Didn't know which forum to post in so I picked this one because its sort of related to generators/welders. I have a 1945 Lincoln SA 200 welder with a continental F-162, and I'm try to figure out the year the engine was made to see if it's original. The serial number is 31370 stamped on the block and what appears to be a cast date of 1-16-Q or O on the right side of the block. There's also a rebuilt tag from Lincoln Electric on the block that says it was overhauled on the date of 12-53, bored out .040, std on the main and on the rod journals, and is also stamped 31370. I don't know if continental used the the same numbering system that International used back in the 1940's and 1950's but I have an IH 113 cid power unit that the last character ended in the letter "A" which relates to the year 1955, could this be true for the continental engine also, being that the letter "Q" would be 1947?
You mite try over at the welding web forum. I dont understand why they wanted every thing to be a secret.