We have a Ford L9000 six wheeler dump with s-cam air-brakes and just changed the front brakes and drums. Everything went together no problem. However when we adjust the brakes, the driver side has what I would call a high spot on it. Meaning that we loosen the adjuster until the tire spins, however it only rotates 1/2 turn then grabs again, fairly hard. It is acting like the drum is warped, however it is a bran new drum. Also when driving it the drum gets very hot, much hotter than the other side. It seems as if something is causing the Drum to not rotate in a circle around the hub and brake pads, but we can not figure it out. Has anyone seen this problem or have any Ideas. Thanks
Even new parts can be bad. That said first thing I would be doing is making sure mounting surfaces were in perfect condition and that attaching hardware properly torqued. Same thing with wheel bearings. Just out of curiosity I would also be looking at the old parts too maybe something there would point to something.
Outboard drums? If so always tighten the brake up hard before tightening the wheel, centering the drum. Hold the drum tight against the hub while tightening the brake.
Bearings and hub ok? Other than that I'm with Greg
I am with both the above, but I would pull the wheel, verify no debris behind the drum against the hub then retighten it and see if squares up. That and I have run into square aftermarket drums more than once in my years.
Thanks for all the help, you guys are exactly correct, cleaned the surface between the Drum and hub then installed the Drum tight to the hub, lightly snugged the wheel lug nuts, engaged the brakes, then tightened up the lug nuts. -- Works great no high spot. I guess I learn something today -- Thanks again