Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Air compressor w/ John Deere engine

Fernest0 · 2021-07-31 14:09

Hey guys, I have a Gardner Denver air compressor with a John Deere engine. It has a Roosamaster/Stanadyne injection pump JDB431AL2475. (I will get the engine model number) Does anyone know what model pump would cross to this or anyone who can rebuild it? I rebuilt it 2 years ago, put the new upgraded weight basket in it and it hasnt really worked well since. *This was my first pump rebuild ever* the issue I’m having is the engine will start and run for anywhere from 5 mins to 5 seconds and shuts off. It will do this constantly. Fuel is all good, has new lift pump and filter. Any other suggestions would be welcomed!

Replies9
  1. #1Delmer2021-07-31 14:45

    If I had to guess, I'd say the fuel is not all good. I'm not sure how you could mess up a pump so it only runs for five minutes? maybe thepumpguy knows a way to do it? don't know. I do know that it's far more likely that you have crud in the tank, or lines somewhere. History you've given: rebuilt two years ago (maybe it ran fine everyday up until the pump got hit by lightning, but probably not), ran a max of five minutes at a time since (maybe you keep a guy there to restart it every 5s-5m and you use it all week, but probably not) I'm thinking you have some nasty stuff somewhere in the tank or fuel system. Anything you did or did not mess up on the injection pump rebuild is probably not causing this to die.

  2. #2Fernest02021-07-31 16:47

    We’ll let me back up.. it ran fine up until it didn’t! Haha it ran fine until it started having an issue smoking and stalling. It would run for more than this 5 mins. I pulled the inspection cover on the pump and it was full of the black rubber chunks from the pump seals. That’s when I rebuilt it and it continued the running issue. I replaced the rubber fuel lines in the system, and cleaned and drained the tank. Also replaced the fuel filter. I just figured I messed something up in the pump. Also when I close the air valve off, the engine will idle down and then die. I think that is a separate issue related to the idler/pressure release valve for the compressor side

  3. #3Delmer2021-07-31 18:05

    The chunks were from the governor flex ring. I assumed you knew about that, and that is why you attempted the rebuild? Have you removed the return fitting off the top of the pump and cleaned that out? There may be a clear glass ball and spring or just an orifice? you can run the engine with that removed, but it will leak fuel all over. or clean the fitting and see what happens.

  4. #4Fernest02021-07-31 18:42

    Yes that’s why I rebuilt it. I assumed it was from that. When I had the pump apart I pulled all the fittings apart and cleaned everything. I will pull it again and check and try running it with it off and see what happens

  5. #5Willie B2021-07-31 20:41

    My Stanadyne pump on a JD 410C 4300? CC behaved that way. It'd run strong 2 minutes, then die. Pump guy suggested the little glass ball. Removed it, it ran fine. He cautioned some bad things will happen with the glass ball removed. I ran it a week, then a local guy rebuilt it.

  6. #6Fernest02021-07-31 20:49

    I’m not familiar with what the glass ball is for. Is it for backflow?

  7. #7Delmer2021-07-31 23:35

    The ball is spring loaded check valve, lets fuel flow back to the tank, but tries to keep air out of the pump, you should be able to clear it one way or another, or knock it out aparently. If you keep cleaning it out after the ring is destroyed, eventually the ring falls apart and the engine runs away and goes boom. If you have a new governor flex ring, and this is old crud, then you don't have to worry about that. You'll get surging before the final take off even if the ring is failing, but when it takes off, you have no fuel shut off anymore.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2021-08-02 19:20

    I can redo that pump for ya.. Just click on my screen name for contact information..

  9. #9Willie B2021-08-02 20:29

    Pump guy really knows his stuff.