Good afternoon, I have a 3208 in an '82 Ford LN7000. I'm chasing down oil leaks. Had the tranny mount/clutch housing getting wet with motor oil and thought it was crank rear main seal- had it replaced. Then, while parked, running engine to check repaired leak on crank for air compressor, found more drips from bottom rear of engine and around starter motor. Wiped down starter, lip of pan and bottom of clutch housing and ran it again...now I'm not seeing any drips! Oil pan bolts all snug but replacing that gasket is my next step. Top of block and around heads are all dry. I'm just asking the forum: are there any areas I can't see that are prone to leaks? Thanks, DB
They leak between the bellhousing adaptor plate, and the block gasket area. It can leak into the clutch housing through the bolts, or externally to starter or rear block area. The bellhousing is aluminum and the block is steel. The bolts can get just a little loose and it takes out the gasket inbetween the block and the bellhousing. (I don't think it helps that they are aluminum to steel and the different heat expansion rates). The bellhousings are also know to crack, so look yours over closely. Unfortunately the crank seal you just put in, will be ruined when you pull bellhousing to put that gasket in. You're also supposed to use a fancy install tool for the crank seal (I know because I bought one, about $600), and then the bellhousing is supposed to get dial indicator measured to the crank for straight/alignment (I will admit I never did that part). I've done two of them myself, because of oil leaking in that area, and both were the gasket between block and bellhousing. I put locktite on the bolts from the bellhousing to block, and never had either one leak again in that area. One of my bellhousings was actually cracked, the other was fine. Don't call cat for a replacement bellhousing, source one from a junkyard- the cat man quoted me over $10,000 for a new bellhousing, and he didn't know if he could get it.
If you did not put sealant on the flywheel mounting bolts they can leak oil. I run the engine with a sheet of cardboard under it before I put the transmissiom back in. If you have a leak that saves a lot of labor.
Thanks Crane Operator and TenWheeler for your replies. Guess I need to clean up the bellhousing and inspect it closer. I'll try running it again while parked to see if I can spot any leaks. The rear main seal was done by a shop knowledgable about Cats. He even mentioned he replaced the seal on the tranny input shaft while he was in there so, I'm hopeful he would have known to use sealant. The clutch was replaced then, too. Sounds like I need to give him a call to see if that was done. I may be living with that leak a little longer until summer work is done then tackle in the fall. Also have to do like PlaneCrazy and take care of a leaking power steering pump. Thanks guys, DB