I have a project in the works that requires a number of (4 HP) diesel engines and need some input. There are several companys from China building such a engine and I'm wondering if anyone has first hand experience with them? Anyone know what brand has decent quality and what brand to stay from? I'm doing research here so your input is welcome but please dont go turning this into a China bashing thread. Thanks.... Rob
I'm about to order a 6.5 hp engine called a greyhound, so ask me next year and I'll let you know.:beatsme
Mitch....... You have a link to this engine site? I like to look at it.
I was looking at an air compressor with an air cooled china made diesel on it for my service truck but nobody knew anything about them around me, I'm curious as to what you found out about them, any good? any ideas on any of the air cooled diesels at all? If anybody knows of anything post it to inform the rest of us, I was concerned with parts, starting in cold weather and life expectancy vs. the gas engines which I don't really have a high opinion of from past experience.
i was going to buy one to power a generator but got lazy and bought a onan generator.there is a book called- more power to you by h.skip thomsen who used a china diesel to power a generator-he thought it was a great motor. the old phone number i have for china diesel imports is 619-669 1995
Having been to china and done work there and have experience with things here that have come from china I would be highly suspecious of anything coming from china. The forgings, castings of all types, steel and other metal items produced there are do not measure up. Another thing is after sale support. Many off shore companies outside of chinese companies do not give good product support either.
My neighbour ran Chinese air cooled diesel gensets for his camp trailer the last two winters. It appears that with extended use they break. A lot. He can replace pushrods on those things in minutes. Finally one broke something serious on the cam and he bought a big Lister gen set. Problem solved. Maybe they have improved in the last two years but if you need something that runs a lot, you might want to think about a different manufacturer.
Thanks for the information guys, now anybody know where lister diesels are made at and if those have a good parts support system behind them, I've looked at some of those as well but again nobody I know has any knowledge about them other than they are an import, someone thought maybe germany but didn't know for sure.
Randy Google Lister-Petti I think some Lister's are made in India and some in Europe they seem to be very good engines. Saw lots in Southeast Asia many years ago and I believe some old light plants used them (construction light plants), the Air force may have used them also.
The older Listers are made in the UK, not sure about the current ones. They are very common in marine applications, both air-cooled and water-cooled. They are great engines, and parts are available here. However, they are NOT cheap, engines, or parts. P.S. I just picked up a great old 12hp off a marine genset. I am thinking about putting it on my service truck air compressor, but it is the size and weight of a 30 hp gas.
Here is a site with a lot of info on it.Ron G http://railtruck.org/
The lister clones that come out of India are called listeriod and fuking, quite a few guys use them as power generators for off grid use as they will run directly off WVO and once warm straight used engine oil in some cases. It does pay if one buys one new to fully strip it and check for any casting sand as many are known to still have the casting sand in the pots. Regards Bryan
Thanks for the information updates.