Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Aftermarket Thumb For Takeuchi TB250

jbcraftsman · 2019-01-07 12:45

I recently purchased a 2008 TB250 without a thumb. I'm looking for any advice on where to find a good aftermarket hydraulic pin on thumb that isn't going to break the bank. Also looking for an Operators Manual and Service Manual. Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies5
  1. #1KSSS2019-01-08 11:26

    I have a prolink HPF thumb on my TB153 6 ton machine. I love that thumb. I am not sure what that thumb would cost for your machine, and I doubt you could go Prolink on the smaller machine, but it is an excellent thumb. WB would be a more cost effective solution. I have had their thumbs in the past and never had an issue. I just have never really liked the geometry on the grapple portion of their thumbs. However I am kind of anal by nature so my issues may not be yours. If cost is a big driver, I would go to WB. They are well built and cost effective, if you don't have a coupler, their manual coupler is good at a reasonable price.

  2. #2jbcraftsman2019-01-09 09:36

    Thank you for the response KSSS. I finally found a factory take off TAG thumb at a dealership. Looks like it’s been sitting in the yard for awhile but it has all the plumbing and couplers and is unused. Hopefully I can get it cleaned up and it will work well.

  3. #3Canuck Digger2019-01-17 00:26

    If I ever had to add a thumb to an excavator I would always choose a pro-link thumb. They make a world of difference. My JD50C had it and my Hitachi 60USB has just the standard factory thumb. I miss the pro link nearly every day.! Think Tag makes a decent product.

  4. #4KSSS2019-01-18 15:06

    No doubt those prolink thumbs are worth the money. Especially when clearing off trees, logs and such. If you want to price a prolink for your 60, check out HPF they are just below you in Wa. Great prolink thumb with a claw design that works well for the type of jobs we deal with.

  5. #5Canuck Digger2019-01-19 18:13

    Yes, I've looked them up. Good design/product. That's about the only thing I don't like about the hitachi. The factory thumb looks like it came off a 3.5ton. In fact, the cylinder is same size as my 3.5 ton. Sucks for stacking rock walls.