer2016-07-21 16:13

    You might have burned out the first clutch brake, but if you burned out the clutch in 40 miles you'd have smelled it and seen it, and so would everybody near by. Lantraxco is right though, what good does it do to assign blame for "burning out the clutch"? did they even KNOW how many miles were on the clutch? or if it needed to be adjusted?

  3. #3RZucker2016-07-21 16:38

    If you drove it 40 miles and then another guy drove it 2 weeks... Who really burned up the clutch? As far as the downshifting, are you floating the gears without using the clutch or double clutching? If you're floating that's not going to be the issue with the clutch. Some companies require double clutching why I don't know, I can drive most trucks without touching the clutch and sound like an auto shift.

  4. #4Truck Shop2016-07-21 19:33

    All three reply's above are correct. My best advise is to learn how to drive without a clutch, even for in town driving. The proper dimensions for a clutch to operate correctly very from one truck brand to another. Weather it be overhead or through the floor peddles does make some difference. However it should have 2" free play at top, and 1 1/2" to 2" of clutch brake from floor or firewall. And be released by 2/3 of the way up. When a clutch is adjusted properly you should only have to push it down 1/3 of it's travel to change gears using the clutch. But the best thing to do is learn to drive without it {then no one can blame you for the clutch problems that were caused by their S#!$%& driving** Truck Shop

  5. #5Shimmy12016-07-21 21:42

    Clutch engaging close to the top is guaranteed out out adjustment. Truck Shop's description is spot-on. While I would agree it's possible to burn it slightly if you're using it to shift, you surely shouldn't put it to adjustment range in 40 miles, unless it was getting close to start with. As far as riding the clutch like you spoke about, as long as your foot is not on the accelerator while you're inching, you're not going to burn it that way either.

  6. #6willie592016-07-21 21:55

    All the comments thus far is spot on, and I suppose my comments only affirm them, two certain ways to cause premature clutch disk failure is 1) lack of free play when clutch is engaged, pedal up, and 2) excessive slipping of clutch when engaging the clutch, imagine starting out in high gear. The start out gear selected should be low enough to get truck moving with least throttle pedal as possible. Once the load is moving, then you can throw the coal to it.

  7. #7walkerv2016-07-22 07:53

    Spot on truck shop , Only us mechanics that actually now how to keep the clutches adjusted to proper specs thru the inspection hole can tell you what free travel will be for a particular brand of truck , macks tend to end up have 2.5 -2.75 inches of free travel while the sterlings I took care of was pretty much spot on at 2 inches free travel . Tw94 my rule of thumb for newer drivers was to write up the clutch needs adjustment when your pedal free travel gets down to 3/4- 1 inch and being a mechanic I would rather drivers write them up sooner then that a little tweek to the adjustment tends to be fast and simple and I would rather do a quick little adj, then a big one.

  8. #8TW942016-07-22 11:19

    Wow that was fast I figured it would be a day or two before someone replyed. Yeah the ride along thing doesn't make since here you have to ride with a certified safety guy which is the guy that only drove for 3 years they will not let me ride with the guys that's been driving 30 years. Most of the trucks are magnificent volvos this truck had 900000 or 800000 miles caint remember. O and I do float the gears the only time I use the clutch is if I'm coming to a stop I may just touch it a little to get it to come out of gear. So the clutch can't be damage by griding the gears ? Thanks for all y'alls advice very much appreciated.

  9. #9walkerv2016-07-22 14:16

    the only thing you will mess up grinding gears is the sliding clutches in the tranny and the shift forks but that is usually from heavy grinding not a light occasianal grind here and there .