I need an adapter to install a sprocket. The only CAT part my source can find is in Belgium (2 weeks out). A manufacturer in Chicago has the same tool (9S5556) for less than 1/2 price but no explicit warranty. Do you have any experience with aftermarket tools (good or bad)? Thanks. P.S. My concern is tool failure. A friend relayed a story this morning of a D8 sprocket that flew more than 40' when it finally released. That's a lot of umph behind that! I can't afford to slip.
They will come off with a bang, but properly rigged it makes more noise than anything. I would venture to say that adapter would be fine, not all mine are CAT, and they are good. As a side note I can tell you that your buddies sprocket did not fly 40' unless he blasted it off with some C-4 or something.
Thanks, LoneStar. I did go ahead and order the aftermarket tool and trust it will hold for the installation. I question that flying part, too. Nevertheless, even to fly off 10 or 12 feet would be devestating to the person standing in front of it. Thanks for the input. Sockeye
What source did you find for aftermarket Cat tools?
NEVER stand in front of a cylinder doing work like that. The sprocket wont go far, but if part of your tooling breaks, the little pieces are equivilant to a .308 shooting at you. I have a hole in my shop wall where a 1 1/8"bolt head went thru it 16 years ago. For the record it flew about 25 feet and penetrated the wall!
Good point Lonestar. Never stand in front of a pulling or pushing setup. It's worth your life to not do so. For occasional use, I've found the after market parts to usually work fine. If this is work that is done day after day, go OEM and pay the price.