The torque converter has been slipping in my D6R so I took it out and tore into it to find the aluminum impellers and some other parts need replaced. After I buy all new cat parts and the bearing and seal kit I would have way more in parts than I can buy a new aftermarket torque converter with a 6 month warranty. Has anyone had any experience with the aftermarket converters? I am between buying the aftermarket converter, aftermarket parts to rebuild mine, or genuine cat parts to rebuild it. This machine only gets 1000 hours a year on it.
IMO due to the criticality of a torque converter and the "disaster potential" of screwing up a whole load of other things like the transmission which in most cases shares the same hydraulic/lubrication system with the converter I would personally be very wary of using either aftermarket parts or an aftermarket converter. If as you say the machine only clocks maybe 1000 hours a year have you investigated the availability of Cat Classic parts for the iron you need to replace in the OEM converter you removed..?
I sure would never advise anyone to use cat classic anything after my final drive disaster..
Oldirt is there a thread on this your final? I'm replacing a final now , I found a take off that has been inspected and has a 30 day warranty.
reliable aftermarket transmission and torque converter parts If you are looking for a Dana Spicer / Clark Hurth torque converter spare parts. I suggest you to go to atc-mateks(dot)com and contact them, they do shipping worldwide at reasonable cost. They to the production themselves and do have a warantty for their aftermarket spare parts.
I'm with Nige. In my experience cheap parts are cheap for a reason.
They are cheap for not owning an insight industry HISTORICAL brand name and middle guys cost cutting IMO.
Are you feeling lucky... I had good luck with 988b aftermarket torque. But have seen some nasty trans and torque converter failures in hi tracks go near or over 30 grand my preference would be to do anything possible to prevent failure. I had a weld break on after market pin flange. pin fell out bent front pin bosses and pin boss on rear hitch few dollars difference in parts cost thousands in damages. But we all try to save money I'd order the same pins just inspect the welds.
That and they use inferior material and manufacturing processes.